Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Sculptor's Pit Stop

Old 06-16-2005, 05:32 PM   #1
Bengalslair
U talkin' to me?

Midwest clays Grey SS

Question? Is this stuff the same as mixing black and white sculpey III/Premo with super sculpey?

-Rick
Bengalslair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 05:39 PM   #2
JohnCleary
Sculptor
Sculptor

You could do that but the thing with this clay is you can get it in a firm grade which is HARD but makes it so you dont screw your scult up to bad as you work on it. It smooths great and has a great look to it. You see all your mistakes etc. It's my preferred clay as many others.
JohnCleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 05:44 PM   #3
Fishsta
Sculptor
Sculptor

preach it brotha!!! firm gray midwest can't be beat!
Old 06-16-2005, 05:49 PM   #4
Countrikula
Sculptor
Sculptor

Hi there...

The Midwest clay isn't really like those mixtures of clays. It's actually just pigmented Super Sculpey. Same exact type of smoothing and handling.(You know how they all handle differently when brushed down...)The great thing is, Midwest has regular grade and firm grade. The firm grade is great! They've improved it recently, to make it firmer than it was before, and it's the best. Holds up really well. You can actually handle your sculpt without really marring the piece (As long as you're not Doctor Vise-grip...). I've been using the Sculpey's and Fimo, Premo, etc. for many years now, mixing stuff together, and the Midwest grey compound (In my opinion) is just about perfect.
Anyway, sounds like I work for them or somethin'! But really, it is worth using.
And since it's grey already, it gives you a nice starting point to lighten or whatever with Premo, Fimo, what have you.
Check it out!

Best, Rick Force
Countrikula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 07:24 PM   #5
Trevolver
Sculptor
Sculptor

sounds cool. mixing sculpey 3 in with supersculpey always makes it a bit softer...kinda irriates me.

a more firm sculpey sounds ideal...I'm gonna look into this Midwest Clay you speak of. haha.
Trev
Trevolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 08:45 PM   #6
Ghost
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Midwest is pretty sweet. Just 30 mins away from me so I get my stuff super fast. And the firm stuff is the best, you can knock out some major sculpting quick cause it holds it shape really well, and it shows detail alot better then regular SS, holds good texture all that. Just get it! I got myself 6 bricks on recommendation, and it's the right choice!
Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 10:15 PM   #7
Kdawg59
Sculptor of Gods
ProducerSculptor

YESSSSS!! the firm stuff has seduced me back into the sculpey fold for awhile...
Old 06-18-2005, 02:46 PM   #8
Arahom Radjah
ARH Studios

After I tried the Midwest Gray Compound for the first time I just felt in love with it !!! I still have the regular ss mixed with sculpey 3, but just for big sized pieces like the Bi Beast that I made .... with big sculptures is better to have a soft clay ... My finger thanks me for that !!! lol...
Arahom Radjah is offline   Reply With Quote