Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Giclees/Lithos/Prints/Posters

Old 11-10-2011, 01:42 AM   #21
Underdog07
Hercules

I browsed through the Archives - definitely some pieces I would consider buying. I'm still shocked at some of te prices. I can understand why these sell out immediately as people are hoping to get the next big ticket item
Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 01:51 AM   #22
joy_division
My baby calls me the Loch Ness Monster, two great big humps and then I'm gone

Olly Moss' pieces are regulars in Empire magazine. Wheter he does them for the mag not, I don't know
joy_division is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 01:55 AM   #23
ratchet
Mandarin

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
1. They look super cool. It's like hearing your favorite band do a cover of another one of your favorite bands.

2. Absolutely. It's inevitable. Incidentally, I see Mondo eventually offering canvas prints of earlier releases.
The Star Wars pieces would look awesome on canvas.

3. None. He is a super nice guy.
Like REM doing U2s "One"
ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 09:54 AM   #24
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
I actually meant it. If you ever make your way to Montreal, you'd certainly be welcome to come by with the family. I'm generally quite private when it comes to meeting people online. You've definitely made a wonderful impression over the years.
Take that ball and run with it, RS!

Naw, in all seriousness.. Ken, Bill, yourself, and quite a few others here on SF I would have no hesitation introducing to friends and family. A decent portion of you have good hearts.. and aren't total social groms.

----.. fellow Gammabros and myself are already planning a Vegas trip.
Argonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 09:42 PM   #25
OpticBlast
Sinister Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog07 View Post
So here are some questions I have, which I hope will spur some debate and generate knowledge:

What actually is Mondo?

Why are Mondo prints so popular?

Which posters command the largest premium (how much and why)?

Is there a fear of counterfeiting?

Do all prints go on sale through the website or are some actually sold at movies, shows, etc?

What are your top 3 grievances against Monster (celebrating festivus a bit early)?

What aside from Mondo is popular/collectible print wise?
Mondo Tees is a publisher and patron of artist commissioned to release officially licensed movie posters and art prints. There are many other publishers that also obtain licenses or commission work for their galleries. Such as: cinemaoverdrive, phoneboothgallery, spoke-art, darkcitygallery, darkhallmansion, shopkrypton, 1xrun, underthefloorboards, inprnt, nineteeneightyeight, ltdartgallery, nakatomiinc, and many many others. Mondo tees have definitely earned their fame and success, but that doesn't mean the works from other publishers or artists are of any inferior quality as they may even share the same printing houses. A lot of the time great work gets over looked because there is so much coming out, and people tend to keep up with bigger publishers such as Mondo.

Mondo prints are popular because they are using a combination of many different artists to reinterpret a movie in their own unique individual style. Also because Mondo creates very high quality movie prints using the Screen Printing process which layers single colors at a time that have to dry before adding additional layers. Due to this hand done process they are all very limited and don't get reproduce creating the collectability and demand. Plus it's one of the few chances to own a movie poster in a high quality screen printed version reasonably priced. An example of the screen printing process here.

Poster values rise and fall depending on the quality, artist, style, and license. (All of this is always changing but a few grail examples are, The Thing from Tyler Stout over 1k, Star Wars set from Olly Moss up to 7k with retail price averaging from 45-100 dollars).

Since these prints are screen printed there is not much fear in counterfeiting reproductions as they are very unique and would be extremely hard to reproduce accurately. The type of paper, colors, metallic GITD inks, and process are all unique to the printing house. Some are all hand done others have computers the results all totally vary.

Most Mondo prints see an online release, although there have been exclusive prints available a SDCC, movie screenings such as the Mondo Mystery Movie where a random movie will be shown and a poster based on that movie given out and only available there. A lot of times the artist will allocate a few of the production piece and sell them on their own website as APs and signed which the Mondo releases generally are not signed, just numbered.

Currently I have not assessed enough information to make an informed opinion of grievances against Monster at this time so answer is pending.

Some popular artist are Chuck Sperry, Amy sol, Audrey kawasaki, Shepard fairy, Handiedan, GODMACHINE, Banksy, Olly Moss, Jeremy Geddes, EMEK, MALLEUS, Mr. Brainwash, Rhys Cooper, Melissa Forman, Jeff Proctor, Tom Whalen, Daniel Danger and so many others. It just really depends on what you're looking for. Mondo have used some of the artist I have listed, others just totally do their own thing. Those artists all release collectible limited prints or original artwork either through their own production or were hired by a publisher like Mondo to release their work. Depends if you're looking for officially licensed artwork from popular culture to gig posters for bands or just really love a certain style or artist. Usually these artists also release their work using the screen printing technique, other times it's Giclee on high quality paper.

Fin
OpticBlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 10:04 PM   #26
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpticBlast View Post

There are many other publishers that also obtain licenses or commission work for their galleries. Such as: cinemaoverdrive, phoneboothgallery, spoke-art, darkcitygallery, darkhallmansion, shopkrypton, 1xrun, underthefloorboards, inprnt, nineteeneightyeight, ltdartgallery, nakatomiinc, and many many others.

Any good examples of their work?
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 10:26 PM   #27
OpticBlast
Sinister Six

Phoneboothgallery:

Cinemaoverdrive:

1xrun:
Melissa Forman

Old 11-11-2011, 10:33 PM   #28
OpticBlast
Sinister Six

Underthefloorboards:

ltdartgallery:

Nakatomiinc:

Old 11-11-2011, 10:43 PM   #29
OpticBlast
Sinister Six

Spoke-art:

]

Nineteeneightyeight:

There is a lot more though. Check out their sites for more of their archive.
Old 11-12-2011, 03:06 AM   #30
risingstar
Jedi Order

Very cool. Thanks for that!
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote