Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 08-11-2018, 04:40 PM   #1
mmk123
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

A Bi-Racial Black Canary

https://www.cbr.com/birds-of-prey-bl...iracial-actor/

So what do we think? Black Canary is my all time favorite heroine between both DC and Marvel so I like to see the character portrayed with respect both in the comics and in media. When I first read this I was like "what" and the more I thought about it I do not have a problem with it. Provided the character is written with dignity and respect yet still retains the essence of the character in the comic I am fine. Hopefully with all the talk of the Birds of Prey movie that means that DC will get their but in gear and get us another Birds of Prey comic.
Old 08-11-2018, 04:48 PM   #2
Mister H
Green Goblin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmk123 View Post
https://www.cbr.com/birds-of-prey-bl...iracial-actor/

So what do we think? Black Canary is my all time favorite heroine between both DC and Marvel so I like to see the character portrayed with respect both in the comics and in media. When I first read this I was like "what" and the more I thought about it I do not have a problem with it. Provided the character is written with dignity and respect yet still retains the essence of the character in the comic I am fine. Hopefully with all the talk of the Birds of Prey movie that means that DC will get their but in gear and get us another Birds of Prey comic.
Not trying to rain on your parade brother, but with the current state of DC films, I don’t think it will matter what direction they go with Black Canary. I know that’s a doom and gloom viewpoint, but they’re gonna have to put out a series of good films before I will get excited about DC movie news.
Old 08-11-2018, 05:02 PM   #3
mmk123
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister H View Post
Not trying to rain on your parade brother, but with the current state of DC films, I don’t think it will matter what direction they go with Black Canary. I know that’s a doom and gloom viewpoint, but they’re gonna have to put out a series of good films before I will get excited about DC movie news.
Well, I have not seen Justice League, Batman vs Superman or Suicide Squad but since the movies got less than favorable reviews from both fans and critics alike, I do see you point. I did think that Wonder Woman was fantastic and I am hoping that film is used as an inspiration for forthcoming DC movies on how to do a movie right.
Old 08-11-2018, 05:17 PM   #4
Mister H
Green Goblin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmk123 View Post
Well, I have not seen Justice League, Batman vs Superman or Suicide Squad but since the movies got less than favorable reviews from both fans and critics alike, I do see you point. I did think that Wonder Woman was fantastic and I am hoping that film is used as an inspiration for forthcoming DC movies on how to do a movie right.
WW was easily they’re best one in a while. Some folks say it was just a fluke but I think Patty Jenkins really gets it when it comes to telling a super hero story. If they were smart, they would put her in charge of the DC films.
Old 08-11-2018, 08:34 PM   #5
jpuli28
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

Im glad you dont have an issue with it. But I think the younger ppl fail to see the motivation behind race bending. Its purely political and for DCs perceived benefit, not for the sake of the characters development and certainly not for fan outcry.

They continue to race and gender bend instead of creating a new character and build on that with its own merit. Its insulting to think a race or gender has to hijack an established character to be popular.
Old 08-11-2018, 11:14 PM   #6
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpuli28 View Post
Im glad you dont have an issue with it. But I think the younger ppl fail to see the motivation behind race bending. Its purely political and for DCs perceived benefit, not for the sake of the characters development and certainly not for fan outcry.

They continue to race and gender bend instead of creating a new character and build on that with its own merit. Its insulting to think a race or gender has to hijack an established character to be popular.
Unless being white is a character's defining attribute, calling it "hijacking" is just being melodramatic.

Commissioner Gordon and Batgirl were black in The Lego Batman Movie, and that didn't ruin the movie or make it "political".
Old 08-11-2018, 11:25 PM   #7
jpuli28

To you of course not. But nonetheless you missed the entire point of my post. And although I didnt see that Lego movie, its clear there was no need to make those well established characters a different race other than to be social justice warriors appealing to some false sense of oppression in America. What other purpose did it serve? It surely is political. And hijacking was clearly a figure of speech, don't take it so literal.
Old 08-11-2018, 11:26 PM   #8
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
But nonetheless you missed the entire point of my post.
No, I think your point sucks.
Old 08-11-2018, 11:27 PM   #9
jpuli28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothamite View Post
No, I think your point sucks.
Well you havent been known to exhibit common sense anyway. DC has obviously become more like sheep in the snowflake movement and I don't take to supporting those who choose to not stand for themselves or their decisions fearing what others might think. Lead not follow, create new characters to embody and stand as role models, not change those long established for sake of misguided political correctness.
Old 08-11-2018, 11:31 PM   #10
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Well you havent been known to exhibit common sense anyway.

Quote:
Lead not follow, create new characters to embody and stand as role models, not change those long established for sake of misguided political correctness.
You have posted this repeatedly across several threads, yet you never reference the fact that...DC has done this repeatedly across the decades. It's as if your awareness of comic book characters is stuck in the 1970s. Just one example: earlier this year, a black heroine got her own title. (It's pretty damn good, too, better than some of the "big" titles.)

Closed Thread