Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Giclees/Lithos/Prints/Posters

Old 10-19-2016, 12:24 AM   #6801
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
Well, I'd never actually buy all of them even if I were a hardcore HP fan, which I'm not. Totally agree on the repeated images and I'm not a fan of giclees either. That said I quite like a few of the entries from a strictly artistic perspective. Namely The Half Blood Prince. I think in terms of a single print (again not looking at it as a set so much) they represent the film's nicely.
Yeah, Half Blood Prince and Prisoner of Azkaban are easily my favorite. I'm not a Potter fan myself but my wife definitely is. Still considering picking up a couple as a gift to her. It's just those little details make the purchase a somewhat difficult to justify.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 12:32 AM   #6802
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Those would be the two I'd pick if I had to. Prisoner of Azkaban is my favorite HP film and had these been screen prints I may have picked that one up. The Half Blood Price is the coolest looking print of the group to me though. Love the light from the castle and the imagery in the clouds.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 12:41 AM   #6803
Luminous
Cyclops

Not to mention the Half Blood Prince is the only one that seems to have that Olly Moss vibe.

You don't think it would be odd to only have two or three of these hanging on the wall? That the prints really only work if they tell the whole story from beginning to end?
Old 10-19-2016, 12:54 AM   #6804
Simplyrob
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matches Malone View Post
I was wondering why the face on Vicky was so janky. I was tempted by the set but ultimately went for just the BTAS variant as there is a hybrid uniqueness I just had to have. First print I've bought in almost a year.
Dude. His wip's of her were awesome! They looked great! Then they heard from her camp and he had to change it. I will say this, her left ankle looks weird to me. It's flipped the wrong way?
Simplyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 01:10 AM   #6805
Matches Malone
Bub Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplyrob View Post
Dude. His wip's of her were awesome! They looked great! Then they heard from her camp and he had to change it. I will say this, her left ankle looks weird to me. It's flipped the wrong way?
Nice but heartbreaking to know. Do you have a link to the wip's?
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 01:18 AM   #6806
ReplicantSavior
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Pretty sure that was done because they were having issues with the rights on the regular. It turned out being Basinger that was the issue. I like them both! Congrats!
Figures. She's beautiful and when I first saw the print I thought her likeness was off. Still do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matches Malone View Post
I was wondering why the face on Vicky was so janky. I was tempted by the set but ultimately went for just the BTAS variant as there is a hybrid uniqueness I just had to have. First print I've bought in almost a year.
That's a long time but there have been some good ones. The best Terminator print was released by DaVinci Dreams. Mark Englert made an awesome Aliens print. A few other good ones too that I picked up.

Quote:
Did he post them or can you? Surprising that they went with what they have over something better.
ReplicantSavior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 01:18 AM   #6807
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
Not to mention the Half Blood Prince is the only one that seems to have that Olly Moss vibe.

You don't think it would be odd to only have two or three of these hanging on the wall? That the prints really only work if they tell the whole story from beginning to end?
I dunno, I understand the telling the story angle but as a casual fan I'd be happy with just one of them, two tops. I don't think it would look odd having your favorite pair hanging next to one another. I just couldn't see myself personally investing in and hanging that many prints with only slight variances in the imagery. Personal preference aside I do think the smaller 16x24 size makes displaying them as a set a bit more accommodating. They probably would look cool lining a hallway.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 03:25 AM   #6808
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
You think so? I mean I think they're pretty good but there are some things that bug me about this release.

1. They're 16 x 24 yet they're $50 each

2. They're giclees yet they're $50 each.

3. It's the same repeated layout across 7 prints and they're $50 each.

4. You would need 7 prints to complete the set yet they're $50 each.

Not to mention these seem a little phoned in for a talented artist such as Olly Moss. And I think that right there, in addition to the Potter franchise, is the real reason behind some of the details of this reason. I dunno. Maybe I'm just disappointed they didn't use the actual book covers he did for Pottermore instead.
Bummer on the size and giclee, but I find myself really liking these. The ebook covers are great, perhaps better. I dunno. May change my mind the more I see these.

I do like the consistency of Hogwarts and framing each composition against it - Hogwarts being the consistent setting and focal point that it is.

And all seven would be $350 individually, but $275 for the set.
ZenLogikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 07:49 AM   #6809
Vracula
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavehawk78 View Post
Was able to buy the variant Englert "Shall we dance" from Bottleneck today.
Dammit I was desperate for that.
Vracula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 01:58 PM   #6810
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenLogikos View Post
Bummer on the size and giclee, but I find myself really liking these. The ebook covers are great, perhaps better. I dunno. May change my mind the more I see these.

I do like the consistency of Hogwarts and framing each composition against it - Hogwarts being the consistent setting and focal point that it is.

And all seven would be $350 individually, but $275 for the set.
I never looked at the set price. Well at least that's something. Makes the set a little more appealing.