Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 09-10-2013, 03:07 PM   #15171
Python
Omega Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
I'm not trying to criticize your preference in film, I just don't agree with hype being factored into a movie's rating.
I know lol, and I have to disagree. I think hype and the ultimate disappointment is just part of the business. I guess it is a case of each to their own. The score I gave it wouldn't have changed much anyway regardless of the amount of hype I heard for it, it just made it that much more disappointing as opposed to if I hadn't heard so many good things and then watched it to see an average action film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
Avatar? Over-hyped? Hard to believe considering it's the number 1 at $2.7 billion world wide.
I won't try and deny it was an extremely successful movie, but how many of those people that brought into the hype and paid for their tickets or blu rays etc actually thought it was that good really? It was just an example off of the top of my head. I personally can't think of a better one than Avatar when it comes to over hyped films. Do you disagree?
Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:16 PM   #15172
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Python View Post
I know lol, and I have to disagree. I think hype and the ultimate disappointment is just part of the business. I guess it is a case of each to their own. The score I gave it wouldn't have changed much anyway regardless of the amount of hype I heard for it, it just made it that much more disappointing as opposed to if I hadn't heard so many good things and then watched it to see an average action film.

I won't try and deny it was an extremely successful movie, but how many of those people that brought into the hype and paid for their tickets or blu rays etc actually thought it was that good really? It was just an example off of the top of my head. I personally can't think of a better one than Avatar when it comes to over hyped films. Do you disagree?
I thought it was good enough to buy the BD. I thought the SFX were awesome and the acting decent. yeah so what if the story was done before (i.e. Dances with Wolves). I liked it better than Oblivion (albeit not by much). As for how many that you say bought into the hype thought it was good. We'll never know but I bet a majority did. The love story angle I'm sure brought in a lot of women fans for sure.

I wonder how many women really thought all the Iron Man/Captain America/Avengers/Thor movies were that good yet I bet a lot have BDs or DVDs of them in their homes (only because the husbands are fans).
Old 09-10-2013, 03:19 PM   #15173
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
I thought it was good enough to buy the BD. I thought the SFX were awesome and the acting decent. yeah so what if the story was done before (i.e. Dances with Wolves). I liked it better than Oblivion (albeit not by much). As for how many that you say bought into the hype thought it was good. We'll never know but I bet a majority did. The love story angle I'm sure brought in a lot of women fans for sure.

I wonder how many women really thought all the Iron Man/Captain America/Avengers/Thor movies were that good yet I bet a lot have BDs or DVDs of them in their homes (only because the husbands are fans).
Whatever it is you're smokin, it must be good.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:24 PM   #15174
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
Whatever it is you're smokin, it must be good.
LOL. I knew the ending of it within the 1st half hour of the movie. In fact, during Cruise's monologue at the beginning of the movie I was suspicious it was not what he was saying.
Old 09-10-2013, 03:27 PM   #15175
VaultMan
Advanced Tweet Mechanic
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon_knight1971 View Post
Now You See Me 9/10 GREAT MOVIE! Very original in almost all aspects. Reminded me of the Usual Suspects but with a "magical twist".
Magical twist, list Disney?
VaultMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:09 PM   #15176
Vracula
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
There is good sci-fi and there is Robocop.
You don't deserve to be a Mod, you let all of Nerdville down with that comment.
Vracula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:13 PM   #15177
DynamicMenace
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

dingle berry droppings. --12 0f 17
DynamicMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:00 PM   #15178
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

At the risk of being labeled a mod boot licker....Bulls is right about Robocop. It's not terrible but it is certainly not as good as its hype IMO.
TNovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:46 PM   #15179
marvelboi77
Spider-Woman #1 Fan

Now you see me 5/10..
marvelboi77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:21 PM   #15180
Nidgit
Love me sexy
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNovak View Post
At the risk of being labeled a mod boot licker....Bulls is right about Robocop. It's not terrible but it is certainly not as good as its hype IMO.
Well, at the risk of sounding defensive I think Robocop lives up to the hype and more. For me, what could have been a mindless action movie has so much more to offer:
  • It has a troubled yet driven hero in Murphy / Robo struggling to maintain his humanity.
  • It has a bad ass villain in Clarence Boddicker (and others without divulging spoilers)
  • It has some of the best special effects not only for the time, but that still manage to look great even today. And Robo and ED-209 are some of the best and most memorable robotic designs in sci-fi cinema.
  • It has a fantastic mix of story lines . . . . corporate greed, the decay of society, the privatisation of law enforcement, Murphy's struggle for his own humanity, etc
  • It manages to maintain a very dark tone whilst still delivering plenty of satire and some of the most quotable lines in movie history
  • It has some fantastic action sequences delivered with a level of brutality that totally befits the story itself.

So there
Nidgit is offline   Reply With Quote