Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Giclees/Lithos/Prints/Posters

Old 11-09-2011, 04:04 PM   #1
Underdog07
Hercules

Please explain the Mondo-mania

So here are some questions I have, which I hope will spur some debate and generate knowledge:

What actually is Mondo?

Why are Mondo prints so popular?

Which posters command the largest premium (how much and why)?

Is there a fear of counterfeiting?

Do all prints go on sale through the website or are some actually sold at movies, shows, etc?

What are your top 3 grievances against Monster (celebrating festivus a bit early)?

What aside from Mondo is popular/collectible print wise?
Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 04:17 PM   #2
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog07 View Post
What are your top 3 grievances against Monster (celebrating festivus a bit early)?
I'll answer these in order of importance.

Grievances against Monster:
1. He locks his doors.
2. He locks his windows.
3. His coiffure rivals my own.

As far as Mondo is concerned, I don't normally like posters.. but.. I like these artistic nature of the posters; they're not just Face-shots of the actors, and even those with the actors portrayed on them present them in an illustrated/painted manner, making them unique.

These posters are like Reece's Pieces; if I open the bag, I won't be able to eat just one... I'll empty that f#cker in three minutes.

I would think the posters that command the largest premium are those from the most well-received films, OR... aren't they numbered, and their editions vary? If that's the case.. posters with a lower edition (that aren't total garbage) obvious fetch a higher price.
Argonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 04:24 PM   #3
Underdog07
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argonus View Post
I would think the posters that command the largest premium are those from the most well-received films, OR... aren't they numbered, and their editions vary? If that's the case.. posters with a lower edition (that aren't total garbage) obvious fetch a higher price.
Tend to agree with you, but wanted to see which actual ones have created the most buzz etc. I figure Star Wars would be up there, but what are we talking? Can a $40 print actuall command say $1000?
Old 11-09-2011, 04:25 PM   #4
Underdog07
Hercules

Quote:
Tend to agree with you, but wanted to see which actual ones have created the most buzz etc. I figure Star Wars would be up there, but what are we talking? Can a $40 print actuall command say $1000?
Sorry, can a $40 print command 1/10th of a SEA-DOO?
Old 11-09-2011, 04:56 PM   #5
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
I wanna get The Invisible Man (I played Griffin, the aforementioned Invisible Man, in an audio production some years ago, so it's nostalgic)...

.. and Hellboy 2, which is just an awesome film, and a great lookin' poster.

The Undead posters look good too (I really like the simple nature of the 28 Days Later piece, especially).

Could a poster command $1,000? If there's a finite number of them, and some bloke wants to wrangle one away from someone, and has the scratch to do so... $1000 doesn't seem unheard of?

Gah.. I can't imagine spending more than a few hundred on a poster, though, unless it's an original poster from the release of the movie/production it's portraying; in that case, exorbitant prices apply, for sure.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:01 PM   #6
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

Mondo started as my side hobby from comic art. Now its taken over my life.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:01 PM   #7
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Sorry, can a $40 print command 1/10th of a SEA-DOO?

Depends on the "SeaDoo". No busty brunette wants to smash her 'kini cows into your back riding on top of his cheap Halloween: H2O when she could be with Dapper Dan, across the marina, on his souped-up Mondo Steamboat Willie.

Old 11-09-2011, 05:04 PM   #8
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONSTER View Post
Mondo started as my side hobby from comic art. Now its taken over my life.
It's addicting; by tonight, I'm going to have bought three of 'em.. looking at them on-line as I type.

I'm not "tanked" on OA/Commissions, but I have what I need for now.. my guess is you're in the same place, Ken. New commission ideas /page opportunities will mean I never tire of the stuff completely, though.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:09 PM   #9
Underdog07
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argonus View Post
It's addicting; by tonight, I'm going to have bought three of 'em.. looking at them on-line as I type.

I'm not "tanked" on OA/Commissions, but I have what I need for now.. my guess is you're in the same place, Ken. New commission ideas /page opportunities will mean I never tire of the stuff completely, though.
3 already? wow. where these all ebay purchases?
Old 11-09-2011, 05:09 PM   #10
Nidgit
Love me sexy
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
So here are some questions I have, which I hope will spur some debate and generate knowledge:

What actually is Mondo?

Do all prints go on sale through the website or are some actually sold at movies, shows, etc?

I've been 'bit' pretty hard by the 'mondo-mania' so I can only speak for myself re your questions, but hopes this helps:

What actually is MONDO ?

Here's one of the earlier articles I read about Mondo prints and I thought it was quite good.

http://www.oscars.org/press/pressrel...20110711a.html

I collect the occassional movie poster but as Tony posted in another thread here, they have become pretty soul-less and just seem to rehash the same concepts over and over. Many of these prints (especially those by Tyler Stout) really capture the essence of the movies they represent, the story and the characters. And whilst it all comes down to personal preference in the end, most of them are stunning pieces of art in their own right.

It's a combination of the subject matter, the artist, the limited availability and of course the art itself. Two artists (Tyler Stout and Olly Moss) are commanding big bucks for their Star Wars sets (the original trilogies). Stout's for around $1500 and Moss' anywhere from $3000 to $7000 . . . unfortunately, with the cat well and truly out of the bag, most of the prints (purchased at the original price) seem to end up on ebay and exaggerated prices, but you can still find some good buys out there.

To be honest, I've not heard of it but like anything else, I'm sure it will happen if it hasn't already.

Monster could probably field this one better, but as I understand, some are available direct from Mondo, some only available to those that attend the screening of a movie, and some direct from the artists themselves. Then of course there is ebay, and sites like expressobeans.com where mondo collect chat and buy / sell art.

Hmmmm . . . . only 3 . . . that's too hard

Again, I think all of these prints have been categorised as Mondo but there are other artists not affiliated with mondo making prints. I believe mondo werent the first to do this . . . I think there has been a long standing tradition with some cinemas to produce their own prints (the Academy Cinema in London was doing it for a while I believe). But mondo really capitalised on it.
Nidgit is offline   Reply With Quote