Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 03-21-2018, 11:04 AM   #71
qz33
Doctor Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsinwing1989 View Post
We’ll have to agree to disagree on this one, as i still believe the ball to be in SS's court, there’s something to be said for the hypebeast shoe market culture, a much larger hobby by comparison but limited enough relative to its niche, they understand the benefit of leaving money on the table to have customers lined up outside their doors next go round.

I don’t think most people are overspending or looking for a return but rather i think its just smart spending, why buy high when you can wait and buy low, which is only made possible by SS high es and high pricing. SS has people lining up at the aftermarket.

I do agree with you about those who may view theses things as some form of investment, but i think most (including myself) would be lying if we said we didn’t feel some type of way if after purchasing a collectable and seeing it a few months later being sold at a much lower price, hence not atleast being able to sell what you paid for it. Not commodities but its the principle of the matter.
Trust me, EVERYONE is overspending.

The possibility of recouping money spent is the lube that makes all this even considerable.
It's quick drying though...
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 11:37 AM   #72
SONICobra
Batman

hell of an analogy lol
SONICobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 11:46 AM   #73
Dam_Beaver
Frackin!

I dont have a big problem with POing and waiting for a piece, I really want. I‘d even say, I like it. Nowadays, people/I am used to getting everything immediately almost in the moment I want it and having nothing to do for it than simply clicking a button. I like that I can be enjoying the state of anticipation for a piece such a long time. Of course, it can also be too long if it is a waiting time of 2 years or more. But generally I like it.
Dam_Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 12:34 PM   #74
wizardjones
Statue Forum MacDaddy

I almost fell into the trap of buying characters because I thought they looked cool and seemed like a piece that would sell for higher value in the future if I chose to sell it. But then I decided to just buy entirely what I love and not worry so much about the after market value due to how fickle this hobby is.

The voice of all of these collectors groups echos over to Ebay and I can tell what statues are not going to do well just because a huge thread about the Jawline not being accurate to the prototype.
wizardjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 02:35 PM   #75
COI

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsinwing1989 View Post
there’s something to be said for the hypebeast shoe market culture, a much larger hobby by comparison but limited enough relative to its niche, they understand the benefit of leaving money on the table to have customers lined up outside their doors next go round.
You're definitely not wrong. But it's hard to walk away from that dough when you know it's right there for the taking.
COI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 03:37 PM   #76
French Cancan
Deadman

Let us imagine this scenario:
1. SSC proudly announce the next release of the red lightening guy.
2. Enjoyment, happiness. But CA ( Collectors Anonymous) is inflexible. NO preorders.
3. SSC proudly announce the arrival of the Flash in their warehouses.
4. Of course, CA says NO. We’ll wait big discounts and free shipping.
Could a company, even big, deal with that?
Can we sell out the talent of the sculptors and painters?
French Cancan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 11:48 PM   #77
67L88Stingray
Doc Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by French Cancan View Post
2. Enjoyment, happiness. But CA ( Collectors Anonymous) is inflexible. NO preorders.
That makes no sense.
67L88Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 01:15 AM   #78
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by French Cancan View Post
I like how you blame the customer... The reason some people don't pre-order is that SS does not have a solid history of providing what they show as prototypes. Sometimes they do sometimes they don't, plus prices have pretty much doubled in a 3-4 year period and edition sizes are pretty huge so there's no urgency to pre-order anymore.

Besides we only make up 3% of their customer base, so other 97% of their customers must be buying everything up right?
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 07:05 AM   #79
French Cancan
Deadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
I like how you blame the customer... The reason some people don't pre-order is that SS does not have a solid history of providing what they show as prototypes. Sometimes they do sometimes they don't, plus prices have pretty much doubled in a 3-4 year period and edition sizes are pretty huge so there's no urgency to pre-order anymore.

Besides we only make up 3% of their customer base, so other 97% of their customers must be buying everything up right?
I blame nobody. Or maybe now my english, because apparently, the words " to IMAGINE a scenario" were not clear enough.
Here, I read "no more preorders", there, "no more purchase unless discounts", so I IMAGINE a scenario where all collectors decide to do that. And that’s all. Just an " extreme " scenario, just a thinking without prejudices.
Why the hell did I want to be so serious.
French Cancan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 07:52 AM   #80
Guilty
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz33 View Post
This whole discussion just shows why I haven't and don't plan to PO anything any longer.
(Other than ECC which charges nothing upfront and does not do deposits.)

Why make payments? If you can't allocate your own money yourself how bad do you really want something?
Why pay in full 1-2 years early? Why assume the risks of the company, product, or changing your own mind just to maybe save $100-$200?

The old adage that decisions are only required when there isn't a clear advantage applies. If you have to decide then there is no clear advantage and why bother to PreOrder?

It's a huge part of this collectibles bubble to begin with.
I would be a fool not to order the pieces I've been interested in.
Guilty is offline   Reply With Quote