Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Sculptor's Pit Stop

Old 05-20-2016, 10:34 PM   #1
yugdablos
Doh!
Adamantium Plus Member

Question: Armature wooden base boiling and separation from the sculpt

Hi everyone, I am new to sculpting. In fact, I am still learning the theories and best practices. I have been watching several sculpting tutorial videos in youtube. What I get so far, when sculpting full human superhero characters with various poses, I think I better do it with an armature such as: steel wire and wooden base. But there are some knowledge I am still searching currently.

1. When using a wire armature, it will tied strongly to the wooden base. So it makes the final sculpt sticks strongly with the wooden base. When the bake time comes, do you bake the wooden base with the sculpt? The problem is that I am planning to boil my sculpey sculpt (I dont have oven at my flat), and wood (as the base) tends to be broken in water. Do you have any suggestion on boiling sculpey sculpt with the armature wood base?

2. I really would like to make my own custom sculpted base (not a standard wooden base). So far I have browsed about sculpting tutorial videos with armature bases, they all stick their armatures to wooden base. How can the sculpt get separated from the wooden base if the wire is strongly tied to the wooden base? How can the sculpt with armature be attached to another base? I cannot find a tutorial video on how to separate the sculpt from the wooden base. All videos are about how to create and use armature, and not to separate.

Thank you very much for viewing. Looking forward to your advises.

Last edited by yugdablos; 05-20-2016 at 10:42 PM. Reason: Add description to the title, as a question
yugdablos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 06:29 AM   #2
Darrengodzilla
Doh!

https://youtu.be/g6J71NK2Vog have a look at the video by the shiflett brothers. No wooden base. Just another way of doing it.
Darrengodzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 10:46 AM   #3
yugdablos
Doh!
Adamantium Plus Member

Waw, that is very useful for me. Thank you very much Darren.
yugdablos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 02:00 AM   #4
lchunleo
Fantastic Four

thanks for the video link. From the video, i noted that he build the armature base with the wire but in a flash, it seem to be able to detach from another base. am puzzled
lchunleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 04:45 AM   #5
lchunleo
Fantastic Four

how to make sculptured base like those in sideshowtoy or prime1 studio? thanks
lchunleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 07:51 AM   #6
noysan3001
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchunleo View Post
thanks for the video link. From the video, i noted that he build the armature base with the wire but in a flash, it seem to be able to detach from another base. am puzzled
it's simple. He cut the wires on the feet which acts as a based and attaches a peg/pin. He inserted the sculpture with the newly installed peg/pin in a piece of wood which now acts a new base. Covered the wood in aluminum foil and clay and sculpted the base out of it.

This also answer your second question.
noysan3001 is offline   Reply With Quote