Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 06-30-2020, 03:53 PM   #21
jeremydmc
S.H.I.E.L.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
Just finished this season and it blows season 1 away, IMHO. The political undercurrents to the final episode may take some out of it but, to me, they were so hard hitting and consistent with the themes of this season it just left me saying, “Wow!” I hope there’s a third season.
There are two seasons of City of Angels already? I thought season 1 just wrapped up. Did they dump all of season 2 all at once and I missed it?
jeremydmc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 04:26 PM   #22
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremydmc View Post
There are two seasons of City of Angels already? I thought season 1 just wrapped up. Did they dump all of season 2 all at once and I missed it?
No, two seasons of Penny Dreadful. I think of City of Angels as the second season of Penny Dreadful.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 04:29 PM   #23
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
No, two seasons of Penny Dreadful. I think of City of Angels as the second season of Penny Dreadful.
The original series actually ran for 3 seasons. Did you watch all 3 and are saying S1 of City of Angles is better?
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 05:00 PM   #24
French Cancan
Deadman

Quote:
Just finished this season and it blows season 1 away, IMHO. The political undercurrents to the final episode may take some out of it but, to me, they were so hard hitting and consistent with the themes of this season it just left me saying, “Wow!” I hope there’s a third season.
The first season was essentially character-driven and only concerned about the links and interactions between all its characters, with a good layer of introspection.
In the second, the historical and political context acts as a lead character who determines the fate of each character. Even the schemes of the Death seem to be taking a back seat.
The first season was black, rainy, filthy, tacky, desperate, bloody, death appeared as a relief.
The second one is clean under the sun of L.A. The dead seem unfair.
I do like the second season, but I loved the first one.
It's hard to compare them anyway. You can choose your best villains though: Werewolves or Nazis.

Edit: yes, like Hellboy said, the " first" season was three seasons...
French Cancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 10:04 AM   #25
KaraFan
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

The first series is way better but I'll finish this one eventually.
KaraFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 10:38 AM   #26
ParisDean
Captain Marvel

Quote:
Originally Posted by French Cancan View Post
Edit: yes, like Hellboy said, the " first" season was three seasons...
That's confusing. Just call it the first series.
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 12:21 PM   #27
French Cancan
Deadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisDean View Post
That's confusing. Just call it the first series.
What is confusing is that the generic name Penny Dreadful was kept for this new series.
Plus, talking about first series does not tell about the number of seasons, which can also be confusing... Add that I like to be confusing sometimes and it's a lot of confusion everywhere.

oh shut up Georgina..
French Cancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 02:20 PM   #28
ParisDean
Captain Marvel

I can see Penny Dreadful becoming like Star Trek where there will be different multi-season series with different casts all under the same brand.
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 01:39 AM   #29
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisDean View Post
I can see Penny Dreadful becoming like Star Trek where there will be different multi-season series with different casts all under the same brand.
I could see that working. I just wish they would’ve stuck with the classic monster/folklore themes set against the Victorian England backdrop.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 03:35 AM   #30
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Okay so I finished this today.

I'm pretty disappointed, and its really my own fault, though I will put some onus on the writer/showrunner.

The first Penny Dreadful wrapped its settings and characters in myth, lore and literature. It had its social commentary weaved into the story, as does this season, but you had the best of both worlds. Social relevance and amazing horror fantasy dripping in every episode.

This Series, City of Angels, has its social commentary but lacks the depth of mysticism and horror of the first. Sure, there are elements of it but instead of it flowing throughout the episodes its sprinkled as if they were hoarding it for some pay off that never comes.

While I gave the first 3 seasons of the original series 9s, 9.5 for season 2, Here I can only give a 7 because of what could have been. If Logan had only taken the time to research and weave as much cultural folk lore and myth as he did from the Victorian era into City of Angels this could have been amazing. However, what I'm left with a decent show with social relevance instead of the expertly crafted mixture I was used to.

sigh ...oh well.
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote