Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 01-24-2021, 05:34 AM   #1
Indomitus
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Shipping charges increase in Jan 21

Anyone else notice that the shipping charges went up this month for Sideshow? I was eyeing a few pieces when in check out my eyes popped out of my head. In particular it was one of the Prime 1 pieces with 2 boxes that looks like almost 20% increase? Anyone know how much it actually went up? I know UPS announced shipping increases around 5% but is this a case of GreedShow?

Indomitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 05:46 AM   #2
Python
Omega Red

I considered treating myself to the Prime 1 cracked tusk Predator the other week via Sideshow. Fed Ex was $598 shipping which obviously put a quick end to that idea. That said Prime 1 themselves have ridiculous shipping costs currently. I presume that they are passing these on to Sideshow also so it might not be entirely SS's fault if they don't already have the items in stock. Prime 1 seriously need to get their act together regarding shipping, I saw one UK customer have an $800 surcharge added to his existing order. They will put themselves out of business at that rate as presumably the high majority of us would cancel rather than pay that kind of unexpected cost.

I haven't really looked seriously at any Sideshow produced items in a long time so can't speak for the shipping costs on those?
Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 07:27 AM   #3
zeheero
Justice League

Quote:
Originally Posted by Python View Post
I considered treating myself to the Prime 1 cracked tusk Predator the other week via Sideshow. Fed Ex was $598 shipping which obviously put a quick end to that idea. That said Prime 1 themselves have ridiculous shipping costs currently. I presume that they are passing these on to Sideshow also so it might not be entirely SS's fault if they don't already have the items in stock. Prime 1 seriously need to get their act together regarding shipping, I saw one UK customer have an $800 surcharge added to his existing order. They will put themselves out of business at that rate as presumably the high majority of us would cancel rather than pay that kind of unexpected cost.

I haven't really looked seriously at any Sideshow produced items in a long time so can't speak for the shipping costs on those?
I disagree with you on that notation that Prime 1 Studio has anything to do with shipping prices going higher. Prime 1 Studio do not own FedEx or UPS or DHL or economy shipping, they are just like any company that is currently subjugated to the COVID.

I mean seriously guys, do you expect the Prime 1 Studio cut $500 on your statues because you being charge $500 plus for shipping. You do have a option from Prime 1 studio to hold off shipping for now. You can ask Sideshow to hold the shipping till the prices of shipping has drop.
zeheero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 07:42 AM   #4
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

I think we will start to see some action when, inevitably, the costs of their logistics solution start to impact their sales performance.

This will be particularly true for companies like P1.

I think, and HOPE, one of the obvious effects - medium to long term, is that these companies will start to seriously consider manufacturing and production in the EU and the US. Or maybe I should say, dispersed regional production. Having all their eggs in China might mean huge savings related to labour costs, large state subsidies, and generally low "business" regulation - but all of this is becoming moot due to the low competitiveness of their supply chain solutions.
Silas Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 07:48 AM   #5
Python
Omega Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeheero View Post
I disagree with you on that notation that Prime 1 Studio has anything to do with shipping prices going higher. Prime 1 Studio do not own FedEx or UPS or DHL or economy shipping, they are just like any company that is currently subjugated to the COVID.

I mean seriously guys, do you expect the Prime 1 Studio cut $500 on your statues because you being charge $500 plus for shipping. You do have a option from Prime 1 studio to hold off shipping for now. You can ask Sideshow to hold the shipping till the prices of shipping has drop.
Did I say anything of the sort? Or did I simply say that the rising costs at Sideshow may not be greed as implied, but due to the costs coming from Prime 1's end? After all Sideshow have to ship them from China and then ship them again to the customer.

That said, you aren't seriously telling me that it costs $800+ for Prime 1 to ship an relatively averaged sized statue from China to the UK? No other company of this kind seems to have such surcharges. I don't expect anything, but Prime 1 currently have about $3k of my money sitting in their accounts. If they add such costs two those two orders, I will be cancelling them regardless of who is to blame. Hence they need to get their shipping costs in line before they lose too many orders. We don't have the option for economy shipping still. That might be a good starting place.
Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 08:31 AM   #6
French Cancan
Deadman

Since camel transport is excluded, there are still two modes of transport: by air and by sea. I doubt that sea shipping is as much affected by covid as air transport. I also doubt that Chinese companies could survive with shipping costs similar to those claimed by Prime 1.
I only have one pre-order right now at Prime 1, and the cost of shipping has already increased by $200.
Needless to say, I'm not in hurry ordering something else.
Offering longer but cheaper sea transport should be an option for every non US customer.
Another solution would be - and this is also true for Sideshow - that they have warehouses in Europe and the US. ( Australia also )
Anyway, with prices like these, they’re sawing off the branch they’re on.
French Cancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 08:47 AM   #7
SDguy

I'm not sure what is going on with P1 shipping. I wanted to take advantage of their previous sale but the shipping made it a no go for me. I've been getting custom statues shipped directly from China this past year, and even the biggest one, a box that won't even fit in my car, was $450. A 1/4 scale Colossus with two entire torsos (!) was $290, and that was just paid last month.
SDguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 09:05 AM   #8
craigcliff1
Zot

months ago PCS Starscream was $157.00 to ship, then about a month ago it was $241.00. Shipping when I started collecting was $10.00 to $20.00 coast to coast with PF, then go to 2014, 2015 started to go up, Got P1 Bats 1/3 few years ago for $40.00 shipped, now Starscraem is almost 7 X that to ship

MY IA Hulkbuster with 2 80lbs boxes was $400.00 shipped from Asia to US.
craigcliff1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 09:19 AM   #9
Lonewolf65
Luke Cage

I just looked at the Cracked Tusk Predator, added to basket and selected DHL as shipping method...£242.37
Lonewolf65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 11:01 AM   #10
FETTFAN
The Herculoids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Python View Post

That’s a significant difference between DHL $320 compared to FedEx $598

On top of the shipping add 26% import fees it makes these pieces less attractive to import into the UK
FETTFAN is offline   Reply With Quote