Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 01-06-2020, 12:08 AM   #21
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vracula View Post
There is nothing cuddly about this Dracula. He is sarcastic but cuddly no. The third episode is a let down but in the first two episodes he is a straight up psyochopath who revels in despair and torture. Encompassing all of Dracula’s characteristics minus the humor.

I don’t think these guys were going for potraying the original to the Tee , I mean look at the Sherlock series they created , it’s a reimagining, I have no problem with reimagining providing the chore characteristics are still there. They took their liberties and failed miserably in the 3rd episode, but the first 2 episodes are probably the best dracula reimagining I have seen.
I don’t think this Dracula encompasses all of the novel’s Dracula’s characteristics. Stoker’s Dracula is evil, cruel, brilliantly strategic, efficient and careful in his actions. He is not giddily psychopathic. Stoker’s Dracula does torture Renfield and Harker, but not blatantly and joyfully. His cruelty and savagery is swift and merciless, rather than playful. This is not the Dracula of Stoker’s fiction. I feel that the Christopher Lee, Jack Palance and Louis Jordan versions are far superior to this one.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 12:30 AM   #22
Vracula
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
I don’t think this Dracula encompasses all of the novel’s Dracula’s characteristics. Stoker’s Dracula is evil, cruel, brilliantly strategic, efficient and careful in his actions. He is not giddily psychopathic. Stoker’s Dracula does torture Renfield and Harker, but not blatantly and joyfully. His cruelty and savagery is swift and merciless, rather than playful. This is not the Dracula of Stoker’s fiction. I feel that the Christopher Lee, Jack Palance and Louis Jordan versions are far superior to this one.
He has preety much has all those characteristics that u mention (as far as I could see), as to how he “Torments” Reinfield and Harker is certainly not swift, merciless yeah and arguably playful, it is what separates him from other fictional monsters and their mindless attitude towards killing.He is after all considered the physical manifestation of the devil .

The Hammer Horror versions are great and all but is from a different era, we like dissecting our monsters these days, horror needs to be more mentally visceral these days than just fangs and spitting blood.
Vracula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 06:23 AM   #23
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Quote:
That last episode was a disappointment.
I agree with you here. Epsiodes 1 and 2 are fantastic. I was actually okay with the direction of the 3rd episode but the execution was disappointing.
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 09:33 AM   #24
KaraFan
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Yeah why is there only 3 episodes? That makes no sense but then again I haven't watched it yet.
KaraFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 02:21 PM   #25
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraFan View Post
Yeah why is there only 3 episodes? That makes no sense but then again I haven't watched it yet.
BBC series are usually 3-4 episodes but they run around 90minutes each.

It's the same for shows like Sherlock and Luther.
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 02:47 PM   #26
KaraFan
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-a-tron View Post
BBC series are usually 3-4 episodes but they run around 90minutes each.

It's the same for shows like Sherlock and Luther.
Oh OK, I didn't know the run time for them so that makes it better....thanks!
KaraFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 04:51 PM   #27
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
He has preety much has all those characteristics that u mention (as far as I could see), as to how he “Torments” Reinfield and Harker is certainly not swift, merciless yeah and arguably playful, it is what separates him from other fictional monsters and their mindless attitude towards killing.He is after all considered the physical manifestation of the devil .

The Hammer Horror versions are great and all but is from a different era, we like dissecting our monsters these days, horror needs to be more mentally visceral these days than just fangs and spitting blood.
Dracula’s actually not the physical manifestation of The Devil, at least not in Stoker’s book. Stoker’s character is extremely mentally visceral. He’s not a mindless beast bent on fangs and blood. He’s a terrifyingly powerful strategic thinker while also being both a subtle, careful but ruthless predator. This character is not the same as the source character.

This show, first episode anyway, is fine for a generic vampire movie, better than most, actually. But it’s not Dracula based on the source material, even if many of the supporting characters are the same.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 06:00 PM   #28
Vracula
Jedi Order

Quote:
Dracula’s actually not the physical manifestation of The Devil, at least not in Stoker’s book. Stoker’s character is extremely mentally visceral. He’s not a mindless beast bent on fangs and blood. He’s a terrifyingly powerful strategic thinker while also being both a subtle, careful but ruthless predator. This character is not the same as the source character.

This show, first episode anyway, is fine for a generic vampire movie, better than most, actually. But it’s not Dracula based on the source material, even if many of the supporting characters are the same.
It was always meant to be reimagining though, we have served stokers Dracula in all the best ways. Knowing the creators previous works I had a sense of what I was getting, treating it like a horror mystery to understand and outwit a truly evil being adds more to the dracula mythos than has ever been done . In many ways Dracula is a serial killer and seeing him tackled as such was truly the show’s high point. Seeing his rules debated upon with him was brilliant.

As far as I am concerned Claes Bang made the perfect dracula from a visual standpoint and his wicked demeanour and for what Dracula represents and is highly representative of the current need for more celebral and polished TV drama’s. I have seen the hammer horros and I am not exactly rushing to resee them , Dracula 1992 is where I go to get my fix , thematically this show fits right in and will be far more palatable to audiences who want some thing more rich.
Old 01-06-2020, 06:04 PM   #29
Vracula
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-a-tron View Post
I agree with you here. Epsiodes 1 and 2 are fantastic. I was actually okay with the direction of the 3rd episode but the execution was disappointing.
It was incredibly Jarring though. The gothic world they had built in the first 2 episodes was unbelievable. I feel like I will be watching only the first two on repeat and will skip the 3rd entirely.
Old 01-06-2020, 11:06 PM   #30
Meteor Man
Imperial Guardsman

Quote:
Just finished the first episode and I’ve given up on it’s being true to Stoker’s book. Yes, he’s evil, but his jokester and wise cracking personality is off-point. I wish Jonathan Harker wasn’t treated the way he was in this series. Certainly, the horror aspect is really well done. I’m in for the next two episodes, but the treatment for this Dracula’s just not the same as Stoker characterized him. He might as well not be Dracula.
I'm with you Joe...this one's not my thing either.
Meteor Man is offline   Reply With Quote