Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 12-21-2014, 02:39 PM   #1
The Mule
Kindly Asked To Leave

Marvel Inhumans and "Ihuman" serie

I've never been an avid comic reader.
I like the Inhumans, a lot. I think they're much better than the X Men as an "alternative" kind of heroes. I liked the Jenkins/Lee "Inhumans" run.
I think that the Inhumans are more interesting because they're really different. They're not just persecuted humans with powers, like the X Men.
Their society, their tradition, their psychology are different, have an "alien" vibe to common people. They have uses and costumes that common humans and most superheroes can't fully understand.
Overall, I think they have a hell lot of potential.

That is, I used to think that, until I picked up the most recent series going on. As I said, I've never been an avid comic reader, so I just discovered that Marvel pushed aggressively to have Inhumans as a major player in their universe, probably in place of the X Men, for the future movie.
Fact is that, Marvel is handling them ugly. I read Infinity, Inhumanity and the current Inhuman serie. They way Marvel handles the events is plain bulls**t.
You just read through the issues and you have to GUESS what's happening and what's happened cause it's a continuous "this happened on NEW AVENGERS #4598!", "if you want to know how it goes, buy AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #32484!", "see UNCANNY X MEN #23498 for reference!". And so on. Even by chasing those issues, you're still left with a lackluster narration of a lackluster plot.

What people should get by these readings, is that Inhumans basically settle everything by blowing up their own city anytime they can and just restart over. In the current runs, nothing of their society has been left intact. The caste system, the slavery, the eguality through diversity, the fact that each Inhuman is a very specific "race", different than any other.
Nope, sorry. Now it's just as if someone mixed up Digimon with a crappy Full Metal Alchemist, and there you go. The over cartoonish and anime drawing style doesn't help either.

So enjoy the great king of the Inhumans spending his whole time chained and brainwashed, 'cause obviously this extremely evoluted race of super-mutated guys is so dumb to always fall for the same tricks, performed by the same people.
Enjoy Medusa turned into the psychotic Queen of Bondage, "because AXIS, and f**k you".
Enjoy Karnak going full retard and completely act out of character, while genius level intellect Tony Stark takes ten minutes to push a button.
Enjoy people surviving multiple shots by Black Bolt, when his mere whisper should "level mountains".
Oh, by the way, did I mention that these guys fall FOR THE SAME TRICKS anytime? 'cause you thought that Inhumans going against a brainwashed Black Bolt was stupid the first time, wait until the same thing happens exactly in the same way, right in the same issue.

I seriously don't get why anyone, at Marvel, should think any of this is interesting to the reader?
They designed the Inhumans to be different. Now everything seems planned to conform them to teenage level random mutants from a random B-list anime serie.
Why can't they just make it serious? Handle things like they should, and not like everything was tailored for 10-year old kids? Why do they prefer to have the best damned Inhuman all chained up for the whole time, 'cause his character and powers are too hard to manage, instead of working on him to make him easier to fit into a story?

Man. Sorry for the long rant, but as a casual comics reader, this is frustrating. I just want to focus on the characters I like, I don't want to be forced to pick up every single issue of every single storyline to get into things.
Same happened with the Magneto serie. I was enjoying some fine and mature reading, with Magneto delivering badassery every other page, until BOOM, "let's cross this great storyline with AXIS!", and suddenly there's s**t and piss all splattered on the walls and I feel violated.
Meh.
The Mule is offline   Reply With Quote