Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 03-30-2015, 04:10 PM   #21
kal-el
Statue Forum MacDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomur View Post
I only discovered the travesty of New 52 "Wally West" yesterday. Retooling my childhood Flash as an urban youth from a broken home who gets in trouble with the law? Not only is it an offensive stereotype, but NOTHING like Wally West proper. I mean, when you deviate so much from a character with decades of history, why not - I don't know - make him a brand new bloody character?!?

I don't remember much outrage at this, but I can only imagine it's years removed from the New 52 debut. Maybe most of the Flash fans have moved on and let the DC brand slide? Or maybe the "brilliant" creative decisions have numbed us over time.

Anyway, no sooner had I started to wallow in self-pity, when I found out that MY Wally West was returning next week in the Convergence event. This will be the first comic I buy in years and I hope it does well enough to catch the attention of TPTB.

I love Wally West he was always my Flash as well. Since DC brought back Barry they have relegated Wally to a back-up role and then out of existance. I will be loving this 2 issues but DC has no intention of bringing him back. The fans were pissed but DC didn't care they feel everybody knows the Flash as Barry so Barry it will be, screw Wally. I don't much care for the "NEW" Wally either as this has been poorly executed. I have been buying a Flash comic since before Crisis On Infinite Earths hard to imagine quitting even if I'm not 100% happy with the direction. Looking forward to this though very much.
kal-el is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 12:21 PM   #22
supahman
I don't have a solution but I admire the problem.

waiting for the eventual HC .. wish i was still in a cntry that has comic shops..
supahman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 03:43 PM   #23
malkii
It's not hard to meet expenses, they're everywhere.

Location: Somewhere you have never been, nor do you want to go...
I pick up most of the Convergence books this first week. But the writing just seems really bad. No depth to the story or the characters. Is it just me or did anyone else feel the same that is reading them.
malkii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 03:58 PM   #24
gomur
The Tick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kal-el View Post
I love Wally West he was always my Flash as well. Since DC brought back Barry they have relegated Wally to a back-up role and then out of existance. I will be loving this 2 issues but DC has no intention of bringing him back. The fans were pissed but DC didn't care they feel everybody knows the Flash as Barry so Barry it will be, screw Wally. I don't much care for the "NEW" Wally either as this has been poorly executed. I have been buying a Flash comic since before Crisis On Infinite Earths hard to imagine quitting even if I'm not 100% happy with the direction. Looking forward to this though very much.
Right now I'm hoping that Wally West makes it out of the Convergence event. You know how DC loves to kill off Flashes in big events, and they might want someone special to validate this one.

I'm really enjoying the Flash show. The main character feels a lot like Wally West's personality infused with Barry Allen's backstory. He even dated Linda Park. I guess Wally lives on somehow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkii View Post
I pick up most of the Convergence books this first week. But the writing just seems really bad. No depth to the story or the characters. Is it just me or did anyone else feel the same that is reading them.
I haven't read the main title, but the tie-ins do feel a bit formulaic in plot. Hero X is informed that his world is in competition with others for its right to exist. The bubble over his city goes down, their superpower is restored, and then they must fight. The only thing that appeals to me is the character moments. Wally and his kids. Superman and Lois. Let's see how those 2nd issues shape up.
gomur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 06:35 PM   #25
PureInvasion
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

so gave the main Convergence series a shot (4 issues) and it was a total turd. Dropped it.

A few of the (2 part) tie-in titles have been really fun so far so happy I didn't completely write off the whole 2 month event
PureInvasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 09:14 AM   #26
protector2814
Phoenix

I've kept up w/ the main series. Mainly for the deaths, more out of curiosity, then anything. Still ... I don't know or even recognize half of the characters even are. Completely confusing to me, probably because I haven't really been following the New 52. almost as confused & "meh" with yesterdays' #1 Secret Wars, even though the art was killer in it.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 07:49 PM   #27
comicfan35
Doh!

i picked up the first 4 issues of convergence and stopped reading them. Was let down by the story line so far. Found myself straying away from dc and moving to image and vertigo comics.
comicfan35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 06:16 PM   #28
kal-el
Statue Forum MacDaddy

So I sat down this weekend and read issues # 0-6 and about 10 of the 2 issue mini series so far. I have mixed reviews. The main story is stupid. I feel bad for anybody picking this up who has not read the current Earth 2 storyline, you are lost. It's essentially the Earth 2 JSA and Travis Morgan's Warlord till issue # 6 where we start trying to get somewhere. The whole city vs city a la CONTEST OF CHAMPIONS angle is week. I have enjoyed seeing my favorite versions of DC 's past show up. From my Green Arrow, to Wally West and the real Teen Titans/Titans to Booster Gold, Blue Beetles, Captain Marvel and Superman of course. So it is good to see them again even if the story's are not the best. I will have too see what the next two weeks bring but so far with what I have read I give the event as a whole a 5/10 and that's mainly out of nostalgia.
Old 05-29-2015, 07:28 PM   #29
kal-el
Statue Forum MacDaddy

Well I have completed the series and 23 of the 2 issue mini series. I will change my overall grade for this series as a whole to 6.5/10. The main series did nothing for me it was simply a vehicle to move the future of Earth 2 along. I am intrigued that when the time displaced cities went back to where they came from, The group that went back to Crisis On Infinite Earths to fulfill their destinies Barry Allen/Flash & Supergirl knowing they would die and the took pre-Flashpoint Superman/Lois Lane & son and Hal Jordan/Parallax with them to "change" the outcome. That is a story to see some day.
Anyway it was great to see some old "friends" if you will. The Booster Gold series is essential reading at it ties into Convergence BIG TIME. Other notables Swamp Thing, Shazam!, JSA,Superman & Hawkman were my favorite.Plus it was great to see Wally West again. It could have been better but instead it was just average. Maybe next time DC.
Old 05-29-2015, 08:13 PM   #30
gomur
The Tick

Spot on assessment, Kal-el. Usually with crossover mega-events I get tired of all the spin-off issues that divert attention and momentum from the main story. Convergence was just the opposite. I wasn't invested in the main story at all, but I really enjoyed "seeing some old 'friends'" again. Wally West was the high point, but also the Superman/Lois stuff. Special shout out to Ted Kord Blue Beetle.
gomur is offline   Reply With Quote