Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 12-03-2015, 10:59 PM   #11
Wah
Shadowhawk

I've never had to wait on a commission for as long as of some ya'll have. The longest I've ever waited was max 4-6 months. I've never experienced 1 plus years before and can't even fathom how rageful I would be if I was placed in that situation. Luckily most of the artist I've commissioned so far, don't require full payment up front. I think that is the key. Anyone who requires that and is doing a home commission , has no incentive to rush to finish your piece.
Wah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 02:43 AM   #12
morgs
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Thanks for all your suggestions guys, I really do appreciate it
Pretty much the situation in short form is:

I commissioned this person 2 1/2 years ago, paid upfront, the piece was finished in two weeks and I have had every excuse under the sun why it hasn't been shipped.
I do know for fact that this artists partner has had a lot of health issues but its still no excuse for stringing me along.
Just before Christmas last year I got an upgrade too full colour from the original inked piece but...............
Im still waiting
morgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 08:39 AM   #13
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgs View Post
Thanks for all your suggestions guys, I really do appreciate it
Pretty much the situation in short form is:

I commissioned this person 2 1/2 years ago, paid upfront, the piece was finished in two weeks and I have had every excuse under the sun why it hasn't been shipped.
I do know for fact that this artists partner has had a lot of health issues but its still no excuse for stringing me along.
Just before Christmas last year I got an upgrade too full colour from the original inked piece but...............
Im still waiting

Solutions:

1) He could call FedEx or UPS and arrange for a pick-up

2) The health issue didn't seem to get in the way of spending your money. This lousy excuse is used so often by artists, sometimes to justify not sending a commission for over a year, you'd think they were allergic to air.

Morgs, at this point, either name the artist or move on as there's not much else we can do or say. You're asking us to support you, which we all are, gladly. However, you can also return the gesture and courtesy by informing the fanbase which artist should be approached with caution. Some people here may actually be in the beginning stages of setting up a commission with that artist. They now have a chance to avoid a huge heartbreak.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 08:47 AM   #14
Mfinn123
Hydra

Ari may be afraid of retaliation but I'm not so here goes:

Ethan Van Sciver - terrible experience - late, late, late
Craig Hamilton - terrible experience -- horrid

These were two of my least enjoyed experiences.
Mfinn123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 09:04 AM   #15
aric
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfinn123 View Post
Ari may be afraid of retaliation but I'm not so here goes:

Ethan Van Sciver - terrible experience - late, late, late
Craig Hamilton - terrible experience -- horrid

These were two of my least enjoyed experiences.
I'm not afraid of retaliation at all. I said that collectors I have spoken to are often afraid of artistic retaliation, and that fear is real. You're positioned differently from the average fan. if someone rips you off, you can take legal action without incurring legal expense. Most people are screwed.
aric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 09:21 AM   #16
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

I remember when I was living in Ohio about 17 years ago before commissions were so big and common. An artist was at my comic book shop and I paid him to do a Hulk piece. It was forever and he still hadn't sent me anything and was avoiding e-mails and phone calls (that's all you had back then). I found his mom's contact information and called her and then very shortly after that, I received the commission. It was crappy and I was not happy with it but at least I got it.
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 10:50 AM   #17
pavehawk78
Hellfire Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefixit2 View Post
I remember when I was living in Ohio about 17 years ago before commissions were so big and common. An artist was at my comic book shop and I paid him to do a Hulk piece. It was forever and he still hadn't sent me anything and was avoiding e-mails and phone calls (that's all you had back then). I found his mom's contact information and called her and then very shortly after that, I received the commission. It was crappy and I was not happy with it but at least I got it.
I like it....get the moms on their a$$es!!
pavehawk78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 11:47 AM   #18
Lucky Baru
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aric View Post
I'm not afraid of retaliation at all. I said that collectors I have spoken to are often afraid of artistic retaliation, and that fear is real. You're positioned differently from the average fan. if someone rips you off, you can take legal action without incurring legal expense. Most people are screwed.
Go to your local county attorney's office/district attorney office with all the documentation showing what you paid, when it was supposed to be delivered, and all the promises after that. Have them go through it and take out a warrant. You can call it all sorts of different stuff but theft is theft.
Lucky Baru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 11:54 AM   #19
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefixit2 View Post
This is the best solution I have ever heard! LOL! Go find the artist’s mom and threaten to bust them out and see how fast they respond. CLASSIC!

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 11:59 AM   #20
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Baru View Post
Go to your local county attorney's office/district attorney office with all the documentation showing what you paid, when it was supposed to be delivered, and all the promises after that. Have them go through it and take out a warrant. You can call it all sorts of different stuff but theft is theft.
This is another good idea. I would suggest doing the homework on this would work and let the artist know what you are planning to do (with details) if you don’t have a commission in 2 or 3 weeks. Give them the chance to make it right and then follow through and take action. Don’t bluff. If you no longer want the art, skip the notice the artist and move directly to the point.

One thing that is proven: if you find the right trigger, the artist will follow through. Whether it is public humiliation (forum, social media, bleeding cool), legal action (threatened or actual), or even calling their mom (my new favorite), the end result is that you have to do something. Waiting in the dark will do nothing.

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote