Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Giclees/Lithos/Prints/Posters

Old 02-08-2012, 07:54 AM   #51
Darth Pain
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplicantSavior View Post
Those Olly Moss Star Wars posters are pretty boring to me. I have no idea why they are going for so much. $3000 is insane.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome View Post
His name is why people go insane, the Super Mario posters from him going on sale soon will reach ridiculous prices, the posters aren't special at all. People just want it because his posters demand high prices.
I agree completely.
Which is why I've stopped trying to buy any of them. I'm even going to sell some of the ones I bought when I was Mondo hyped. I was searching for a set of Star Wars prints but, because of the ordering bs, I've even lost interest in tracking those down. I've always been more of a statue guy anyway...
Darth Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 12:57 PM   #52
dr_teng

It's kind of strange that people on a message board dedicated to high-end collectibles have difficulty in seeing why some other high-end collectibles are worth a lot of money to some people.

Same as statues and other collectibles (prop replicas, high-end figures, whatever). It's limited, appeals to a certain set of people willing to pay for it, and there you go. Lots of the Mondo posters don't appeal to my sense of design either but hey, art is subjective.

I don't care for the Mario design Moss is putting out but I really like that Zelda one so welp, we'll see if I know anyone going to the exhibit.
Old 02-08-2012, 02:21 PM   #53
ReplicantSavior
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstojano View Post
Are the Mario through Mondo or through his blog? I agree re: Stout's style, don't care or it at all, hurts my brain to look at.
The Mario posters will be at a gallery show this Friday. I believe only a small amount. The rest will be sold somewhere else. Which I don't know yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_teng View Post
It's kind of strange that people on a message board dedicated to high-end collectibles have difficulty in seeing why some other high-end collectibles are worth a lot of money to some people.

Same as statues and other collectibles (prop replicas, high-end figures, whatever). It's limited, appeals to a certain set of people willing to pay for it, and there you go. Lots of the Mondo posters don't appeal to my sense of design either but hey, art is subjective.

I don't care for the Mario design Moss is putting out but I really like that Zelda one so welp, we'll see if I know anyone going to the exhibit.
I just don't get $3000 for those fairly boring images. Limited screen prints or not. There are tons of other limited posters that go nowhere. But these for some reason are $3000. I guess it's Olly Moss' minimal art style + Mondo. Or maybe it's a trend that I don't know about. The fact that the original price of those Star Wars posters was I believe somewhere around $50/poster is exactly why every Mondo release will sell out immediately until they increase their edition sizes.
ReplicantSavior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:36 PM   #54
Matches Malone
Bub Mod

Quote:
I just don't get $3000 for those fairly boring images. Limited screen prints or not. There are tons of other limited posters that go nowhere. But these for some reason are $3000. I guess it's Olly Moss' minimal art style + Mondo. Or maybe it's a trend that I don't know about. The fact that the original price of those Star Wars posters was I believe somewhere around $50/poster is exactly why every Mondo release will sell out immediately until they increase their edition sizes.
Like I eluded to in my previous post I personally think that people are starting to buy these Mondo prints simply because Mondo is putting them out and not because they have any interest in the art or subject matter. I think the proof is in all these other print houses with equally viable product with similar ES' having stock on hand for days or months whereas Mondo offerings sell out in seconds.
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:37 PM   #55
Matches Malone
Bub Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Pain View Post
I agree completely.
Which is why I've stopped trying to buy any of them. I'm even going to sell some of the ones I bought when I was Mondo hyped. I was searching for a set of Star Wars prints but, because of the ordering bs, I've even lost interest in tracking those down. I've always been more of a statue guy anyway...
I think there will be an increasing swell of folks that are too frustrated by the acquisition process and pricing (secondary market) to be bothered as time goes on.
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:42 PM   #56
Underdog07
Hercules

Are the paper products from the other art houses licensed?
Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:45 AM   #57
ReplicantSavior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog07 View Post
Are the paper products from the other art houses licensed?
I'm pretty sure they are. These days news travels fast. Unless the small print runs make it not worth the time to sue. But I doubt it. Justin Ishmael said in that interview that the studios have no problem suing people.

I'm pretty sure people see Mondo and whatever popular artist and think paycheck. Then they try to flip fast to pay the poster bill. Because it's hit or miss if a poster dramatically increases. Even then it takes a while.
ReplicantSavior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 09:59 AM   #58
dr_teng

Quote:
The same could be said of say, the Doctor Doom Premium Format. Lots of people would see that and don't care in the slightest. Or an Adam Hughes commission. But to some collectors, they're something worth a lot. I'm a huge fan of minimalism and find Moss' subtle touches and use of colour really wonderful.

Not $3k wonderful, but definitely a few hundred wonderful, haha. I certainly won't complain if the bubble bursts and I can get his Star Wars posters down the line at a reasonable price, though I find that unlikely.
Old 02-10-2012, 04:45 PM   #59
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome View Post
His name is why people go insane, the Super Mario posters from him going on sale soon will reach ridiculous prices, the posters aren't special at all. People just want it because his posters demand high prices.
I was actually planning on going today but there are already 45 people in line.
Old 02-10-2012, 05:25 PM   #60
madmanny

I really want that Zelda print
madmanny is offline   Reply With Quote