Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Painter's Pit Stop

Old 12-07-2008, 02:20 AM   #1
Tellmyre
Fantastic Four

Cleaning Airbrushes

Well, I did an experiment this evening that worked great. I had some old Aztek nozzles that had dried caked acrylic paint on it, as well as a Badger stainless steel cup. I pondered on how to get them clean, as the ultrasonic cleaner just did not clean them. Then it occurred to me, how is this any different than stripping a kit. So I experimented with one nozzle and the cup. I soaked them in Easy Off Oven Cleaner for about an hour or so.

Guess what - worked like a charm with no apparent damage to the airbrush parts of concern. I should mention that I dismantled the Aztek nozzle (3 pieces). Now I know how to rescue air brush parts I did not clean as well as I should have.

Pete
Tellmyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 02:33 AM   #2
endsongjen
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

i always figured that would work but was afraid to try it.. lol!
endsongjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 05:17 AM   #3
moon_knight1971
Rescue

I like to either shoot Acetone through my brush after 4 hours of use or soak the head unit in acetone for 5 - 10 minutes. Works everytime.
moon_knight1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 09:37 PM   #4
invaderkat
Frackin!

Hum. Well.... for my airbrush i use alcohol for the most part. I take a little cup and take apart the whole airbrush and soak all the parts in there as i get the rest clean. I use alot of q-tips for most of it, sometimes ill take most of the soft stuff from the end if i need it to be a little less volumous pending what part i'm cleaning. The trick then comes to the smaller parts. I usually find a really really skinny wire to clean, guitar strings if you strip them can do pretty well, and i clean, always checking the insides against the light. My only recomendation ist be really careful with nozzle. When i put it back together i put lube at the tip of the needle, and on the spring. It seems to work better after that. Smoother.

Hope that helps!
invaderkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 07:36 PM   #5
Banshee
Doh!

Every once in a while I will drop the tip into a jar of water and drop a Denture cleaning tablet into the jar and let it sit for an hour or two, afterwards I rinse the parts off.
Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote