Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Books, Literature & News

Old 07-27-2005, 06:47 PM   #11
JM28Cardiff
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Come on, even they didnt know where they were going with that whole "Countess Thoreaux" thing or whatever it was! With the Lana/Cark thing on hold, they had to come up with some storyline for Lana, but that was lame!
JM28Cardiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 11:06 PM   #12
DDura711
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM28Cardiff
Come on, even they didnt know where they were going with that whole "Countess Thoreaux" thing or whatever it was! With the Lana/Cark thing on hold, they had to come up with some storyline for Lana, but that was lame!
Okay yeah, that was a bad story line. But I really like the way they developed the whole story about the way Clark gains his powers and learns about his path. Can't wait to see where they go with everything.
DDura711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 11:17 PM   #13
Jesse321
Galactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confessor
I never have gotten this show, and really, not gotten why true supes fans like it. It screws with the mythos so much.
The show (with some exceptions) could very well fit into the revamped version of Superman. In the revamped version Superboy never existed, he was never a member of the Legion of Super-Heroes and Clark didn't even become Superman until way after college ... so the show could be made to fit the current continuity.

Besides that, who ever said the show was made to fit any comic book format anyway? I've been a Superman fan for over 35 years (Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman and X-Men we're what got me started in comics) and I think the show is a great way of reinventing a classic character into modern times.
Jesse321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 11:21 PM   #14
DDura711
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse321
The show (with some exceptions) could very well fit into the revamped version of Superman. In the revamped version Superboy never existed, he was never a member of the Legion of Super-Heroes and Clark didn't even become Superman until way after college ... so the show could be made to fit the current continuity.

Besides that, who ever said the show was made to fit any comic book format anyway? I've been a Superman fan for over 35 years (Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman and X-Men we're what got me started in comics) and I think the show is a great way of reinventing a classic character into modern times.
Well said Jess. I guess some people can't just enjoy stuff without putting to much into it.
DDura711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 04:37 AM   #15
Ghost
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDura711
Well said Jess. I guess some people can't just enjoy stuff without putting to much into it.

Ditto. Always nice to see a fresh take on a classic story while still holding true to all the characters.
Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 07:25 AM   #16
Confessor
The Avengers

Quote:

Besides that, who ever said the show was made to fit any comic book format anyway? I've been a Superman fan for over 35 years (Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman and X-Men we're what got me started in comics) .....
I see your point and all, but I never thought of the Supe's mythos as "Superboy" (and all that crap) anyway. So we're okay on that point. But I am very, very cerebral, and as such, I cant/dont want to enjoy a format that takes such bizzar departures from the classic Superman mythos.

For one thing, what's silly to me is that all these "superheroes of the future" just happen, for whatever reason, to "stop by" this little nothing of a town in the middle of Kansas. And, whadaya know...it just happens that (the future) Superman lives there. What a "coincidence"!

To me, they're "going against the grain" of the Superman mythos (I[m not a stickler of exact Supes history, b/c it's been so erratic over his time) by having the "meteor rocks" create all these "villians" so they can have an "adequate challenge" for Clark. By doing all of this, theyre trying to force a round peg into a square hole.

And what about the "x-files meets Dawson's Creek"? That to me seems to fit well. Don't you see the connection? All these long pensive stares b/w Lana and Clark with this silly-stupid teenybopper "fresh and cutting edge" theme music that starts playing....like the band is playing in Clark's farm loft or something. It's so cliche and overdone.

And what about the way they handle the characters? For example, some "villainous kid" w/ "meteor rock" super powers dies....what, almost every week....and no one seems to care/mourn/(harldly) notice? If this happened that way, wouldnt this whole town be on some military lock down or something? It's just so bizzar that it's too much for me to suspend disbelief at a comfortable level......
Confessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 07:29 AM   #17
lord odin
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confessor
I see your point and all, but I never thought of the Supe's mythos as "Superboy" (and all that crap) anyway. So we're okay on that point. But I am very, very cerebral, and as such, I cant/dont want to enjoy a format that takes such bizzar departures from the classic Superman mythos.

For one thing, what's silly to me is that all these "superheroes of the future" just happen, for whatever reason, to "stop by" this little nothing of a town in the middle of Kansas. And, whadaya know...it just happens that (the future) Superman lives there. What a "coincidence"!

To me, they're "going against the grain" of the Superman mythos (I[m not a stickler of exact Supes history, b/c it's been so erratic over his time) by having the "meteor rocks" create all these "villians" so they can have an "adequate challenge" for Clark. By doing all of this, theyre trying to force a round peg into a square hole.

And what about the "x-files meets Dawson's Creek"? That to me seems to fit well. Don't you see the connection? All these long pensive stares b/w Lana and Clark with this silly-stupid teenybopper "fresh and cutting edge" theme music that starts playing....like the band is playing in Clark's farm loft or something. It's so cliche and overdone.

And what about the way they handle the characters? For example, some "villainous kid" w/ "meteor rock" super powers dies....what, almost every week....and no one seems to care/mourn/(harldly) notice? If this happened that way, wouldnt this whole town be on some military lock down or something? It's just so bizzar that it's too much for me to suspend disbelief at a comfortable level......
I agree with you on all of this.
It was an ok show once but the shark has not only jumped but it`s dancing.
lord odin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 08:31 AM   #18
Jesse321
Galactus

They don't just happen to visit there they're created there because the kryptonite has created most of them, which is a great way of explaining how they all turned up ... Bart Allen didn't "visit" Smallville, he visited Metropolis where he ran into (no pun intended) Clark by accident.

Superboy was very much a huge part of the original mythos, so your just choosing and selecting which pieces of the mythos your sticking to, which I don't understand ... Clark didn't arrive on Earth as an adult.

As to the Legion, the reason they were created was because they wanted to emulate Superman (and the Justice League), who was (And were) the greatest of them all.

And in a real world, Jessica Fletcher would have been in jail because it always seemed that no matter where she went, people were getting murdered all around her. Sometimes TV has to be taken for it's entertainment value only.

And to be perfectly honest, I tend to doubt you would have wasted any of your time watching "Dawson's Creek" ... even I'm not that crazy
Jesse321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 01:30 PM   #19
Confessor
The Avengers

Quote:

And to be perfectly honest, I tend to doubt you would have wasted any of your time watching "Dawson's Creek" ... even I'm not that crazy
Yeah, you're right there. I've never seen an episode. But I was trying to think of a summary of Smallville, a cross between "X-files and [insert melodramatic teen crapfest where "hip" music is played at every overacted teen moment=Dawson creek?]"....and Dawson Creek is the only thing I came up with. 90210 maybe?

But tying so many of the DC superheroes to Kryptonite seems darn right silly. I MUCH prefer the DC heroes have their own special origins. The way this program does it, it's like it's some mutation or something...silly...And if a planet blew up light years away, how SO MUCH of it end up on earth, having traveled at essentially the same speed as Clark, seeing that they arrived on earth together....too much suspension of disbelief for me.
Confessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 01:36 PM   #20
MiamiLoco
BD is the best (and I'm not talkin' about Bowen Designs)!!!

Man, when you bring in Aquaman is when you know it's really hard to bring in any other character into the show. They wanted to bring in Batman but because of rights issues, they couldn't. The only reason they are bringing in Aquaman is because nobody really knows about Martian Manhunter, LOL!!
MiamiLoco is offline   Reply With Quote