Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 03-19-2017, 07:33 PM   #81
The SHOGUN
Hellfire Club

Risingstar,

This thread discussion is not about my changing tastes or my farewell to the hobby. It's more of an assessment and open discussion of the current state of the hobby and where the hobby is going. Everything changes, everything. I'm aware the hobby of statue production and collecting isn't going way or dying, the thread title was meant to be an attention getter to promote conversation. I will say that there are certain aspects of the hobby that are on their way out, which is sad to some and fine by others. I think discussions like this offer a much needed break from the WHAT'S UP NEXT threads. I believe this thread serves an important purpose to this community as a place where we can collectively examine the changing climate of this hobby that many of us are so deeply committed to. Like Ferris Buehler said, "life moves pretty fast...if you don't stop and look around once in a while you could miss it"
The SHOGUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 07:41 PM   #82
Darth Madden
Luke Cage

Its dying for me because of prices and saturation of product. Just too much out there, too many low edition sizes intended to bring about a quick inflated after market value and prices just getting out of hand. Its not fun anymore.
Darth Madden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 04:06 AM   #83
dominicqwek
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

I hope not. There are a few indie productions that are showing that good and affordable products can be made. I do agree that prices are getting out of hand these days. And also my livelihood depends on these industry so I hope its around for a while!
dominicqwek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 06:32 AM   #84
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominicqwek View Post
I hope not. There are a few indie productions that are showing that good and affordable products can be made. I do agree that prices are getting out of hand these days. And also my livelihood depends on these industry so I hope its around for a while!
I wouldn't worry Dominic. Your work is fairly amazing and with digital software knowledge theres always other uses for your skills. Besides people will always buy sculptures, that hasn't changed in thousands of years.
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 08:15 AM   #85
Collectorcol
100,000 sperm and you were the fastest?

I'm done.

Price rises, unpredictable quality and waiting a year for replament parts on a £1,400 statue have spoiled the hobby for me.

Finally picked up the SWS 1:1 Predator Bust so I'm happy.
Collectorcol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 08:48 AM   #86
RichBamf
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
Forps is showing his ignorance......PERIOD.
But Keith, he also put his opinion in BOLD, surely that gives it much more weight...right?
RichBamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 01:02 PM   #87
Walls
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collectorcol View Post
I'm done.

Price rises, unpredictable quality and waiting a year for replament parts on a £1,400 statue have spoiled the hobby for me.

Finally picked up the SWS 1:1 Predator Bust so I'm happy.
I'm kind of leaning your way, last two PF's I received had/have problems and at at least $500 a pop there should be zero issues.... and if there are issues a collector shouldn't have to jump through hoops of fire to get them taken care of.

High price plus inferior quality are making it hard to stay on board.

And just a side note, every Bowen piece I own is still just as good as new all these years later. Overall better quality, really miss Bowen.
Walls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 04:11 PM   #88
forps
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

So you are all right and i am a troll, a jerk, an idiot? Ok. Lets see...(before i start, lets say thanks to god, Sideshow "listened" to forps or better said the market and gave us an ENORMOUS Thanos, full of details, with modern touch and realism and complicate paint schemes. Thank you god - if you exist! Thanks for making Sideshow following the "forps way").

Sideshow and Adam West Batman.It is the ONLY 1/4 Adam West Batman in statue form. Edition size ? 750 ONLY. Where are the buyers? Even the Arkham Knight variants from Prime1 sold 4-5000 pieces in 1/3 scale! The reason why a MARVELLOUS sculpt from Sideshow such as Adam West 1/4 didnt sell ? The costume looks GOOFY and OUTDATED. PERIOD. PERIOD. Attention! I have po'ed 1 for my 2nd mancave (my strictly personal mancave). But NO WAY this statue goes in my main mancave. Its toooooo goofy looking, its not appropriate for a man @ his 40-50es.

Skeletor Sideshow vs PCS Skeletor? 6500 vs 600 edition sizes?

Hot toys Batmobile 1966. It was teased 4 or 5 years ago? Hot toys is not releasing it, cause it got burned by the sales of the 1/6 figures. It is TOO outdated and goofy looking for our times guys.

The new Avengers line from Sideshow. Look @ Iron man or Captain America. Too bland, too comic-looking = A DISASTER for Sideshow. Sales and es around 500 !!!

Nostalgia is good, Bowen is good with their childish sculpts and paints, but with Prime1 killing it or ECC giving to the collectors realism, NOBODY is going to fork out 500dol or more for an OUTDATED sculpt or something lacking in details....Bowen was good for that time, but we have entered a new era.

The market "speaks" for itself, not forps, the jerk, the idiot, the troll....

(explain to me the POOR sales of all outdated statues or figures or why Hot toys is not releasing 1966 Batmobile or why Sideshow got destroyed with their new 1/5 Avengers line and then we can speak about Bowen.

From around 50 people i know collecting and they are collecting "hard" - multiple statues per month, only 6 or 7 of them have Bowens in their collections, this is around 12-14% of the market today. Another 10 or more had Bowens and sold them, once Sideshow got in the game or the new companies. They simple state to me, that NO WAY they are returning to Bowen and the "toy" looking stuff.

Sideshow created this hobby. If only Bowen produced stuff, NO WAY successful businessmen or other people outside of the hobby would buy Bowen-style "toys" to put in their homes having a SOCIAL LIFE.

Skeletor showed this in extreme. How people swarmed in order to buy something "grown-up" looking from MOTU. At last, something they could put in their homes and doesnt look 100% like a toy!

Adam West, Skeletor, Batmobile 1966 or the new Avengers line from Sideshow are some examples. Collectors nowadays want

1) Big sculpts
2) Complicate sculpts
3) MODERN looking-sculpts and portraits
4) Realism
5) Paint schemes more complicate than ever

Sorry guys, nostalgia is good, but Sideshow cant afford to listen to 10-20 people here. You-we are only 3% of their customer base. And their 97% customer base wants NO-bowen style statues. Simple as that.

Sorry guys. Forps is telling the truth and what the market looks like today, i know some of you love Bowen or simple sculpts but Sideshow, Prime1, ECC etc, should listen to the MAJORITY of their customer base, not 10-20 people in this forum. Now you can mock me as much as you like. I am not going to say anything bad for you, i love you all...You are fellow geeks!!)
forps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 04:46 PM   #89
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Congrats. Not for that drivel, but for being the most insufferable individual I've ever encountered (in such a short time, too). Bravo.
ZenLogikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 05:10 PM   #90
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

Someone wants the title of village idiot pretty badly

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote