Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 04-14-2015, 07:03 AM   #21
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

Personally, I am dissapointed of the outcome. X-Men alongside Fantastic Four are some of my favorite franchises and seeing them in total disarray is disheartening. But I can agree that they have lost their appeal for quite some time so it is no surprise. You don't have to be a wizard to see the writing on the wall.

In my opinion, the stories have been dull for years and the movies haven't help either. I definitely want to see the movie rights reverted back to Marvel soon. Easier said than done. Maybe then, Marvel can concentrate in reshaping the stories in a more profound, richer and meaninful way. After all, that is what they are going after. Tired of all of these short book series that bring nothing to the table. They only add salt to the wound and make a total mess. At this point, I do not know who is banging who.
JP Sarri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 01:10 PM   #22
Madame_Siryn
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

When I started reading comics back in the 90's, I was an X-Men fan first and foremost. I was never an Avengers fan and I'm still not to this day. I watched the X-Men animated series (along with Batman: The Animated Series) religiously. I do remember vividly the X-Men reigned supreme in the 80's and 90's while the Avengers took a backseat. In the 2000's, it was all Avengers (courtesy of Brian Michael Bendis' run) and it was the X-Men that took a backseat with the exception of Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men run.

Reading the article, while interesting, is disheartening. It makes me cherish my X-Men comics even more now than ever before. Its a bit painful to watch Marvel trying to make the X-Men appealing again but in the end, its all gimmicky.
Madame_Siryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 03:37 PM   #23
Vecchio1
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Sarri View Post
Personally, I am dissapointed of the outcome. X-Men alongside Fantastic Four are some of my favorite franchises and seeing them in total disarray is disheartening. But I can agree that they have lost their appeal for quite some time so it is no surprise. You don't have to be a wizard to see the writing on the wall.

In my opinion, the stories have been dull for years and the movies haven't help either. I definitely want to see the movie rights reverted back to Marvel soon. Easier said than done. Maybe then, Marvel can concentrate in reshaping the stories in a more profound, richer and meaninful way. After all, that is what they are going after. Tired of all of these short book series that bring nothing to the table. They only add salt to the wound and make a total mess. At this point, I do not know who is banging who.
The next movie is shaping up nicely. Agreed on the comics tho. Who knows, years from now ppl might get possibly tired of the Avengers. I feel Avengers now is what the X-men was for our generation. Too many X-men loyalists here like myself, we'll never die.
Vecchio1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 03:44 PM   #24
MrYac
Hercules

with so many super powered folks running around the world beloved by it's people do the X-Men really fit anymore as objects of scorn and hatred? why is Cyclops a freak of nature that apparently everybody in the world wants to eradicate yet Reed Richards and Thor are A-ok? that's what has always bugged me about the mutants place within their world
MrYac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 05:00 PM   #25
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrYac View Post
with so many super powered folks running around the world beloved by it's people do the X-Men really fit anymore as objects of scorn and hatred? why is Cyclops a freak of nature that apparently everybody in the world wants to eradicate yet Reed Richards and Thor are A-ok? that's what has always bugged me about the mutants place within their world
The mutant issue has always been a metaphor for prejudice, with many parallels to homosexuality. They are hated for what they are. As the real world has evolved to become more accepting, the mutants feel more out of place in the context of the Marvel universe. Mutates are essentially "accidents" and Thor and others are aliens...so they fall more along the lines of being feared than hated.
ZenLogikos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 05:20 PM   #26
Shoo
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrYac View Post
why is Cyclops a freak of nature that apparently everybody in the world wants to eradicate yet Reed Richards and Thor are A-ok? that's what has always bugged me about the mutants place within their world
They're mutants -a new species that might supersede Homo Sapiens.

Edit: didn't see ZL's post. Actually, most non-mutant superpowered people are more of an accident than them. But yeah, it all boils down to fear.
Shoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 07:18 PM   #27
Kicksplode
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?
Adamantium Member

I think it's important to take reports like this with a grain of salt until Marvel actually announces the future of the franchise post-Secret Wars. All of these stories end up tracing back to the same podcast interview with Claremont and the same dubious rumors from Bleeding Cool.

There's ample evidence now that Marvel is encouraging companies to ignore the X-Men and FF on the merchandising side of things. They clearly don't want to have to share that money with Fox. But as for burying the comics, I'm not convinced.
Kicksplode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 03:59 PM   #28
Y3E
Gen 13

Marvel has to thin out their mutant titles. There's too many and people are not giving a damn about them anymore. I started reading X-men when Byrne first worked on the title and those stories were great. You had topnotch writers and pencilers/inkers working on the books. Now...you get anybody.

Superman got me into comics, Avengers made me read more, and Xmen made me collect them, this was in late 70s. If I started now, I wouldn't be interested.
Y3E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 04:57 AM   #29
rocknroll
Frackin!

mickey mouse is gonna start outing all the x-men as gay. bobby was just the first.
rocknroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 12:12 PM   #30
ParisDean
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknroll View Post
mickey mouse is gonna start outing all the x-men as gay. bobby was just the first.
Donald Duck got a shout-out in the new first issue of Howard The Duck. That would have never happened before, hah.
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote