Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > XM Studios

Old 08-01-2020, 11:17 AM   #141
Mister H
Green Goblin

IMO it would be nice if they painted the base as if it’s part wood and part stone.
Mister H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 12:35 AM   #142
PeachFuzz
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Don't like all the frills that XM adds to every costume. What's all that crap on his hammer? Ya can't just keep the costume as it was?
PeachFuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 04:07 AM   #143
GrumpyBear
Scarlet Witch

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachFuzz View Post
Don't like all the frills that XM adds to every costume. What's all that crap on his hammer? Ya can't just keep the costume as it was?
XM added nothing on the sculpt. Thor is sculpted by LBS and i love everything.
GrumpyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 10:21 AM   #144
RisingPhoenix
Frackin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish3183 View Post
He looks huge. That base is amazing. I wonder when he will be up for PO.
Let's just say that you won't have to wait much longer!! Get those fingers ready to hit that PO button soon!!! Hope you like what we bring

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambasah View Post
why did they have to make such a huge base for this? I wish they sliced it in half.
This comment has come up a few times, so wanted to make this clear for everyone. The base is big yes, but there is a reason for its exact size. Most people only view this from a font on view and don't look at where the cape flows too. The base is actually in circumference to match the widest point which is that cape. Otherwise you run the risk of a collector hitting that cape moving it around, not thinking about it if the base was smaller. Did not want to risk that on anyone.

Secondly, once you see it up close you will understand. Shrinking the size of this base would be a tragedy imo. The wow factor when you see this in person really reduces when you shrink the size of it. It is honestly perfect at the size it is.

So for both practicality/protection and also presence, the base is just how it should be. These are the things that need to be taken into account when helping design these pieces, so just wanted to let you guys in on the thought process behind it. Cheers.
RisingPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 10:38 AM   #145
Mister H
Green Goblin

No explanation needed for me.
All about dat base.
Mister H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 02:11 PM   #146
Featherfootdave
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Thanks Rising Phoenix - appreciate the information and heads-up on this - really been excited to get this one.

I love the epic design on this, the base provides so much background and history, can't say that I've seen anything even close to this before.

And so nice to get information from an authoritative source - very nice touch - wish other makers were as forthcoming...
Featherfootdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 02:22 PM   #147
Ish3183
Brotherhood of Evil Mutants

Quote:
Originally Posted by RisingPhoenix View Post
Let's just say that you won't have to wait much longer!! Get those fingers ready to hit that PO button soon!!! Hope you like what we bring
Definitely excited to see the full reveal based on the initial pics I've seen so far. I don't collect 1/3 but I'd make an exception for my favorite character.
Ish3183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 04:22 PM   #148
pdenham
Teen Titans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister H View Post
All about dat base.
Absolutely.

And therein lies my reservations about it.

No doubt LBS put a lot of enthusiasm, reverence, and attention to detail in the design and sculpt of it.
In that respect it looks magnificent.

But for me it also detracts from the figure.
Everytime I start to look at Thor, my attention is pulled away by the brighter, higher key value and details of the base.

I appreciate the thoughtfulness behind making it wide enough to indicate clearance for the cape, but I'm one of those (few) that would have preferred something more minimalistic -like simple wood and stone abstractions- more similar to the gist of Cap's base
The art deco eagle head and stylings look fantastic- but they don't pull my focus away from the figure at all.
Part of that is the dark, muted values, and the other is very simple lines and shapes.
For my sensibilities, that's was an ideal direction to go.

Thor is the polar opposite.

CA exceeded my expectations so I have no doubt Thor is going to blow everyone away too. I would have to dig deep into my savings at a very dicey time.
But I might.
LBS made a believer out of me with Cap. I'm sure this Thor will be one for the ages as well.

Another looming issue with this- because of the cape and base, the shipping box(es?) should be a good bit larger than CA- which surprised me being as relatively compact as it was for a 1/3 figure with so many swichouts.
pdenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 04:25 PM   #149
Iko Iko
The InJustice League

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdenham View Post
Absolutely.

And therein lies my reservations about it.

No doubt LBS put a lot of enthusiasm, reverence, and attention to detail in the design and sculpt of it.
In that respect it looks magnificent.

But for me it also detracts from the figure.
Everytime I start to look at Thor, my attention is pulled away by the brighter, higher key value and details of the base.

I appreciate the thoughtfulness behind making it wide enough to indicate clearance for the cape, but I'm one of those (few) that would have preferred something more minimalistic -like simple wood and stone abstractions- more similar to the gist of Cap's base
The art deco eagle head and stylings look fantastic- but they don't pull my focus away from the figure at all.
Part of that is the dark, muted values, and the other is very simple lines and shapes.
For my sensibilities, that's was an ideal direction to go.

Thor is the polar opposite.

CA exceeded my expectations so I have no doubt Thor is going to blow everyone away too. I would have to dig deep into my savings at a very dicey time.
But I might.
LBS made a believer out of me with Cap. I'm sure this Thor will be one for the ages as well.

Another looming issue with this- because of the cape and base, the shipping box(es?) should be a good bit larger than CA- which surprised me being as relatively compact as it was for a 1/3 figure with so many swichouts.
Yes, this feels like either 3 boxes or two really large boxes for sure.
Iko Iko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 04:54 PM   #150
pdenham
Teen Titans

And that means this one is likely to come in at a price a good deal higher than CA had.

Storage space would be a big issue for me- but I don't think I'll be able to afford this one in any case.

My congrats to the people who can.
pdenham is offline   Reply With Quote