Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Premium Collectible Studio

Old 03-07-2024, 07:46 PM   #11
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Jetfire, depending on design. Don't absolutely love KBros approach yet. We'll see...
ZenLogikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 08:27 PM   #12
Aussiebot
The Spirit

Tough choice but I vote Jetfire.
Aussiebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 08:53 PM   #13
off
The X-Men

Skyfire.
off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 10:00 PM   #14
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

from general TF thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiebot View Post
Oh yeah, Jetfire was so cool. I saw one once at a cousin's house. He didn't let me play with it, only look at it.
Speaking of Jetfire/Skyfire, have you seen Takara's MP-57? It looks really cool as well but these days I don't collect transforming toys, only statues & action figures. Here's hoping PCS do one. Maybe I'll join their Facebook group and pester them about it.
I don't collect toys any more, but I actually...don't like that one.

Jetfire's had several different, albeit similar looks, but I'm not too fond of that one.

The original toy is awesome (it's what made most people love Jetfire), but of course it's really Macross. Jetfire will never look exactly like that again, and besides, one could just buy a Macross statue if they want that look.

The cartoon altered him to Skyfire, but I immediately disliked that design, at least in part because it wasn't the toy. There are other factors I'll elaborate on below.

Over the years, many toys and comics tried various designs.

A.

B.

C.

but this toy introduced a design that I think is a good basis for the best possible Jetfire:

D.

and IDW based their design on it for a time (with better ear antennae placement), and I love it:

Key points that define Jetfire for me, which that IDW design does best:

-Gotta have the two red pilons on his back. 'Skyfire' fails in this regard.
-Gotta have red armor (removable, magnetic) at least on forearms (and possibly calves (another 'Skyfire' failure))
-Gotta have single eye visor and twin antennae on each ear (you guessed it - another 'Skyfire' error)
-I like the squared cockpit of the IDW design, but wouldn't be opposed to the rounded nosecone
-A. has the Autobot insignia on the glass. That's stupid.
-I like the wing position on D., and the fact that it also incorporates the 'horizontal stabilizers' below the wings as well. It's a more unique wing configuration. A lot of other bots feature the wing design from A., B., and C.
-just prefer the general proportions of D. He's beefier, and looks more imposing, especially compared to the original Jetfire and Skyfire designs.

Sorry for geek-splaining - many may know these designs already. But I'm curious about a consensus regarding preferred design. Would love to hear others' opinions.
Old 03-07-2024, 10:05 PM   #15
craigcliff1
Zot

LOVE Veritech, Battleoid, Sky/Jet
is that PG, SS.
Transformers The Basics did a video on Sky/Jet
craigcliff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 10:06 PM   #16
SDguy

Ha! I was JUST about to ask for this.... Yeah, I hate that second design.. he looks like a flying ambulance.
SDguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 10:33 PM   #17
craigcliff1
Zot

Think was Bandia, that had Robotech License and Thus didn't let Hasbro use Veritech, Battleoid
They had to rework him
But Bandai wasn't happy
Sky/Jet was kicked off the shows
craigcliff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 12:08 AM   #18
KELPIE
New Republic

Out of those two, Shockwave - Easily.

But hey, at least Skyfire/Jetfire is a character we haven't had yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenLogikos View Post

Key points that define Jetfire for me, which that IDW design does best:

-Gotta have the two red pilons on his back. 'Skyfire' fails in this regard.
-Gotta have red armor (removable, magnetic) at least on forearms (and possibly calves (another 'Skyfire' failure))
-Gotta have single eye visor and twin antennae on each ear (you guessed it - another 'Skyfire' error)
-I like the squared cockpit of the IDW design, but wouldn't be opposed to the rounded nosecone
-A. has the Autobot insignia on the glass. That's stupid.
-I like the wing position on D., and the fact that it also incorporates the 'horizontal stabilizers' below the wings as well. It's a more unique wing configuration. A lot of other bots feature the wing design from A., B., and C.
-just prefer the general proportions of D. He's beefier, and looks more imposing, especially compared to the original Jetfire and Skyfire designs.

Sorry for geek-splaining - many may know these designs already. But I'm curious about a consensus regarding preferred design. Would love to hear others' opinions.
They should just get Don in to design the statue for them and the KBros to sculpt it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigcliff1 View Post
Think was Bandia, that had Robotech License and Thus didn't let Hasbro use Veritech, Battleoid
They had to rework him
But Bandai wasn't happy
Sky/Jet was kicked off the shows
Close, but not quite. Bandai let Hasbro use them in the US because Bandai had no presence there. Takara weren't allowed to sell the figures in Japan.

When it came to the cartoon and it showing in Japan, that's where Bandai took the same objection. Jetfire went into a last minute update to Skyfire and characters like the Deluxe Insecticons and Roadblock/Whirl got dropped.
KELPIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 10:23 PM   #19
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDguy View Post
Ha! I was JUST about to ask for this.... Yeah, I hate that second design.. he looks like a flying ambulance.
Which one are you referring to? A couple of them look like that! lol

And I only picked most of the 'ok' ones. There are many more designs that plain suck.
Old 03-08-2024, 10:25 PM   #20
SDguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenLogikos View Post
Which one are you referring to? A couple of them look like that! lol I only only picked most of the 'ok' ones. There are many more designs that plain suck.
Really, it's the only other one (beyond the og macross one) I am familiar with....

SDguy is offline   Reply With Quote