Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 04-20-2017, 10:19 PM   #71
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeGiant View Post
You better mention that I'm the one that got you into this crazy hobby in the first place by posting all my art purchases here.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:53 AM   #72
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

I started back in the mid 1990's and went to conventions to get sketches, wasn't really as focused on original art as I should have been. If only........
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 08:09 AM   #73
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefixit2 View Post
I started back in the mid 1990's and went to conventions to get sketches, wasn't really as focused on original art as I should have been. If only........
I hear ya. I still remember saving up $150.00 for my first SDCC in 1991. I could only imagine the amazing piece (or pieces) that would have bought me back then.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:32 AM   #74
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONSTER View Post
I hear ya. I still remember saving up $150.00 for my first SDCC in 1991. I could only imagine the amazing piece (or pieces) that would have bought me back then.

The thing is that artwork in 1991 (i.e., Adams, Romita, Kirby, Ditko, Byrne, McFarlane, Lee) wasn't any less beautiful then than it is now. Sometimes I wonder what people are really drawn towards.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 10:41 AM   #75
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
The thing is that artwork in 1991 (i.e., Adams, Romita, Kirby, Ditko, Byrne, McFarlane, Lee) wasn't any less beautiful then than it is now. Sometimes I wonder what people are really drawn towards.
For me, I was just so focused on comics that I didn't take time to notice or appreciate the original art behind it. Young and dumb.

Even when I did start buying the occassional commission or published piece, it still wasn't my main collecting focus. It was a side hobby up until about 2007.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:59 PM   #76
superboylives
Mephisto

Quote:
Incidentally, one of my grail pieces is a Dell'Otto Dr. Strange painting. I had my eye on this piece for what seemed to be forever. Nothing I own gets anywhere near the inquiries to buy. Prior to owning it, I would send the original owner purchase-requests approximately 3 times a year (i.e., borderline harassment... but the pleasant kind I assure you!). He kept on respectfully declining. I then did some research and took note of what Dell'Otto painted pieces were generally going for at the time and offered a substantial amount above that. He still declined. It seemed evident that this fellow simply could not be bought. The very next day, he sends me an e-mail and agrees to the sale because some other piece he had been eyeing had suddenly become available. Before he could change his mind, I raced over to my bank and wired cash to his bank account in Europe before he could change his mind. I had the artwork 2 days later.
Hey Charles,

Congratulations on getting the Dell'Otto Dr. Stange. It's stunning. I was struck by one thing that you said. You contacted the owner 3x a year about the art. Every year when SDCC is approaching I inquire about some coveted pieces, because I would rather spend my art budget on a guaranteed winner than take a chance on a new commission. Of course every year I'm turned down by the owner. My question to you and other collectors is is it ok to ask someone if they're selling a piece once a year, 2x a year, 3x a year..etc? When does the potential buyer become a nuisance? On the other hand it seems like timing is an important factor in making a deal happen. Thoughts...?
superboylives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 07:49 AM   #77
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by superboylives View Post
Hey Charles,

Congratulations on getting the Dell'Otto Dr. Stange. It's stunning. I was struck by one thing that you said. You contacted the owner 3x a year about the art. Every year when SDCC is approaching I inquire about some coveted pieces, because I would rather spend my art budget on a guaranteed winner than take a chance on a new commission. Of course every year I'm turned down by the owner. My question to you and other collectors is is it ok to ask someone if they're selling a piece once a year, 2x a year, 3x a year..etc? When does the potential buyer become a nuisance? On the other hand it seems like timing is an important factor in making a deal happen. Thoughts...?

I think it's a case by case basis. Some collectors are really cool about it (i.e., they've been there too, if that makes any sense). Some are great to get to know and share artwork stories with while others are just unapproachable. It's typically easy to tell the difference relatively quickly. The former Dell'Otto owner was a nice guy. We actually became chatty over the years. We didn't just talk about the Strange painting. We also shared pics of our artwork, of artists we liked, and commissions we hoped to one day acquire. However, there was this one time I approached an owner about a Silver Surfer piece, and the way he responded was like he thought I just slept with his wife. That one was bizarre. I didn't contact him after that as he was clearly uninterested in discussing the piece for whatever reason. Then you have people who just do not respond at all.

It's so rare to run into locals who share our interest in the hobby, at least for me. Most of the people I have met and became acquaintances with are people I have either approached to buy artwork or approached me or had info on where to get artwork I was looking for (i.e., commissions). Sadly, I do not have a single art collector contact where I live. While numerous fellow statue collectors have come over, they just walk past all the framed original paintings like it's a kid's wallpaper I bought at Lowes. They're barely impacted by the artwork at all. Yeesh.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 05:42 PM   #78
BillC
Hellboy

Felix I'm thinking a lot of people would be very interested in a podcast with the Donnellys. Any chance that's on the menu?

There are so many questions- what do they do for their main source of income? Are they mainly collectors? How did they get started? How much do they really have? What is their theory on pricing (whether prices are considered high, or rarely set, etc)

That would be a fascinating listen. If anyone knows if they've been interviewed before, please link if it's available.
BillC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 11:28 AM   #79
Bishop40
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
I think it's a case by case basis. Some collectors are really cool about it (i.e., they've been there too, if that makes any sense). Some are great to get to know and share artwork stories with while others are just unapproachable. It's typically easy to tell the difference relatively quickly. The former Dell'Otto owner was a nice guy. We actually became chatty over the years. We didn't just talk about the Strange painting. We also shared pics of our artwork, of artists we liked, and commissions we hoped to one day acquire. However, there was this one time I approached an owner about a Silver Surfer piece, and the way he responded was like he thought I just slept with his wife. That one was bizarre. I didn't contact him after that as he was clearly uninterested in discussing the piece for whatever reason. Then you have people who just do not respond at all.

It's so rare to run into locals who share our interest in the hobby, at least for me. Most of the people I have met and became acquaintances with are people I have either approached to buy artwork or approached me or had info on where to get artwork I was looking for (i.e., commissions). Sadly, I do not have a single art collector contact where I live. While numerous fellow statue collectors have come over, they just walk past all the framed original paintings like it's a kid's wallpaper I bought at Lowes. They're barely impacted by the artwork at all. Yeesh.
Bishop40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 03:22 PM   #80
FelixComicArt
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Quote:
Originally Posted by superboylives View Post
Felix, thank you very much for these podcasts. I've listened to most of them at least 2x. Some 4x. The Danzig portion of the latest one was incredible. Unfortunately The second half of the podcast dealt more with dealing than collecting so I didn't find it nearly as interesting. I'm crossing my fingers that the next one with Albert will be available soon.
Thanks! That's very flattering that you would listen multiple times. I've had other people say that, too. It amazes me. Glad you're enjoying it. The next episode will be up in a couple of weeks!
FelixComicArt is offline   Reply With Quote