Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 08-09-2022, 01:53 AM   #91
Vecchio1
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asgard View Post
I really liked Prey. Great actor and a great lead actress.

Ant -> Rodent -> Rattlesnake

By the way. A Predator is a coward. As soon as things get serious, he turns on stealth mode instead of fighting fairly
Not true, have you watched all the movies? Maybe this one and the last movie, that's it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenLogikos View Post
I think some people are too quick to assume how one Predator behaves, in one movie, as somehow indicative of a how a species (and potentially many races within that species) behaves.

And that's before you even get to the 'code' that they supposedly follow. Well, that last turd of a Predator movie already portrayed a disregard for their rules when it came to augmenting themselves (not that I want to believe that that movie is canon...).

Are all human hunters the same? Hardly. Some are competent, and some morons blow their own damn head off.

Jungle Hunter was blooded (experienced), but not as experienced as Wolf. This Pred was probably youngblood or even unblooded. He was impulsive. It made the movie more interesting, and different from the others. I initially took issue with his behavior, but if you accept he's not the same skill level (and he WAS working his way up the food chain), and you don't want to watch EXACTLY the same movie as Predator (1987), then what are you left with?

I'm happy with the direction, and look forward to other movies showing different cultures encountering the Preds.
Meaningful/insightive post. I'd go young blood. The lure of the predators is so limited still. I like how they mentioned this one was from the Southern part of the Yautja planet.

Being that wolf was brought up....even tho avpr was bad in most eyes. I thought wolf alone made it great. You had an elite/elder predator take on a hive and a predalien all alone. The only predator movie that served true justice to the predator.
Vecchio1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 06:53 AM   #92
The Dark Knight
Jubilee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenLogikos View Post
I think some people are too quick to assume how one Predator behaves, in one movie, as somehow indicative of a how a species (and potentially many races within that species) behaves.

And that's before you even get to the 'code' that they supposedly follow. Well, that last turd of a Predator movie already portrayed a disregard for their rules when it came to augmenting themselves (not that I want to believe that that movie is canon...).

Are all human hunters the same? Hardly. Some are competent, and some morons blow their own damn head off.

Jungle Hunter was blooded (experienced), but not as experienced as Wolf. This Pred was probably youngblood or even unblooded. He was impulsive. It made the movie more interesting, and different from the others. I initially took issue with his behavior, but if you accept he's not the same skill level (and he WAS working his way up the food chain), and you don't want to watch EXACTLY the same movie as Predator (1987), then what are you left with?

I'm happy with the direction, and look forward to other movies showing different cultures encountering the Preds.
Yeah, i would like to see the different cultures encountering the Predators. The Predator Comics, i have enjoyed the most was a back story in Judge Dredd vs Predator. There was a african tribe boy in the story, when he came back from the hunt, he would prove that he was an adult. It was some kind of coming of age tribal rituel hunt. He hunted a lion and when he came back to his tribal village, it was under attack by the Predator. He encounted the Predator and won, losing his entire tribe and an eye. It was all a silent comics, no dialog... Yet so poverful story telling by just panels. I would love that interpreted in to a Film.
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 09:59 AM   #93
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

I enjoyed the movie a welcome addition to the franchise.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 11:29 AM   #94
Asgard
Deadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vecchio1 View Post
Not true, have you watched all the movies? Maybe this one and the last movie, that's it.
I really liked the one with Arnold. I couldn't tell you anything about the others now.

I liked Prey so much that I'll probably buy the Blue- ray
Asgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 11:53 AM   #95
qz33
Doctor Doom

Just a little cross pollination so some don't miss out on the convo:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The SHOGUN View Post
watched Prey last night. Good Movie BAD Predator. The worst, most embarrassing Predator to grace the screen. The look, the feel. This movie's Predator sequences completely lacked the soul of The Predator. Good movie tho, the natives stole the show.

Seeing Prey really has me excited to own this definitive statue of the definitive charcter in 1:3 scale. Look at what we having coming:

this is a masterpiece of a masterpiece.

and that limited edition overpriced 1:3 bust with torso for $899, yes please...i'll take two after seeing the Prey Predator

qz33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 11:54 AM   #96
qz33
Doctor Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottled_Water View Post
Honestly it's just the width of his skull and maybe the slanted eyes that are bad. The tucked in mandibles and his flat profile are good (in my opinion of course).
Quote:
the new predator looks like an first grader tried to draw winstons predator and they used design for the film.from the shoe string dreads to the lack of definition everywhere on the face. The detail here is on the same level with the Rubies AVP Predator mask.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FDS View Post
That is exactly what I thought! The Prey Predator is such a let down! Wanted more of the first Predator or 2nd predator look. This one looked more like that crap they had van dam suite up in when they were first about to do it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenoburger View Post
I loved the film, and the only complaint I have is the feral predator's maskless face. I was shocked to see people on AvPGalaxy praising it and saying it looked "good" or "great". This was easily the most hideous, generic, unimaginative, unappealing predator facial design we have ever seen. By miles. There are some predator head designs that don't look great (Mr. Black, Scar), but this is the first one I've seen that is so far away from what the predator actually is that it might as well be a random CGI movie monster. This is the first one I've disliked so much that I feel disgusted and honestly offended when I see it.

With that being said, I thought the overall predator design was solid and I would gladly own a statue of it (without ever displaying the unmasked head). The armor, the skin texture, the weaponry, the colors & patterns - all well-designed in my opinion. I will say that the elongated giraffe neck did not work for me (nor should it have been a thing in the first place), but I can get over that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinkazama View Post
Watched Prey just recently, and while i agree that the Predator wasn't the coolest looking Pred we've seen, this movie was set at least 2 centuries before the events of the original 1987 Predator movie, so Predators that existed in the 1700's would not have looked like the Predators from previous movies, as they would've had to evolve over time.Overall, Prey was a great movie, with a lot of cool ideas, and the actress who played the lead roll was great aswell.After how incredibly bad The Predator was, i thought the Predator movies were done, but given how awesome Prey was, there's still hope for this franchise yet.......
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddlysober View Post
The unmasked feral predator reminded me of those inbred psychos form the movie Wrong Turn. The biomask looked cool and the bear fight scene was entertaining.
Quote:
Quote:
It was 300 years ago, and that statement makes 0 sense. Evolution to that degree does not happen over 300 years. Look at humans 300 years ago. Or ten-thousand years ago. Or one-hundred-thousand years ago.

Regardless, the director already stated that this predator is a "different breed". Same thing they said about the super predators in Predators. The issue isn't that it looks different, it's the fact that the design is just extremely poor. It's not unique or original, it has no visual appeal, follows no theme, and has 0 personality.
Quote:
If I end up passing on this, and I likely will simply because I won't be able to afford it, I would probably turn my sights back to hunting down the Cinemaquette one day. The Sideshow SWS Maquette never did anything for me. I did notice what appeared to be a lot of recasts of the Cinemaquette last time I checked eBay unfortunately.

I just looked that up. You're right.

Quote:
Wasn't aware that the Predator from Prey was a different breed, so my bad i guess..... [but this Predator looks a lot like what the Predator was supposed to look like in the original 1987 Predator movie[when Jean Claude Van Damme was going to play the Predator, before Stan Winston came up with the design for the Jungle Hunter and Kevin Peter Hall ended up being cast in the role of the Predator].
Quote:
I do see the resemblance. If that was what they were going for, they should have known better. That design was scrapped for a reason.
Quote:
From what i read, it was VERY uncomfortable for Van Damme while in the suit, because Van Damme's head was in the Predator's neck area, and he apparently had to wear stilts while in the suit also......
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade3327 View Post
The Van Damme suit looks like a completely different type of creature.

Having that said, yeah, still a poor design.

Is it the pose?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dundee View Post
Not a fan of the new pred design. Movie is average at best, the last battle scene was terrible, I would have given it a 7/10 but last scene brings it down to 5. Way too many inconsistencies:

1. Ripping off a mandible with her bare hands (a creature with skin as tough as kevlar and bone as strong as bricks).
2. Held down by the neck and managed to kick herself to safety behind the rocks. A preds grip can lift Arnie and adding downward gravity, no way she was going to kick her way out.
3. She places the mask at the EXACT height to level off the aim to the preds head! Also no way a pred would not have heard or noticed the aiming reticle, predators have highly acute peripheral perceptions.
4. The projector went almost 360, and bounced off every tree, shrub, plant and NEVER got embedded.
5. Got whacked in the face and got up like nothing happened.
5. Many other things if I were to watch that scene again. I get what they were trying to go for but the scene was too far fetch.

Also many 'fans' believe the pred tech had not evolved, hence the 'low tech' gear. Incorrect, pred tech had always been there but the gear adjusted to the level of his preys weaponry.

Lastly, fan comments about pred evolved over a 300 year period hence looks different. OMFG, even over a period of 30000 years evolution would be very minimal. Seriously are people getting dumber by the day?

I'd argue this movies last fight scene ranks second last from the films (predator 2018 being on the bottom). Shame the ending couldn't bring it home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danii99 View Post
Solid 8.5/10 film, loved the interpretation of the Predator actually showing it learning & combating Earths apex predators. I agree the final fight could have been better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danii99 View Post
I agree, I personally love the Feral Predator design except for the face.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VILE GUILE View Post
You think just like me when it comes to movies. Lol... First of all, the marketing was so terrible from the start, I was immediately turned off and said I'm not watching this. They were saying the movie will break gender norms and all that typical crap these days. Just like they did with the last Terminator I had to pass on.

I haven't seen it yet, heard just now it was actually good, but after reading what you said, I can tell it will be a let down for me like I knew it would. When they do unrealistic fighting scenes to prop up the strong woman characters, it ruins the movie for me. Besides, what's up with his face? His mandibles are all underdeveloped looking and his mouth is huge... I'm not digging the look either.
Quote:
Still watch it, it's got some gem moments. But man that last scene is such a total let down.

I can suspend enough belief and tank some stupidity in movies but there is a fine line between that and nonsense bs. I shouldn't have expected too much, I mean we got a little lady choking the Rev-9 lol.

It really is a shame and once people come off their highs, that last scene will not age well over time.

I can say at least 80% of people are 8/10 satisfied which tells me it won't get much better than this :-(
Quote:
Since when is its skin as tough as kevlar? Predators have gotten shot before. And ripping off a mandible doesn't seem implausible, the skin and bones are thinner at the mandibles than anywhere else on its body. It's maybe as thick as a thumb, with the added benefit of having a 90 degree bend in one direction. Wouldn't take much leverage to snap it.

She doesn't successfully kick her way out, though. She kicks the ground, but since the Predator is holding her, she only slides backwards and the creature deploys its shield to trap her.

She gets slammed pretty hard into the ground at one point. Not sure which moment you're referring to specifically, but movies in general have so much give-and-take in terms of when characters milk a reaction to a hit and when they get up again that this seems a little nitpicky (unless it's an indictment of modern action films).

My only points of contention with the final battle are:

1. Naru manages to pull the Predator down Black Widow-style after tying the rope around it. Granted, this does happen after the creature's been stabbed numerous times and has lost an arm, so it could be pretty disoriented at this point. It's certainly in worse shape than the City Hunter was in his fight with Harrigan
2. I agree with the placement of the mask being extremely lucky. I think Naru's first idea is getting it to sink in the mud, with the mask being a contingency plan. Having that said, Dutch gets pretty lucky at the end of the first film too. He assumes the Predator will second-guess the passage of spikes and jump down just under the log. The mask is a bit foofier than that, but it's not the craziest turn of events I've seen in this franchise.

I'm more disappointed in the appearance and behavior of this Predator. He doesn't seem nearly as calculating or as alien as he does in the originals, yet he looks the most unrelatable of all of the Predator designs.
Quote:
I'm pretty sure the predators bone density is a lot stronger than ours. I doubt we could even rip a tooth out from a dog, bear or even as shark with our bare hands let a creature that can withstand shotguns blasts. I get leverage, but we are talking about a predators skeletal structure, they can ram through concrete walls.

Re the slide, that's the point, even an MMA fighter would have struggle sliding off from a human hold let alone a predators.

I didn't want to mention the rope tie as I'd spoil the entire movie lol. That scene was cringe worthy though.

Dutch was 50-50 luck. The mask placement was less than 1% chance.
Quote:
My fav scene by far was the horseback fight with the legolas and co. Very pumping and exhilarating, up there with the best. Some of the best camera and scene shots I've even seen. A-grade material.

Everything except when cheating occured, and everyone's IQ went below 50. The potential is there, just so rough around the edges.
Quote:
But she didn't rip off the tooth, she ripped off the mandible where there's a joint. I don't think we can rip an actual tooth from the Predator's gums any more than we can rip the tooth from a bear's, but a finger-like protrusion that articulates? Certainly. At the very least, it can be snapped or dislocated.

Weird hill to die on, but I'll do it. I thought that was the single most realistic part of the battle. Surprised it's taken us this long to see a character attempt it, but most aren't able to get close enough.
Quote:
It's not just bone, there is ligament and muscle too. Fair point about dislocation, but when she yanked it off clean, it felt cheap, like she was tearing off some toilet paper to beat the runs. This pred had big, thick mandibles, almost as thick as her wrists. Certainly as thick as a bears fingers. Its lazy writing.

Realistically she could have poked it in the eyes with her fingers, but I guess that'll be a little too comical
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matson1984 View Post
I thought Prey was a solid 8/10 for me. Probably the best one since predator 2. The predator itself I thought was pretty intimidating. Sure he looked very different but as mentioned he was a different breed. With the mask especially he looked pretty badass. He also looks better when you use a good picture and not a 360p screen grab like the previous one posted lol. If that thing was chasing me id for sure be crapping my pants.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MASTERSAFARA View Post
I don?t understand how the Feral Predator sees through its mask.
Old 08-09-2022, 11:55 AM   #97
qz33
Doctor Doom

Quote:
The shape of the head and position of the eyes reminds me of Feral's face. Whether that was their intention or not.

Mostly, but also the paint. The whole piece has never impressed me much to be honest.

None of the advertising said anything about "breaking gender norms" that I can recall, so if that's your invalid reasoning on why the marketing was terrible it's clear what your actual thoughts are. The film did not exaggerate her capabilities because she's a woman. That's just something misogynistic -----holes were hoping would happen so they could spew more hate and vitriol. If anything, her brother was a better fighter, a better shot, and an all-out badass. That was kind of the point though, and he even says something to that effect to her - she was better at improvising/planning. That's how she wins. Same as Arnold.

The fighting issues Dundee has brought up are not a big deal for me because it's the same stuff we see in any film. None of it was in-your-face or anything we haven't seen before. And it absolutely had nothing to do with the fact that she was a woman. I don't imagine any human character would be getting up so quickly and jumping back into the fight after being thrown 10+ feet. But many of them did. And they almost always do. In just about every movie that has ever existed.

The mandible scene did irk me a bit. Like Blade said though, it wasn't a tooth - it was a joint. I can see a person snapping a predator's mandible with their bare hands. Like a human finger. I don't think she should have been able to rip it off so easily though. Very small issue not worth taking points off IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PivotRyder View Post
I loved the design of the predator. Its probably just me but I see a lot of Native American influence in its design with its complexion leading into its long straight "dreads" and even its physique. Would not mind a statue with a dynamic pose down the road maybe with a 1:3 bear and him stabbing up into it?
Quote:
you know, as lousy as this is.... actually would've LOVED if they made this new movie based on JCVD Predator design. It always had a Power Ranger villain feel to it for me. It would've added something to the franchise that we haven't seen before.
Quote:
Great point about the evolution period of 300 years for civilization that is 100,000 or 1,000,000 or 100,000,000 years old. i wasn't a fan of the Preds primitive weapons. i dont like the argument that because he was fighting natives, he was a more native looking Predator, with more primitive weapons and ways of doing things. It's cute everything matchy-matchy but that's not how things would be. this logic if they make a Predator in the Medival Times is he going to be fighting the barbarians with Predator type flails and swords in Predator chainmail looking like Medieval Spawn. It's a slippery slope. as far as design and behavior and Predator-persona, this movie went rumbling down the slope and it has to be corrected on the next one, otherwise he's gonna be taking selfies and doing only fans by the 10th & 11th installment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by qz33 View Post
Quote:
i think it's def worth your time to give it a spin, VG.

The first 3-5 minutes there are multiple pieces of dialog trying to hold the young female down and keep her in her "place". but aside from that there is not much of that in the film aside from the men disagreeing that she should be on her own.

There are goofy questionable scenes in every single movie. Even in the first one, when the Predator blasts Dutch and it hits his gun and isn't a direct hit an Dutch tells Ana to GET TO THE CHOPPA. a couple scenes back the same blast takes off carl weathers arm and the same blast blows a hole in Jesse the Body's body

the look is horrible. with the mask on, it's passable, but still it reminds me of a bad cosplay Predator. If i say this at a convention i would say...not bad but needs a lot of work.

the final scene with the Wolf fights the PredAlien is pretty horrible, this was nothing compared to that. It reminded me of the Scar Predator fighting the Queen Alien Rd2 but a much sloppier much darker, more dumbed down fight.

People don't like AVP, it's certainly flawed, but the awesome parts of AVP are AWESOME. better than the good parts of the other non-1&2 Predator Films.

AVP has the honor of having the single greatest gif in the entire Alien & Predator Franchises. This gem, everytime i see this i get excited:

look how graceful and acrobatic the Scar Predator is in this shot. Sure he wasn't like this in most of the movie, but this is how the Predators should move: graceful like a gymnast and explosive when they are landing their shot.
Quote:
Yes, and Predators should NEVER make friends with humans, like the Scar Predator did in AVP........
Quote:
the end scene of AVP where the Scar and the Woman were running was horrible. i remember seeing in in the theatre and people were laughing at how silly it looked.

but i think the saying goes the enemy of my enemy is my friend. It's silly but the teamed up in the comic.

Quote:
I think the lady in AVP actually says, ''The enemy of my enemy is my friend'', and if a human and a Predator teamed up in an AVP comic, i guess that's why they included it in the AVP movie......
Old 08-09-2022, 01:51 PM   #98
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

ZenLogikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 02:01 PM   #99
Augen
Metal Men

I watched it in Comanche and French and felt really immersed in the period. The Predator escalated as a threat and was genuinely scary tearing through the trappers. I liked how Naru kept learning aspects as she failed and saw others fail to figure out a way to beat it. Nice flip on the whole mud scene, I was worried they were going to copy paste the original.

Overall I liked it as much as any Predator film I've seen and it was miles better than the last entry.

Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 04:26 PM   #100
Xenoburger
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

I'm not seeing any proof for the argument that the predator's weapons were supposed to mirror native American weapons of the time, or that he himself more closely resembled the natives than other predators.

The only new weapons he had were not things I think of being used by native Americans. Maybe the mace/club? I didn't see any Comanche using a mace in the film though.

What other weapons did we see? Spikey-bracelet that de-limbs people (new), spear gun (Predator 2), wristblades (every predator), shield (new), spear (almost every predator), mace (new), mines/wrist "nuke" (AvP:R/most predator films)

As for his physical appearance, I guess he had less armor and longer hair? /shrug

He obviously limited himself when fighting less advanced or capable prey to even the odds and increase the challenge, like the wolf and bear. That doesn't mean he does not have access to more advanced technology. We still see him fly in on a spaceship and use the cloaking device...
Xenoburger is offline   Reply With Quote