A.I.M.

Would love to get Forod
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 07:19 PM   #72
Malvo
U talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67L88Stingray View Post
Well, pretty much everyone that got Grond, Fell Beast, etc... is saying that. They have done that in the past even on preorders too so I wouldn't be shocked if they did. I remember when they discounted some including the new Balrog and Smaug a month or two after preorder went up so it can happen.

If you did end up returning, wouldn't you be on the hook for shipping both ways? Might end up cheaper, but would be a lot of hassle.
Grond started shipping 6 months ago [Sept. 2017] and the Fell Beast two months ago [Jan. 2018]. I'm assuming the sales of the Fell Beast must have been pretty dismal given the fact it's already on sale. Not surprising in the least because it was always overpriced at $700.

Concerning the Balrog and Smaug statue, I don't recall either one going on sale for a good 2+ years after they started shipping. As for pre-orders being on sale before shipping, I'd love to know of a single example of that ever happening, because if it did happen no one would ever pre-order another statue from Weta again.

As for Isildur, I just picked mine up yesterday and haven't even inspected it yet, but based on my recent experiences with Weta I can just about guarantee there will be some flaw, even if minor. And that's all it will take for me to send this one back, with Weta covering the shipping costs both ways.
Malvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 07:41 PM   #73
Malvo
U talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis View Post
Would love to get Forod
Same here, but I suspect it and Gollum will have to wait until Black Friday. Weta charging $500 for the Ringwraith of Forod is a joke, even moreso considering we all just paid $500 for 3 Torturers, Thorin on Throne's, etc.....Given the recent trend of Weta's fire sales I doubt I'd even pay 1/2 price for that one, and I'd be shocked if Weta has even sold 20% of the total ES to date.

As for Gollum, Weta is going to have to offer a huge discount on that one, but even so it's not going to happen before they start shipping. I could actually see them scrapping that project altogether based on the price and lack of enthusiasm so far. I think someone calculated that 9 Gollum's had been sold in the 1st two weeks and if that's the case this entire project may be DOA. Just speculation on my part.
Old 03-14-2018, 10:29 PM   #74
zadmax
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malvo View Post
As for Gollum, Weta is going to have to offer a huge discount on that one, but even so it's not going to happen before they start shipping. I could actually see them scrapping that project altogether based on the price and lack of enthusiasm so far. I think someone calculated that 9 Gollum's had been sold in the 1st two weeks and if that's the case this entire project may be DOA. Just speculation on my part.
It would really be a shame if Weta scrapped Gollum, but I just don't see that happening as it would probably be the end of the whole Masters Collection line right out of the gate. I REALLY want Gollum. I think it looks amazing and was planning on ordering it, but I'm a bit shell shocked at the price.

It will be interesting to see how it all plays out in the coming months as I believe it is supposed to start shipping fairly soon.
zadmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 10:53 PM   #75
67L88Stingray
Doc Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malvo View Post

Concerning the Balrog and Smaug statue, I don't recall either one going on sale for a good 2+ years after they started shipping. As for pre-orders being on sale before shipping, I'd love to know of a single example of that ever happening, because if it did happen no one would ever pre-order another statue from Weta again.
Those 2 were on sale as soon as they went up for preorder for a small window, then went back to full price. A short while later they did discount them even further than the early bird preorder discount(I preordered both of them during the 2nd preorder sale). It was a big issue at the time for those that ordered prior to the 2nd sale.
67L88Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 12:47 AM   #76
Malvo
U talkin' to me?

Quote:
Those 2 were on sale as soon as they went up for preorder for a small window, then went back to full price. A short while later they did discount them even further than the early bird preorder discount(I preordered both of them during the 2nd preorder sale). It was a big issue at the time for those that ordered prior to the 2nd sale.
Now that you mention it, I do recall a pre-order promotion in which the Balrog and Smaug were both initially offered at $50 off the retail price when they first went up for pre-order. I can't remember how long that sale lasted, but I do know it was for a limited time. I don't recall a second pre-order sale, but I'll chalk that up to old age.

So I suppose anything's possible where Isildur is concerned. I'll certainly take advantage of the situation should it arise, but I think Weta would be making a huge mistake in devaluing Isildur so soon after releasing it.
Old 03-15-2018, 12:59 AM   #77
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Big picture I think it’d be a mistake too but I suppose if their goal is to eliminate as much inventory as possible before tax time then there’s a slight chance they’ll do it regardless. Selfishly speaking I’d love to see him go up as I’ll be all over it.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 01:05 AM   #78
Malvo
U talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zadmax View Post
It would really be a shame if Weta scrapped Gollum, but I just don't see that happening as it would probably be the end of the whole Masters Collection line right out of the gate. I REALLY want Gollum. I think it looks amazing and was planning on ordering it, but I'm a bit shell shocked at the price.

It will be interesting to see how it all plays out in the coming months as I believe it is supposed to start shipping fairly soon.
I've wanted Gollum since the moment I first saw it, and the last thing I want to see is Gollum, or any future Master Collection statues scraped. That said, whoever priced this statue needs to have their head examined because that price is beyond insane. But you're right, it will be interesting to see how this thing plays out.
Old 03-15-2018, 01:31 AM   #79
Malvo
U talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
Big picture I think it’d be a mistake too but I suppose if their goal is to eliminate as much inventory as possible before tax time then there’s a slight chance they’ll do it regardless. Selfishly speaking I’d love to see him go up as I’ll be all over it.
I don't pretend to be a tax expert in New Zealand or anywhere else, but this is the first 'tax sale' I've ever heard of from Weta [or any other collectible company for that matter] and I've been collecting their statues since 2001. I suspect this tax time reasoning is BS, I think it much more likely they've got a warehouse full of statues and they've got to move some inventory because they're out of space.

I actually know a former Weta employee who worked in their movie prop department for 4 years before coming home last year. He was working for Weta when they began these Black Friday sales and he said they were the result of a warehouse filled to the rafters with statues and nowhere to put new batches.
Old 03-15-2018, 10:30 AM   #80
gagaliya
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Quote:
LOTR is their bread and butter, they will probably go out of business before that line stops.
You realize selling those statues is just a small part of weta right. Their profit comes from the movie business this is just a hobby for theM.

They are either clearing warehouse for space to store new arrivals or are winding down their statue series because they are not making money / selling.

The $500 for 3 at best weta is breaking even due to making some money off the high shipping, but most likely they are losing money.

On Rivendell they definitely losing money but no one has it shipped yet....

The whole tax sale thing is just marketing.
gagaliya is offline   Reply With Quote