Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 04-03-2009, 06:35 AM   #1
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

Braces nowadays?

Anyone gotten braces recently or had a child get them? My 14 year old daughter got them and now they use a cement that cures with an ultraviolet light and the braces comes in all sorts of colors. Man, when I got braces when I was a kid, they were all shiny metal and the orthodontist used a hammer to pound them down onto my teeth and I had to sit there and wait for the cement to cure up. Not even going to mention how much I had to write a check for for the braces.
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 08:59 AM   #2
misanthrope
Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change

man my son needs bracers. he wants invisalign but they are insanely expensive. there are several options so you dont have to pay too much. unfortunately the more expensive varieties seem to cause less "social trauma". i wonder if they make a safer kind? i played football as a kid and can remember more than once having the dr. un-stick my lips from my bracers. very painful stuff.
misanthrope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 09:09 AM   #3
dr_teng

I just finished my Invisalign treatment, and I'd be more than happy to answer any questions about that. The treatment took a little over a year. Prior to the treatment, my teeth looked like a damn trainwreck, I'd go so far as to say my teeth were probably some of the worst I'd ever seen!
Old 04-03-2009, 09:17 AM   #4
misanthrope
Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change

could you eat corn on the cobb thru a chicken wire fence? lol! just kiddin man.
misanthrope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 09:40 AM   #5
patrickwm68
The Flash

I had braces as a kid. It was like torture. I had to have 4 teeth pulled before they put them on and I had to wear this thing to widen my top jaw. Then they put these little things between my teeth to spread them apart so the bands could be put on, then there were the rubber bands. 2-1/2 long years of pain, misery, and humiliation.
patrickwm68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 09:40 AM   #6
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

Ya when i had mine, i sat there for like a hour while they glued the metal to my teeth and then tightened the hell out of them.

My little cousin has them, and they are clear and you cant even see them. Plus the way they do them now wont leave any marks on your teeth. The old way, once they came off there was marks from the pressure and years of glue to them. Even now up close i can still see the brace marks on my teeth.

I wish i could have used those clear things you pop in and out all day long growing up. Cant count how many times i cut my mouth up with those metal things, wires poping out sticking thru my cheek. Hell playing football with braces and those crappy mouth pieces would cause all sorts of hell after a game. Glad i got them out in highschool.
Vince-Vell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 09:51 AM   #7
patrickwm68
The Flash

The orthodontist used to give me wax to put on the metal because they were cutting into my mouth.
patrickwm68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 09:51 AM   #8
abarron
Batman

Man
I hated my braces they hurt so much and i had to cut all my food up into tiny pieces and the stuff that the denist did killed.
I had my gums sliced to stop my teeth rotating
abarron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 09:54 AM   #9
fireburns
The X-Men

i did invisalign as an adult. i highly recommend it to anyone who wants to fix some imperfections.
fireburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 10:03 AM   #10
The Batfan
It's not hard to meet expenses, they're everywhere.

my niece who is 15 just got braces and she has those multi colored bases things looks real cool . I had braces and etc and I wore them for almost 3 years, they were trying to fix my overbite and encased my top teeth in like plastic then had shock absorber things leading down to a mouth piece that fit over my lower teeth to push my jaw forward. when they took my top teeth out of the plastic stuff after a year all my top molars were nothing but huge cavities UGHHH. Then they put on full braces after about another year and a half I was 16 at the time and the orthodontist was like I had to wear them for another year I asked for him to take them off I was tired of wearing them. He said NO and well me being the kinda kid I was I said.
F@#k THAT I took vise grips and yanked them all off this was back in 86 the back ones hand metal bands around them and crap and I scraped all the cement and stuff off. man was my mom PISSED LOL today my teeth are not perfect But NOWAY was I gonna wear them another year or more.
The Batfan is offline   Reply With Quote