Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 11-06-2017, 06:04 AM   #1
DiscoCougar
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Anyone watch Jim Lee sketching on Twitch?

I just watched him for the first time earlier today, and it's... odd.

I guess you have to subscribe to his channel, which rates between $4.95, $??, and $24.95. And then there's a separate donation where if you end up being his top donator for that day you can request a character to be sketched for the next weeks stream. BUT! You don't get to decide what scale he's gonna draw (bust, 3/4 sketch, head shot), and then you don't even get to keep it. You have to be one of the three tiered subscribers, and depending on what he (decides to) draw(s), he randomly selects a name from the chat who gets to "win" the sketch.

And Jim just kinda sticks to talking to people he knows in chat (is the impression I got). There were certainly a lot of questions and comments being made that I don't expect him to sift through. But he would answer a lot of weird, inside jokes with people. I don't know... It was great watching him draw, but the entire experience was awkward feeling - like I didn't belong. I think his moderators were a couple of people from Sweden even, and they weren't answering general questions newbies like me had about what all was going on.

Anyone else watch him sketch? It seems like you have to pay money to have the chance to ask him to do a specific character, hope that he draws the scale you want, and then pay more money in the hopes that he'll randomly choose you to win (that other person's requested sketch)
DiscoCougar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 12:32 PM   #2
boibleu22
Brotherhood of Evil Mutants

It's all completely random. This weekend he only drew one, but he'll generally do three different characters and once they're done, assign them to be the random sketch given out at each tier.

It's all random. Once he does the draw, he'll request people who want to participate in the draw for that tier to comment in the chat window. Just because you're a sub at a certain tier does not mean you're in the drawing.

You pay money to support the artist. Simple as that. As a perk, he gives out his sketches. If you're paying money to simply HOPE that you win, you'll likely only get leave disappointed and bitter.
boibleu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 01:14 PM   #3
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

no thank you

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 01:27 PM   #4
carlito1978
Hellfire Club

were there a lot of watchers? and do you have to watch the whole thing?

the art is beautiful. and if its $25 for a chance to win (depending on the number of watchers), it seems like a decent deal.

the problem for me is, that the streams ive scrolled through on replay have been really dry. and the time commitment for me is more of the challenge than the money.
carlito1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 02:17 PM   #5
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by boibleu22 View Post

You pay money to support the artist. Simple as that. As a perk, he gives out his sketches. If you're paying money to simply HOPE that you win, you'll likely only get leave disappointed and bitter.
Does Jim really need $ and support at this point in his career?
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 02:22 PM   #6
boibleu22
Brotherhood of Evil Mutants

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefixit2 View Post
Does Jim really need $ and support at this point in his career?
Probably not, but that doesn't mean fans wouldn't want to support him regardless.
boibleu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 03:17 AM   #7
DiscoCougar
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

I just happened to catch his stream today, and it looks like he's doing silent auctions for some sketches he does. Today was a bust up Wolverine sketch he did in about 30 minutes that someone won for $3200.

If anyone's desperate, this is a direct chance at possibly owning a Jim Lee piece that you'll have no input on (character, pose, size, etc)
Old 02-12-2018, 06:04 PM   #8
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

30 minutes and he made more than most people make in 2 weeks. That's incredible.
Old 02-12-2018, 08:24 PM   #9
carlito1978
Hellfire Club

So u have to be a subscriber and a bidder now?
carlito1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 09:55 PM   #10
DiscoCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlito1978 View Post
So u have to be a subscriber and a bidder now?
It's all a random toss up. It looks like he changes the requirements for how you can be eligible to win something from month to month. There's no notion that you have to be a subscriber to bid, and I think no matter who you are, if you're willing to pay he'll be willing to sell.

He randomly decides what he wants to draw during every stream. The first time he was streaming, it used to be that he would randomly choose a name from his subscriber list to tell him what character they wanted him to draw. Then when he was done, he would randomly choose another subscriber name as the winner of that drawing. And the drawing was random as well. Even if the character was chosen by someone, the pose and the costume were all his choice while he might only do a head shot, a bust up, or a 3/4 on a whim. This weeks drawing was supposed to be a simple warm up that he got lost in and spent an hour and a half on (an alternate modern Harley with a machine gun). When he was done and only had 20 minutes of the 2 hour stream left, he kinda decided to do a Wolverine bust up that he spent extra time on and dedicated 30 minutes to. When he was all done, for no reason the Harley was given away and he decided to do Wolverine as a silent auction, and someone won with a $3200 bid =/

As far as I can tell, if you subscribe to his stream you're eligible to be a random winner for whatever drawing he decides to do. But he'll randomly choose a name out of everyone that's watching him during that particular stream - so you have to be there watching. And I don't know what tiers he's doing anymore. At first he separated drawings depending on their sizes and depending on what kind of subscriber you are. Full subs would get a shot at the 3/4 drawings (again, only if he did one on that day), then bust ups would be the bit donators, and finally head shots would be the amazon prime subscribers. If he drew your name before you subbed, he would pull another name (and it's happened twice already, lol).

It's all just a mess if you're only in it to get a free sketch. It's interesting to see him draw live, so if you ever remember and have time on a Sunday at 10am you can check him out. But it's worth noting that if you're desperate and are lucky enough to see him draw something you really want AND are doubly lucky that he puts that piece on the silent auction, you have a shot at obtaining a Jim Lee sketch for a lot of money.