Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 04-01-2016, 01:03 PM   #21021
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice - 9/10

Yeah, that's right, I loved this film. I've read a ton of opinions, here and elsewhere, slamming it and I've tried to look at them objectively but the problems most had just don't resonate with me.

Acting was strong across the board. Affleck is hands down my favorite Bruce Wayne/Batman to date. Total high point of the film for me and I couldn't get enough of him. Gadot killed it as Wonder Woman and seeing the character on the big screen for the first time not only gave me chills but brought a tear to my eye I was so overjoyed. Cavill is just as strong as he was in MoS but he doesn't have as much screen time and we've seen his Superman before so unfortunately he's a bit overshadowed through no fault of his or his role in the narrative. Eisenberg is interesting as Luthor but maybe just a bit too maniacal and not enough of the calculating/shrewd puppet master I enjoy so much.

Like any comic book to big screen translation there are liberties taken with the source material. I'm not one of those fans that needs everything adapted straight from the page. It doesn't bother me with all the Marvel films and it doesn't bother me here. In fact I'd argue this film felt more like watching a comic book play out on screen than most superhero movies. The gritty realism isn't a negative for me either as it seems to be for so many others. I don't need lighthearted or unnecessary comedic moments to make a comic book film a fun viewing experience.

Lots of complaints about the pacing and/or editing of the film, especially in the first act. Again I had no issue with it. To me it felt like solid character development. By the time the action picks up I was invested in the characters and the environment thats been created. I've read a ton of comments saying there was no story, or that they crammed too much into the film. This makes no sense to me. I felt the core narrative was interesting and did a great job bringing these characters together in a believable scenario. The film is filled with a ton of small references that comic book fans may pick up and casual fans may miss... a lot of it is brilliant foreshadowing. Things that have you scratching your heads now are being setup to ultimately play out down the road and I love that.

This is one the most divisive films in recent memory. I firmly believe that time will be kind to BvS and a lot of the people who simply liked it will eventually come around to appreciating it more either with future viewings or once the the DCEU plays out further. A solid foundation has been laid and I think the future is bright for this universe.

While i did not rate it as highly as you I do agree with the sentiment of your review and especially your last point. I think its one of those movies that if you like it you may even come to love it over time. If you hate it well then nothing will change.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 01:07 PM   #21022
SONICobra
Batman

OH THANK GOD, now im excited again
SONICobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 01:28 PM   #21023
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
While i did not rate it as highly as you I do agree with the sentiment of your review and especially your last point. I think its one of those movies that if you like it you may even come to love it over time. If you hate it well then nothing will change.
IIRC you gave it a 7/10 on your first viewing? Do you think you'd rate it higher now after seeing it for a second time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONICobra View Post
OH THANK GOD, now im excited again
I'm pretty confident you're going to love it.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 01:52 PM   #21024
Marvelito
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
I firmly believe that time will be kind to BvS and a lot of the people who simply liked it will eventually come around to appreciating it more either with future viewings or once the the DCEU plays out further. A solid foundation has been laid and I think the future is bright for this universe.
I hope you're right, and I'm ok with it if that's not the case. I was one who thought it was "just ok" I don't really lean heavily one way or the other with this film, just below the middle to be honest. I am surprisingly interested in seeing it again theatrically though, but doubt I will. I just want to see if I actually will like it more the second time around. It sort of bothers me that I didn't like it more than I did. I find that to be a strange reaction for me because there have been other superhero films I didn't care much for recently (IM3 & Avenger: AoU) but it didn't bother me that I didn't enjoy them as much. This would lead you to believe that I was overly hyped for it, but I really wasn't, at least until the night before when I re-watched MoS and found that I enjoyed it even more than I had previously which was already quite a bit. To be honest I had not really been following this film at all for some reason, probably because I had been consumed by Star Wars and was just not paying much attention to this one. To the point that it wasn't until February when I really began to realize that not only was this coming out this year but it was just over a month away!

I hope that seeing it again makes a difference or maybe seeing Snyder's DC will make a big difference in my enjoyment of this film, because I really want to be excited for the DCCU. I am looking forward to Suicide Squad though, so all is not lost.
Marvelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 01:58 PM   #21025
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvelito View Post
I hope you're right, and I'm ok with it if that's not the case. I was one who thought it was "just ok" I don't really lean heavily one way or the other with this film, just below the middle to be honest. I am surprisingly interested in seeing it again theatrically though, but doubt I will. I just want to see if I actually will like it more the second time around. It sort of bothers me that I didn't like it more than I did. I find that to be a strange reaction for me because there have been other superhero films I didn't care much for recently (IM3 & Avenger: AoU) but it didn't bother me that I didn't enjoy them as much. This would lead you to believe that I was overly hyped for it, but I really wasn't, at least until the night before when I re-watched MoS and found that I enjoyed it even more than I had previously which was already quite a bit. To be honest I had not really been following this film at all for some reason, probably because I had been consumed by Star Wars and was just not paying much attention to this one. To the point that it wasn't until February when I really began to realize that not only was this coming out this year but it was just over a month away!

I hope that seeing it again makes a difference or maybe seeing Snyder's DC will make a big difference in my enjoyment of this film, because I really want to be excited for the DCCU. I am looking forward to Suicide Squad though, so all is not lost.
I would love to hear if you enjoy it more a second time around. You and I generally see eye to eye on almost everything when it comes movies. Really excited for Suicide Squad myself.
Old 04-01-2016, 02:19 PM   #21026
Marvelito

Quote:
I would love to hear if you enjoy it more a second time around. You and I generally see eye to eye on almost everything when it comes movies. Really excited for Suicide Squad myself.
We generally do agree on films so I was very curious to hear your thoughts on this one. I'll let you know what I think when I get around to seeing it again. I definitely will at some point, just not sure if it will be in the theater.
Old 04-01-2016, 02:27 PM   #21027
Viper245
Crime Syndicate

Quote:
Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice - 9/10

Yeah, that's right, I loved this film. I've read a ton of opinions, here and elsewhere, slamming it and I've tried to look at them objectively but the problems most had just don't resonate with me.

Acting was strong across the board. Affleck is hands down my favorite Bruce Wayne/Batman to date. Total high point of the film for me and I couldn't get enough of him. Gadot killed it as Wonder Woman and seeing the character on the big screen for the first time not only gave me chills but brought a tear to my eye I was so overjoyed. Cavill is just as strong as he was in MoS but he doesn't have as much screen time and we've seen his Superman before so unfortunately he's a bit overshadowed through no fault of his or his role in the narrative. Eisenberg is interesting as Luthor but maybe just a bit too maniacal and not enough of the calculating/shrewd puppet master I enjoy so much.

Like any comic book to big screen translation there are liberties taken with the source material. I'm not one of those fans that needs everything adapted straight from the page. It doesn't bother me with all the Marvel films and it doesn't bother me here. In fact I'd argue this film felt more like watching a comic book play out on screen than most superhero movies. The gritty realism isn't a negative for me either as it seems to be for so many others. I don't need lighthearted or unnecessary comedic moments to make a comic book film a fun viewing experience.

Lots of complaints about the pacing and/or editing of the film, especially in the first act. Again I had no issue with it. To me it felt like solid character development. By the time the action picks up I was invested in the characters and the environment thats been created. I've read a ton of comments saying there was no story, or that they crammed too much into the film. This makes no sense to me. I felt the core narrative was interesting and did a great job bringing these characters together in a believable scenario. The film is filled with a ton of small references that comic book fans may pick up and casual fans may miss... a lot of it is brilliant foreshadowing. Things that have you scratching your heads now are being setup to ultimately play out down the road and I love that.

This is one the most divisive films in recent memory. I firmly believe that time will be kind to BvS and a lot of the people who simply liked it will eventually come around to appreciating it more either with future viewings or once the the DCEU plays out further. A solid foundation has been laid and I think the future is bright for this universe.

This review gives me a lot of hope that I will thoroughly enjoy BvS. Thanks for not putting any spoilers in your review Hellboy. I have stayed out of the spoiler thread until after I see the film but really wanted to read your take on it as it seems we have similar interests in films so I took a chance and read it hoping their wouldn't be any spoilers.
Viper245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 02:40 PM   #21028
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper245 View Post
This review gives me a lot of hope that I will thoroughly enjoy BvS. Thanks for not putting any spoilers in your review Hellboy. I have stayed out of the spoiler thread until after I see the film but really wanted to read your take on it as it seems we have similar interests in films so I took a chance and read it hoping their wouldn't be any spoilers.
Cool man! Really hope you enjoy it. Definitely interested to hear what you think.

As far as spoilers go, this thread is a safe zone as far as I'm concerned. Most of the mods are in here regularly so if any spoilers do get posted they'll be deleted and those posting them will be dealt with. Thankfully everyone seems to be quite respectful of the rules. I can't think of anything I've had ruined for me here over the years.
Old 04-01-2016, 02:41 PM   #21029
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvelito View Post
I'm in the just okay group also (although it seems that if you didn't love it, you get lumped with the haters). For me, I think I left disappointed that there was so much potential, especially setting up the DC world, and I felt (this is my opinion) the story was severely lacking and just bad at some points. It didn't leave me wanting to see anything else in this world except a standalone Batman movie.
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 03:53 PM   #21030
Marvelito

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefixit2 View Post
I'm in the just okay group also (although it seems that if you didn't love it, you get lumped with the haters). For me, I think I left disappointed that there was so much potential, especially setting up the DC world, and I felt (this is my opinion) the story was severely lacking and just bad at some points. It didn't leave me wanting to see anything else in this world except a standalone Batman movie.
The film has good bones, but they tried to do waaay too much in this one film. Choosing this particular story as a jumping off point for the series always felt like a wrong choice to me, and shoe-horning in the other classic story for the ending just felt like a waste of that story's dramatic potential had it been saved for further down the road.

Anyway, this is not the place to get into all of that.