Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Exodiuz's Vids & Video Games

Old 06-06-2013, 04:25 PM   #21
ReplicantSavior
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvelito View Post
I guess the scores are usually subjective, and it can be hard to get an unbiased review sometimes.

For me replay value doesn't weigh very heavily. I want the game to be really fun and engaging to play, as well as look and sound great, but when I finish it I'm usually done with it. Unless I don't have another game waiting for me to get into, which I usually do. Maybe it has to do with me not really playing too many shooters or fighting games, those kinds of games do rely more on replay value.
Of course you can get unbiased reviews. First you probably won't get it from a magazine that relies on ad revenue. Second find a person that loves videogames and see if they have a base line for videogames. Establish what's a 10. These won't change depending on the age of the game.

And it's called a videogame. Replay value is tops. It's like someone who watches or plays a sports game only wanting to play it once. That doesn't make sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
I agree for the most part. While I won't say replay value isn't important, the initial experience on the first play through is FAR important to me than whether or not I'll play it again later. Blow me away with a strong narrative and engaging gameplay the first time, and I won't care if I'm going to immediately run through it again or not.
And there is the problem. Classic games knew the essence of replay value. Even when they were short you wanted to play them immediately afterwards. Resident Evil 4 got that. And it did something more. Even if you didn't want to play the full story again which was broken up into convenient sections, it had multiple side modes with Mercenaries, Separate Ways, and Assignment ADA where you could get the purity of the gameplay. To this day, I still play that game. I have the premium PS2 steelbook case on a little stand. Even though I play the GameCube version most of the time.
ReplicantSavior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 07:52 PM   #22
nemesisenforcer

I have been watching the gameplay on youtube and it seems like a pretty cool for a Simon Says type of a game. The story on is cool so far from what I have seen. Makes me want to buy a PS3 just for this game and Heavy Rain. But not sure it would be worth it since the PS4 come out this year.
nemesisenforcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:38 PM   #23
Marvelito

Quote:
While I won't say replay value isn't important, the initial experience on the first play through is FAR important to me than whether or not I'll play it again later. Blow me away with a strong narrative and engaging gameplay the first time, and I won't care if I'm going to immediately run through it again or not.
This is basically the point I was trying to make. The thing is that most of the games I play have a beginning and and end, once I get through them I may go back a bit, but usually I'm on to the next game. Fighting and shooters are the kind you keep going back to for long periods of time and I typically don't play many of those.
Marvelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:39 PM   #24
Marvelito

So is anyone actually playing this game yet?
Marvelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:44 AM   #25
Luminous
Cyclops

I plan on picking it up as soon as I have some free time to play it. Easily my most anticipated game of the year (not including next-gen).
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:59 AM   #26
Rocket
Art of Mod

It's FAN FREAKING TASTIC. Loving it. Trophy hunters be warned though, it's scarce on those. I cannot believe it looks as good as it does on an eight year old console. The opening\intro level is phenomenal. About 46% through here
Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:46 AM   #27
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
It's FAN FREAKING TASTIC. Loving it. Trophy hunters be warned though, it's scarce on those. I cannot believe it looks as good as it does on an eight year old console. The opening\intro level is phenomenal. About 46% through here
Trophies in this game encourage multiple play throughs. Most of the trophies can be had by running through the game a second time.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 03:32 AM   #28
Rocket
Art of Mod

Quote:
Trophies in this game encourage multiple play throughs. Most of the trophies can be had by running through the game a second time.
No I'm saying they are scarce because, well they are scarce. There's far less trophies in terms of a total count, than pretty much any other game of this genre, in fact any other trophy featured game period.
Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 03:55 AM   #29
AsOneDead
You got red on you

A bit over an hour into it and it's alright so far, graphics and everything are great but this type of gameplay is new to me and I'm not liking it so much at the moment. Hopefully it'll grow on me, I've been anticipating this game for a long time now.
AsOneDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:19 AM   #30
Grayfox117
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsOneDead View Post
A bit over an hour into it and it's alright so far, graphics and everything are great but this type of gameplay is new to me and I'm not liking it so much at the moment. Hopefully it'll grow on me, I've been anticipating this game for a long time now.

I'm loving it! Curious as to what type of gameplay you mean. Are you only used to first person shooters? Just curious.
Grayfox117 is offline   Reply With Quote