Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 01-27-2014, 05:46 PM   #661
SideShowJoe
Inhumans

So now we have new problem, before i can even think about getting acrylic panels i need to get the right doors because i just went out to garage and we looked at doors and they are in fact white, so what do i do? Try and paint these brown or take them back to ikea and play dumb and say they gave me wrong ones?? And see if i can get black-brown??

Sarah
SideShowJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 05:54 PM   #662
built2shred
Phoenix

Ikea should be able to just swap them for you. Might call ahead just to make sure. Just tell them you got the wrong color doors and want to exchange them for the right color ones..
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 06:00 PM   #663
SideShowJoe
Inhumans

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
Ikea should be able to just swap them for you. Might call ahead just to make sure. Just tell them you got the wrong color doors and want to exchange them for the right color ones..
Ok, yeah I'm going to do that! I didn't even take anything out, just opened the one end to look down and check that they were in fact white so I'm sure they could take them back!!

EDIT : Thanks built2shred really appreciate it, looks like i will be heading to ikea very very soon to exchange this out! Just called ikea and they were very helpful and i told them i was an idiot before i left store to check to make sure everything was correct! Anyway long story short they will let me return them and exchange for the black door skeleton! Funny thing is you can't find these by doing simple search but they helped me and gave me correct article # which is 802.502.74

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/pr...ery=802.502.74

Sarah
Old 01-27-2014, 06:16 PM   #664
SuicideAnomaly
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideShowJoe View Post
Ok, yeah I'm going to do that! I didn't even take anything out, just opened the one end to look down and check that they were in fact white so I'm sure they could take them back!!

EDIT : Thanks built2shred really appreciate it, looks like i will be heading to ikea very very soon to exchange this out! Just called ikea and they were very helpful and i told them i was an idiot before i left store to check to make sure everything was correct! Anyway long story short they will let me return them and exchange for the black door skeleton! Funny thing is you can't find these by doing simple search but they helped me and gave me correct article # which is 802.502.74

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/pr...ery=802.502.74

Sarah
I was just about to post the link to that skeleton.

Looks like you're good to go now!

One last thing, I would highly recommend going with acrylic over glass. It's clarity is much higher than glass, so I feel it's the better choice for collectibles.
SuicideAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 07:06 PM   #665
SideShowJoe
Inhumans

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuicideAnomaly View Post
I was just about to post the link to that skeleton.

Looks like you're good to go now!

One last thing, I would highly recommend going with acrylic over glass. It's clarity is much higher than glass, so I feel it's the better choice for collectibles.
Yeah thanks a lot suicide and showing me the white skeleton to go with my black brown shelves

Just messing it was my fault in the end anyway you were just helpful enough to help me find the skeleton!

Also I'm taking all your guys advise and I'm using acrylic paneling but need to know what measurements to have them cut. As you know suicide I'm running the 59 x 93 in pax black brown and will only need two pieces one per door but don't know what measurements would be.

Sarah
Old 01-27-2014, 07:10 PM   #666
SuicideAnomaly
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

Quote:
Yeah thanks a lot suicide and showing me the white skeleton to go with my black brown shelves

Just messing it was my fault in the end anyway you were just helpful enough to help me find the skeleton!

Also I'm taking all your guys advise and I'm using acrylic paneling but need to know what measurements to have them cut. As you know suicide I'm running the 59 x 93 in pax black brown and will only need two pieces one per door but don't know what measurements would be.

Sarah
I would recommend waiting until you have the skeleton of the door in hand and then measure the openings(remembering to add the additional area covered by the frame) . Make sure you measure the thickness as well.

The instruction manual of the frame might actually state the measurements of the openings, as well.
SuicideAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 07:26 PM   #667
SideShowJoe
Inhumans

Quote:
I would recommend waiting until you have the skeleton of the door in hand and then measure the openings(remembering to add the additional area covered by the frame) . Make sure you measure the thickness as well.

The instruction manual of the frame might actually state the measurements of the openings, as well.
So maybe just get one door and assemble it partially so you can measure what the two panels should be?

Sarah
Old 01-27-2014, 07:26 PM   #668
Bmutha
I like to make what's yours mine.

Quote:

Yes, just measure the door frames once you have them in hand. It's IKEA stuff, so the door frames may vary from piece to piece.

I have done the PAX mod, and it's worth the effort. My PAX is the 79" high x 59" wide unit, and I used the AULI door frames. I just bought the frames without the glass inserts. Actually, the cost of the door frames and the acrylic panels was cheaper than they would have been with the glass inserts from IKEA.

Be careful when installing the acrylic...it scratches easily, and it is VERY staticky once you remove the masking. It will pick all dust/hair in the room...so watch out you don't get a hair stuck between the frame and the acrylic panel...it's really annoying and tough to get out!
Bmutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 07:31 PM   #669
Bmutha

Quote:
So maybe just get one door and assemble it partially so you can measure what the two panels should be?

Sarah
I used the Auli door frames for mine. There is a lip all around the frame that holds in the glass/acrylic. I measured the clear opening between the lips plus the small amount under the lip. I subtracted about 1/16th of an inch from the height and width to make sure it fit in there smoothly.

Again, I have the 79" x 59" wide unit. My acrylic panels were each 76-15/16" high x 29-11/16" wide x 1/8" thick.

Old 01-27-2014, 07:41 PM   #670
Bmutha

For those interested, here are some pics of a Besta unit with a modified VARA door.

I cut the middle out of the door (well, my father-in-law did it for me at his shop), leaving 2.5" along the vertical sides and 2" along the top and bottom.

I used some pre-glued, iron on melamine cabinet edging from Home Depot to cover up the cut edges.

Then I screwed a piece of 3/16" acrylic to the back.

Here is how it turned out:

I have more pics and instructions here.