Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 12-04-2016, 08:47 PM   #3731
SuperDinoHunter
Hellboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanesg View Post
Just want to clarify... this is what everyone seems to be disappointed with?

Looks like one of sideshow better production pieces to me.

PUMPED!
Also pumped for this. Pre ordered day one! Looks awesome!!!
SuperDinoHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 09:27 PM   #3732
loricstone
Kang

Location: Don't come at me stupid or I'll Sammamish your candy ass!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by COI View Post
No.

I'm expecting to get commensurate quality to some of the better SS production pieces I already have.

Give me the quality of eyes we got on the Batgirl PF...

Give me skin tone like we got on the Prize dio...

Give me a paint-job on the base with similar complexity to the Queen of Blades statue...

Why do people keep disregarding all the times Sideshow has pulled off difficult/complex pieces to keep beating the same "don't expect the prototype" drum, ESPECIALLY with a piece like this where the price was raised significantly?

Why does no one address these points?
Because no other 1/4 statue from SS that I know of is almost full skin.

And for the record I have addressed those points numerous times. But lets get something straight. Lobo is mostly mixed media with only a little subtle shading on his skin. Deadpool is all gear..so there is no need for shading. I bring these two up because they are practically identical to the proto. But once again...those protos weren't super fabulous paint ups of characters with tons of skin showing.

Lastly, if anyone doesn't think this paint up isn't better than the first Red Sonja...then I don't know what to say...because from all the production pics I have seen...they blow away the first RS...I mean truly blow it away.
loricstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 09:42 PM   #3733
loricstone
Kang

Location: Don't come at me stupid or I'll Sammamish your candy ass!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finisher View Post
Possibly you dont own many well painted statues? For example: I am no real fan of ARH anymore because of their horrible customer service, long delays and bad communication. But nearly every ARH piece is well shaded. And on their mostly skin statues this looks great. Not compared to a pro-paintup , but nearly every piece ( I own many statues of this company) is well done on paintup. Their pricing for this: not more as SS. Their production numbers? Muich lower as SS. "Red Sonja" is also no char you have to pay high amounts for using the name. So if you pay 550 USD you really accept a plain dull skin colouring without any shadings? On a character-statue with 80% skin ? Sorry no ! Thats sad !

And to make it clear: I love this sculpt. SS is doin awesome sculpts lately, and I love SS for this ! And the paintup truly isnt "bad".

But this paintup does NOT justice the "new high" 550USD pricing or an equivalent value for this amount. It has a smell of moneymaking out of a good (awesone) sculpt, by getting higher margins in trade for a good paintup. AND THIS is really a sad point for a collector!
ARH is your fallback??? Really?? ARH has decent paint ups at best. Flat nail color on the toes and fingers that are the same as the skin...that alone is a huge turnoff for me. Poor packaging out the wazoo...the worst in the industry AFAIC..scratching up the paint. Inconsistent CRISP paint apps. Oftentimes, select characters with skin (Athena for example) have a flat paint app.

If you want to talk about great paint apps that match and in some rare instances exceed expectations...then you need to go to XM and Prime1. WYSIWYG. Of course every company has select issues every so often, but that is a much better thing to fall back on. But also, those statues by those respective companies run from $700 - $2000 dollars...so they should be at proto level or very, very close to it. This SS Red Sonja is absolutely done well. Furthermore, the pics I have seen are so damn inconsistent due to schizophrenic lighting from one pic to the next. Even without shading, she looks pretty damn spectacular.

I don't have any stake in this statue as I am not buying it, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't tempted after seeing the production pics. So far people have only pointed out the negative and haven't even sniffed at the positives. Oftentimes, I can overlook shading on skin tones because the lighting I have does nothing to really show the shading...but I can tell if a paint app is neat and the lines are crisp or not. RS seems no different so far...but I guesss we will truly be able to tell once people get her in hand.
loricstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 09:54 PM   #3734
Shanesg
Green Lantern Corps

ARH.. lmao.

It baffles me how they are even still in business.
Shanesg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 10:13 PM   #3735
Mr. Nice Guy
New Republic

Since we're off topic, should I sell my entire SW Mythos collection? I'm really considering it.
Mr. Nice Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 10:58 PM   #3736
SolidLiquidFox
Savage Dragon

If you have to ask then you probably won't miss them when they are gone.
SolidLiquidFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 12:54 AM   #3737
Nugchompa
Captain Marvel

ARH certainly has a lot of issues, but some of my best looking statues are from them.
Nugchompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 01:26 AM   #3738
actionjackson83
Midnighter

not really, all the lady statues I've received from them have hot messes for face paint.
actionjackson83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 03:26 AM   #3739
Mr. Nice Guy
New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidLiquidFox View Post
If you have to ask then you probably won't miss them when they are gone.
perhaps. Thanks.
Mr. Nice Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 04:50 AM   #3740
67L88Stingray
Doc Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nice Guy View Post
perhaps. Thanks.
Sold mine, 1/5 is fail scale.
67L88Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote