Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 05-28-2017, 09:26 AM   #11
Python
Omega Red

Delays don't bother me so much, I appreciate why they might others however. I've been in the hobby a long time and I expect them when I make a purchase these days. As long as the final product is up to standard, I'm fine with a delay, assuming it's reasonable, I.E months rather than multiple years.

As for license announcements followed by long delays before actually seeing anything. Again, I see why this may frustrate people, but I'm fine with it. I like to know what companies have in the pipe line as soon as possible as it allows me to plan my funds etc for the future. For example, Prime 1 have announced Aliens and Predators. They probably won't happen for a long time and I'm perfectly okay with that as I expect they will be expensive. I now have time to save some money, and reduce my spending from other companies now in anticipation of them. If they revealed it today, and put up a $1500+ Big chap Alien statue tomorrow, I'd probably not be able to get it.
Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 09:40 AM   #12
EnShinNoi
Midnighter

I don't mind waiting. I don't think it diminishes excitement, more so the opposite. Although sometimes it does backfire for companies. Like when Sideshow sneaked their Hobbit license and ended up doing jack all with it.

Besides, I have a rainy day wishlist. If I haven't received a statue or preordered anything for a while, I look back on this list and go aftermarket hunting.

Just recently I bought a small WDCC figurine. Nothing major but something I really wanted and enough to wet my appetite before the bigger stuff arrives.
EnShinNoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 09:57 AM   #13
jadekite22
Kindly Asked To Leave

P1's and Kinetiquette's puzzle piece teasers and digital renders previews can be a bit annoying when news of progress goes silent for months, if not years for some pieces. That said, those are two companies that I feel have proven quality track record in a relatively short amount of time; so I'm more than fine knowing the licenses they've acquired as soon as the ink has dried rather than waiting until pieces being designed/finalized. That encourages me to be patient and make a more informed decision instead of rushing to PO a Zatanna from SS, for example, just because they're the first out of the gate. I'd rather wait for the one I know I'll keep since the announcement of potentially better one will devalue the first to where I can't break even if I decide to sell.

What frustrates me more is on the PCS/SS side of things, when I've actually dropped PO money and turnaround time is years long. Pieces can look like the best thing available at the moment, but years provide a lot of time for other companies to innovate and for the stuff you have on order to look dated compared to newer pieces you've acquired. Recent pictures of Scorpion for example, apart from the leaning/fitting issues, look pretty awesome paint-wise. That said, seeing it next to the fully sculpted P1 Batman stuff made it look older, which it technically is despite it being more recently shipped. Scorps could be the best looking and I might still end up selling him over an entire line of fully sculpted 1:3 pieces if I planned to display all my video game stuff together.
jadekite22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 11:08 AM   #14
Old Snake
Kindly Asked To Leave

P1 is on a technical level far above PCS - and I mean this respectfully to both companies, but this is expected as P1 is a Japanese company with deeper pockets. With PCS, you'll notice that their most-loved pieces are the ones showcasing a mastery of anatomy, with simple costumes thrown at them. I think they've stepped up their game recently with Rambo and Chun Li.

Chun Li is being given a two year estimate, hinting at a difficult production ahead. It's probably not so much an issue of the factory's ability as it is an issue of not paying them enough, therefore being pushed farther back in the queue behind customers (P1? SS?) that do pay more.

Will that mean a three year wait for Chun Li? That's enough for me to almost consider getting none of them tomorrow, when there's so much out there to choose from, having interests beyond Street Fighter. I will probably deposit only for classic Chun, but I get the feeling that P1 will announce, sell, and ship theirs well before PCS' is ready.
Old Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 11:20 AM   #15
built2shred
Phoenix

As someone who has lost close to $700 in deposits to SS over several years, Pre-Ordering with non-refundable deposits is defiantly a source of income for them. I know under certain circumstances they will give you the deposit back but most of the time they won't. Can't blame them as it's advertised that way on their website.

But it did teach me a lesson, don't pre-order.... As others have said, for 95% of the statues out there you can wait until release and they are usually still for sale. Only exceptions might be must have Exclusive's or really low edition sizes. Although I even noticed with the latest XM Statues you can buy them from people or even flippers for retail or very close to it. Their Punisher statue is a good example.

The biggest downside to pre-ordering is most statues take 1-2 years to come out and by then your collection might be going in a different direction or you've run out of room and in most cases would like to cancel it, so yeah pre-ordering is not the best path anymore unless it's something rare.

As for previews, yeah the partial previews are annoying, I rather they show the entire statue so then you can decide if it's something you want to wait for or not, when they only show the mid section or feet you really can't tell.
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 11:24 AM   #16
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

The wait doesn't bother me. I have been buying statues since Bowen was the main statue producer and the waits back then were even close to a year. Being involved in forums for so long ive developed some good friendships within the business and I understand the delays, complications and difficulties in this industry.
Old 05-28-2017, 11:32 AM   #17
Nugchompa
Captain Marvel

The only thing that has really annoyed me recently is when Prime 1 changed the portrait for 1/2 scale Wonder Woman, but didn't give us a decent picture. Why not? Some people have ordered and deserve to see the full change.
Nugchompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 12:09 PM   #18
jadekite22
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Snake View Post
P1 is on a technical level far above PCS - and I mean this respectfully to both companies, but this is expected as P1 is a Japanese company with deeper pockets. With PCS, you'll notice that their most-loved pieces are the ones showcasing a mastery of anatomy, with simple costumes thrown at them. I think they've stepped up their game recently with Rambo and Chun Li.

Chun Li is being given a two year estimate, hinting at a difficult production ahead. It's probably not so much an issue of the factory's ability as it is an issue of not paying them enough, therefore being pushed farther back in the queue behind customers (P1? SS?) that do pay more.

Will that mean a three year wait for Chun Li? That's enough for me to almost consider getting none of them tomorrow, when there's so much out there to choose from, having interests beyond Street Fighter. I will probably deposit only for classic Chun, but I get the feeling that P1 will announce, sell, and ship theirs well before PCS' is ready.
I've never knocked PCS's artistic skills (I've included praise in even my most critical posts) but I don't think they're necessarily on another level. P1 works with digital scans on most pieces whereas PCS works with licenses that allow more creative liberty with the anatomy. I'm just as impressed by the veins on 1:2 Superman's hands as I am with Sagat's calves (what a strange sentence )

My tastes indicate a preference for PCS's creativity in interpreting Chun Li's physique; but then I see the Guyver or Berserk statues, which translate the anime looks so well that I can see the contest being a toss-up. Worse, if the factory can't match the fitting on the mixed media, it stands more of a chance of looking dated next to whatever the competition offers by time she's released.

I'm leaning toward none as well tomorrow, but I still appreciate PCS finally taking the necessary steps to keep up with the demands of their expanding customer base and maybe even compete with other companies holding their licenses. If SF was my #1 priority, I'd make room for all the various Chun Lis. I already sacrificed getting the legacy set to PO a comic piece that fits the majority of my collection, so unfortunately I'd be safer waiting to determine the definitive one.
Old 05-28-2017, 12:24 PM   #19
jadekite22
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugchompa View Post
The only thing that has really annoyed me recently is when Prime 1 changed the portrait for 1/2 scale Wonder Woman, but didn't give us a decent picture. Why not? Some people have ordered and deserve to see the full change.
I don't think it's ready yet and we're more than likely going to see a delay as it's being finalized to give at least SS customers an opportunity to get their NRDs back, if necessary. Like Kelvin Loke on FB indicated with Suicide Squad Harley, I don't think there was any intention to change the portraits once the piece went up for PO. However, Loke released video footage of the 1:2 scale BvS pieces from Shiok Toys last month and WW . . . wasn't warmly received, to put it lightly. Then, this month, we got news of the reworked portrait. We shall see. Personally, the new image (and great video of other pieces in the line)was enough to get me to PO after being on the fence.
Old 05-28-2017, 12:40 PM   #20
grphyx1
Kingpin

I've resolved my thinking that I'll probably be dead before i see some of my preorders. Some of the smaller items staggered in between make the time pass. It's an unfortunate side of purchasing collectibles. The waiting game
grphyx1 is online now   Reply With Quote