Jedi Order

No Regrets by Ace Frehley
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 07:14 PM   #682
Babytoxie
Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
That's kinda where the toys, posters, models, etc ... stopped. Twilight Zone, Munsters, Adams Family, Hammer was winding down, etc ... were all off the air at that point. We all moved on to the Partridges & Bradys. I found The Stones & Zep a few years later ... then, it was really over.
Understandable!
Babytoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 02:07 PM   #683
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Finished "Hand of Fire," a critical assessment of Jack Kirby's art and storytelling intermingled with the progress of his life. Have read many books about Kirby, this one really stands out as exceptional

Then moved on to Eisner/Miller, a transcribed conversation between Will Eisner and Frank Miller that lasted for several days. They covered so much ground and it was an absolutely fascinating and incredibly enjoyable read.

Then moved on to "Angry Optimist," biography of Jon Stewart. Love Stewart and The Daily Show and this book was great for his history and insight into his drive and humor.

Now reading "Man of Rock," the biography of Joe Kubert. Only just started it but already sucked deep into it. Wonderfully researched and very engaging writing style.

Last edited by wktf; 01-28-2016 at 12:50 AM.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 12:08 PM   #684
strife87
Spider-Ham

Was at the bookstore the other day and found the prequel and the novelization to the arkham knight game which I had just finished so I checked them out, thought they were pretty good reads.
strife87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 03:28 AM   #685
abarron
Batman

Finally finish the Narnia collection and moved on to Dessert God by Wilbur Smith

Love the series and been waiting to pick this up for a while
abarron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 04:53 PM   #686
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

I read "Black Widow: Forever Red" a few months back and really enjoyed it, but haven't done any reading since then, which is actually a bit unusual for me. I am normally a big reader and am usually already reading something or am just about to read something. And I normally have at least a couple books already purchased and ready to read, but my backlog dried up and I had nothing new to read, which is probably why I haven't read anything since Forever Red.

Anyways, I was cleaning up my email account (an ongoing struggle for me) and came across emails from the Science fiction book club and Double Day book club, neither or which I had visted in some time. So I wound up logging on to both sites to see if any books had been added that I was interested in and I guess I just havn't kept track of my credits very well at all as I wound up having 6 credits for Double Day Book Club and 12 for the Science Fiction Book Club or basically I had the ability to buy 18 books free of charge. Gotta love that!

So I basically went a little crazy and wound up cashing a buch of them in. I wound up purchasing "The Wind Through the Keyhole: A Dark Tower Novel" by Stephen King, "The Wind-Up Girl" by Paolo Bacigalupi, "The Years Best Science Fiction (32nd annual collection)" by Gardner Dozois, "The Golden Princess" and "The Desert and the Blade" by S.M. Stirling, "The Cinder Spires: The Aeronaut's Windlass" by Jim Butcher, "Ultimate Star Wars" by Dorling Kindersley Editors, "Species Imperative" by Julie E. Czerneda, "Leonardo da Vinci and the Secrets of the Codex Atlanticus" by Marco Navoni, "The Horse: The Epic History of Our Noble Companion" by Wendy Williams, and "Boris Vallejo and Julie Bell: Dreamland".

So I have a bunch of new books headed my way. Will probably start off with the first on the list, "The Wind through the Keyhole" as I am a huge Dark Tower fan and just had no idea that a new stand alone title had been released. Either way, my backlog is filled back up again and I will soon have plenty to read coming my way!
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 10:34 AM   #687
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Currently reading "A Prayer for Owen Meany" by John Irving. Haven't read anything of his since "The World According to Garp" over 30 years ago. Understand from his interview with Stephen Colbert that "Owen Meany" is his best selling book, despite the the fact that "Garp" and "Ciderhouse Rules" both were made into films. Half way into this one and really enjoying it.

Last edited by wktf; 12-31-2015 at 02:59 PM.
Old 12-31-2015, 12:16 PM   #688
protector2814
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
Currently reading "A Prayer for Owen Meany" by John Irving. Haven't read anything of his since "The World According to Garp" over 30 years ago. Understand from his interview with Stephen Colbert that "Owen Meany" is his best selling book, despite the the fact that "Garp" and "Ciderhouse Rules" both were made into films. Half way into this one and really enjoying it.
I loved this book in my 30's & read it 3 or 4 times, it's that great. Let us know what you think. I saw John Irving speak once & he was in the process/early stages of writing this book. It was fascinating & as I read it, I recalled much of his process. I like this book even more than Garp. They tried to make a film of Owen but it wasn't very good. I found the book unfilmable on account of Owen's character which was a good thing imo. The movie was called Simon Birch. You may wanna give it a watch after finishing the book just to see how they did.

Last edited by wktf; 12-31-2015 at 02:59 PM. Reason: Correcting my typo in the book's title.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 02:32 PM   #689
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
I loved this book in my 30's & read it 3 or 4 times, it's that great. Let us know what you think. I saw John Irving speak once & he was in the process/early stages of writing this book. It was fascinating & as I read it, I recalled much of his process. I like this book even more than Garp. They tried to make a film of Owen but it wasn't very good. I found the book unfilmable on account of Owen's character which was a good thing imo. The movie was called Simon Birch. You may wanna give it a watch after finishing the book just to see how they did.
I've heard of that film. Didn't realize the source material. I'll be sure to post my thoughts about the book.
Old 01-03-2016, 11:01 AM   #690
Babytoxie
Ghost

Reading several collections of poetry by John Updike. I'd read a few of his novels, with mixed results, but had never realized he was such a prolific poet. What's more: it's all very good.
Babytoxie is offline   Reply With Quote