Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 08-13-2015, 05:04 PM   #1
Shiz
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

Post Artist Recommendations for Multiple Character Commissions

Last year I commissioned an artist for a 2 page spread (two 11x17 boards taped together) featuring 7 or 8 characters, based on positive feedback and work I've seen here.

It was for an idea I've had for many years and haven't been able to shake. When I asked this person if they could handle it, they said no problem, they get way more complicated requests than mine all the time. All they wanted were reference images and a thumbnail sketch of what I had in mind.

I paid in full, sent them what they requested and was given a target date of 2 1/2 months for delivery. When that day came and went, I was told that this person needed more time. No problem, the final product was my main concern. I could be patient.

Then the new ETA was missed. The artist had professional responsibilities that took precedence -- none that they ever warned me about in advance, mind you... -- and this would be the first of many additional delays.

Each time I was very understanding, and each time I got an "You'll have it by [INSERT DATE HERE]" promise.

It all sounded very convincing.

When it occurred to me that if I had conceived a child at the time I sent payment, that child would have been born by now, I finally put things on Front Street and inquired what was really going on. After all, I'd seen them accept and complete MANY other commissions over the same time period.

I wasn't rude or unprofessional, I just asked for an honest assessment. And to this artist's credit, they fessed up that they had started it but not progressed very much, offering me a refund, which I accepted.

I'm not sure what the problem was. The main characters involved were all ones I had seen the artist take on before. It's a great concept that I think the artist would have killed, and I'm mostly disappointed I won't get to see their version of it. I'm not even mentioning the person's name here because I'm not necessarily opposed to contracting them for something else in the future. I just know I was very cordial and respectful.

Anyway, this experience has soured me. I paid for it when I was doing better financially, so the money will come in handy now, but at some point I'd like to have someone else try their hand at it, and I'd appreciate some recommendations.

Thanks guys!
Shiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 10:12 PM   #2
freeform
The Spirit

I'll offer up Allen Goldman as a suggestion. Here is WOW he did for me in less than a month.
freeform is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 10:36 PM   #3
Scion009
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

I second Allan Goldman. Quick turnaround and great work. Here's my latest from him.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GoldmanValkyrieLadyLs.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	786.5 KB
ID:	91928  
Scion009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 01:34 PM   #4
greenjeans1978
The Herculoids

Can't go wrong with Cal Slayton.

greenjeans1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 12:45 AM   #5
Shiz
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

Thanks guys.
Shiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 03:17 AM   #6
Pyrotwilight
U talkin' to me?

Allan's work looks pretty sweet. I might have to jump to get a piece from him soon.
Pyrotwilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 12:56 PM   #7
Landroid
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Cal is wonderful.
Landroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 10:03 AM   #9
Roygbiv666
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

brosfraim.com are good, too:

http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryp...?piece=1186507
http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryp...?piece=1103221
http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryp...?piece=1080643
Roygbiv666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 12:07 PM   #10
DamonO
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

I've been commissioning art since the 1990s. Possibly the most professional, reliable and affordable artist I've dealt with is Val Semeiks. A veteran artist with a very solid publishing history, he can be reached through his website valsemeiks.com
DamonO is offline   Reply With Quote