Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Prime 1 Studio

Old 07-10-2023, 03:52 PM   #6031
Collectorcol
100,000 sperm and you were the fastest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle Demon View Post
One more thing: Show me any modern movie monster that is as good looking as 1987 Predator.
Won't happen, CGI got nothing on the talent and creativity of Stan.
Collectorcol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 03:56 PM   #6032
Forps is back
Mephisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenLogikos View Post

You are my guy, ZenLogikos.
Forps is back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 04:00 PM   #6033
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forps is back View Post

You are my guy, ZenLogikos.
Uh-oh...

ZenLogikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 04:09 PM   #6034
Forps is back
Mephisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenLogikos View Post
Uh-oh...

Well, he is still more scary than Predator in the eyes of a modern teenager. A psychopath would create horror (relating with a possibility in real life) vs a reptilian, chubby, awkwardly moving guy in a costume (this phrase was repeated to me by at LEAST 6 newer folks when they saw Predator for the 1st time and laughed their ... calling it crap and a "boomers"-movie. Although technically its not a "boomers" movie, hahaha).

Its like us watching Universal Monsters movies. Does anyone get scared? They are too goofy looking, amateurish for today's standards. Good for the history of cinema, but not something that scares us.

The same happens with Predator for today's new generation.

Whereas Bale will still scare them in this movie. His eyes, the madness in his face, his coldness, his apathy are a LOT SCARIER than a guy wearing a reptilian costume being chubby and walking like an old-man.

Make this experiment guys and come back. The results are going to astonish you and you will understand how obsessed we are with OUR PAST, OUR NOSTALGIA.

Give me a Bale in this movie, ZenLogikos.

Any day!
Old 07-10-2023, 04:24 PM   #6035
The SHOGUN
Hellfire Club

Quote:
Thanks IcedDog. Nice to meet you!

Jungle Demon.

For a start, Predator is not the most cool looking monster even for its time.

Its Alien by farrrrrrrr.

Alien is the SURVIVAL instinct at its best. Its life finding a way at its best.

Xenomorphs are RELENTLESS, they wont stop, they will procreate, they are the ultimate parasite, not stopping till they get what they want. Survival, reproduction, total domination.

Alien has always been the QUINTESSENTIAL MONSTER, the survival instinct in a life form.

As for modern monsters and horror, you look the WRONG WAY.

Videogames is where you should look. Noone produces or even cares too much about horror movies nowadays.

Check Lady Maria from Bloodborne (Prime1). It has mystery, it has enigma, it has a horror element.

Or the Doll by Bloodborne. Mystery. The unkwown.

There are tons of videogames characters creating this mystery, this feeling the OLD movies of our past ("old-heads") created.

Predator seeing it today with the eyes of a modern teenager is goofy looking. Like a reptilian or a guy wearing a costume moving awkward.

Its like seeing Universal Monsters movies of the past for us. Are you scared or amused by the "amateurish" style of the creatures etc for today's standards?

Jungle Demon, you see the world via the lenses of OUR PAST, OUR NOSTALGIA.

Sit with a teenager and he would laugh with Predator's costume, chubbiness, awkward way of moving and general "boomer"-style movie.

Like you are amused seeing Creature of the Black Lagoon today. Are you scared watching a classic movie with Creature of the Black Lagoon? Or do you see it and inside laugh a bit by how amateurish movies looked back then?

Exactly the same feels a teenager today with a Predator.

Alien is different story. Alien is BY NATURE a sight to be behold. It is SURVIVAL INSTINCT at its best. But again, they are also a bit outdated for today's standards.

Check videogames and you will get what i am saying.
you seem awfully concerned with what the kids think.

You sound like a kid yourself to be honest. The kind that take the TIDEPOD challenge they saw on TikTok...but that's what was "IN" right. That's what all the kids think is cool, give me a break.

The Universal Monster films are fantastic cinematic works. You obviously are trolling or you are completely clueless on the topic of discussion that you started.

Aliens are cool creatures but i put them in the same category with the Starship Troopers Arachnids...they are BUGS. Nothing too excited about BUGS unless you are a kid that likes to have a bug box.
The SHOGUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 04:25 PM   #6036
Mr. Shoosh
Sinister Six

“Noone produces or even cares too much about horror movies nowadays.”

Lost me at this one. Horror movies have never been more popular than now. Directors that started in the horror genre are now filming blockbusters and are given the keys to our beloved franchises ( Fede ?lvarez for Alien, for the sake of staying on subject). Reboots, prequels, and sequels galore. I’m not sure where your statement came from or where the point was going, but I felt that horror had to be defended.
Mr. Shoosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 04:28 PM   #6037
IcedDog
Frozen Pooch

Quote:
For a start, Predator is not the most cool looking monster even for its time.

Its Alien by farrrrrrrr.
I do agree that the xenomorph is definitely a scarier design...Giger was brilliant with that type of super creepy and dark aesthetic, and I think it holds up great today, but I'm a Gen Xer so I'm a little biased. The predator is a cool design as well, but I don't get the same sense of primal fear and dread from it.

Just curious, do you think the effects from Carpenter's The Thing would hold up for kids today...that dog assimilation conglomerate is still pretty gruesome and insane, and that was 1982.
IcedDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 04:50 PM   #6038
Forps is back
Mephisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Shoosh View Post
?Noone produces or even cares too much about horror movies nowadays.?

Lost me at this one. Horror movies have never been more popular than now. Directors that started in the horror genre are now filming blockbusters and are given the keys to our beloved franchises ( Fede ?lvarez for Alien, for the sake of staying on subject). Reboots, prequels, and sequels galore. I?m not sure where your statement came from or where the point was going, but I felt that horror had to be defended.
You clearly do not want to see the truth.

Well, type HIGHEST grossing horror films of all time. With the exception of It (part 1 and 2) they cant gross anything special. They are refined to a special audience (also due to their rating, not for kids). They are not multi-billion movies.

Their only good "aspect"? Many directors got recognized through horror flicks and then landed larger projects.

PERIOD. Nothing more to discuss here.

Now to SHOGUN.

You cant seem to get the "essence" of an Alien. Alien can exist as a xenomorph but also as a liquid drop. Alien = survival instinct.

I would be scared if Aliens were after humanity or other species or planet. They would not stop, they constantly procreate, they are relentless, they are ruthless.

Giger was a GENIUS. He expressed a deep existential risk to not be able to escape a RELENTLESS SURVIVAL MACHINE at its basic form being alone in space.

Giger was a GENIUS. Please there is no comparison between Aliens and Predator, its like comparing Star Wars with Star Trek (new beef incoming, haha).

Let is rest, guys. You are clearly obsessed with Predator. The statue is a masterpiece but the fact that it is already getting discounted in the aftermarket with a lot of his ES not yet having arrived in collectors' hands, is telling you what you should know.

Prime1 MILKED it, price-wise and ES-wise. Enjoy it being the best Predator on the market (along with Wolf by Sideshow, for the time being) but be ready to part away from it if you need funds before the market gets flooded with Predators for sale.

See you!
Old 07-10-2023, 04:54 PM   #6039
Blade3327
Nightwing

Quote:
You clearly do not want to see the truth.

Well, type HIGHEST grossing horror films of all time. With the exception of It (part 1 and 2) they cant gross anything special. They are refined to a special audience (also due to their rating, not for kids). They are not multi-billion movies.

PERIOD. Nothing more to discuss here.
It's not about making the most money. It's about making a good profit against a small budget, which most horror movies have. That's why they keep getting made. A perfect intersection of popularity with cheapness. As a millennial in their late 20s, I can't tell you how many youngsters are obsessed with horror. It's their favorite genre, it's the first genre they ask about when they go on dates, it's the cinematic icebreaker. Cheap thrills are catnip for any generation, but especially mine. I don't think zoomers are much different.

But sure, shut down the conversation and call it a win in your book. We all have to cope somehow.

Quote:
You are clearly obsessed with Predator.
I'm not sure what you were expecting from this thread.

I love Aliens as well. For me, there are no better creatures than these. I agree that Aliens are scarier conceptually, but I think Predators are more interesting as characters. The honor code, the implied lore from the trinkets they've collected over the decades, the fact that they're intelligent beings and we've only seen glimpses of their world. There's something about them that captures the imagination, makes one wonder. Both monsters have different appeals, I don't see why one particular criteria is more valid than the other.

I also agree that this stuff isn't nearly as popular with my generation and the one after. Then again, most folks in the younger generations aren't buying toys and statues to begin with. Action figures haven't been big among the kiddos since the early 2000s. I don't think the hobby in general will be as popular 20 or 30 years from now.
Blade3327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 04:58 PM   #6040
VILE GUILE
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Nobody in their 30s-40s really cares what Generation Z thinks is cool. Have you ever listened to their music? I bet this guy doesn't even have any statue's. He's just here to be an instigator & jealous he can't afford even a Gentle Giant mini bust. Lol...
VILE GUILE is offline   Reply With Quote