Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 08-20-2018, 10:04 PM   #121
Mr. Nice Guy
New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KELPIE View Post
The Marvel cinematic universe is a little different in that they are multiple franchises with differing themes and styles. Sci-Fi, War, heist, mythology, etc.

Not everyone goes to the cinema to watch Cap, Ant Man, Thor, Doc Strange or GotG. If you're a fan of a particular franchise you have a couple years between films to get excited for the next film in that franchise.

I know lots of people who used to rush out and see every Marvel film in cinemas, that don't anymore.

However pretty much everyone goes to see the Avengers. Some will catch up on the other films via streaming, blu-ray or other means but ultimately, box office tells us that's the one people flock to.

If there was an Avengers movie every year, I bet you they wouldn't be pulling in 1 - 2 billion dollars per movie.

Now with Star Wars, every film will be a Sci-Fi film. This is compounded by the fact that all spin off films are still firmly centred around the core cast and existing films. Rogue One is basically 3.5, Han Solo is an origin story... slight changes but it's all very... samey.

Star Wars was always "the thing you need to experience in cinemas", now well, eh, there will be one next year, I might catch that one in cinemas.

At best, the core trilogy films should be three years apart. As for the spin offs, they should have held off until they had developed something worth telling.
I agree with this. There’s too much all at once. Marvel is different as you can pick and choose what your core lines are to follow. Good way to think of it.
Mr. Nice Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 10:07 PM   #122
built2shred
Phoenix

If Star Wars had great stories to tell and the box office numbers were dwindling then I would agree with you, but when Lucasfilms is putting out some pretty bad movies then it's hard to say if it's fatigue or people not wanting to see a crap movie... plus were only talking 4 movies here.. it's not like they've put out a dozen or so...

I agree that Rogue One was a great movie, it fit in well for a prequel to Star Wars..

TFA wasn't as bad a TLJ but it wasn't all that great either given he had the original cast to work with... It made mad money because of the original cast coming back... and it had been a long time since we got a new Star Wars movie, so the hype was through the roof..

Unless JJ Abrams pulls a magic rabbit out of his hat I doubt Episode 9 will save anything especially given Kennedy is hell bent on taking Star Wars down this path..
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 09:14 AM   #123
Python
Omega Red

Quote:
Now with Star Wars, every film will be a Sci-Fi film. This is compounded by the fact that all spin off films are still firmly centred around the core cast and existing films. Rogue One is basically 3.5, Han Solo is an origin story... slight changes but it's all very... samey.

Every fast and the furious is a brainless action movie with fast cars and skimpy women. It hasn't stopped the franchise going on for what seems like an eternity, and still bringing in huge amounts of money. That franchise sticks to what it does best for its audience (for better or worse).

We've only had Star wars back for a couple of years. I don't think fatigue is even a factor at this point. That seems like an excuse for a more obvious issue of bad management and even worse writing (The last Jedi being in a league of its own, the rest were just alright) People are still crying out for Star Wars movies and will do for many years yet, just better ones than Disney are giving us currently.
Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 09:52 AM   #124
galactus
Cosmic Art Collector
Adamantium Plus Member

No one wants the same stories over and over again. Anyone who thinks fans are complaining about something "new" are confusing new with bad. Everyone wants new stories, but they must be entertaining as well.

As for the characters, if they're going to make a big deal about Luke, Leia and Han coming back, then give us Luke, Leia and Han, in a new, good story. Giving us pale versions of these characters, within the context of boring, unoriginal stories, along with boring, annoying new characters, is recipe for disaster REGARDLESS of the franchise.
galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 03:20 PM   #125
Leon
WHITE & NERDY

Quote:
Originally Posted by galactus View Post
No one wants the same stories over and over again. Anyone who thinks fans are complaining about something "new" are confusing new with bad. Everyone wants new stories, but they must be entertaining as well.

As for the characters, if they're going to make a big deal about Luke, Leia and Han coming back, then give us Luke, Leia and Han, in a new, good story. Giving us pale versions of these characters, within the context of boring, unoriginal stories, along with boring, annoying new characters, is recipe for disaster REGARDLESS of the franchise.
Leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 05:22 PM   #126
nameivom
The Herculoids

All signs seem to be pointing to Kathleen being let go with the Rian Johnson trilogy being axed. Disney has their shareholders end of quarter meeting next month. Expect everything to go down around that time.

Early rumors are Dave Filoni could be getting promoted and taking over. The sad thing is none of this will change Episode 9 as they are already filming it. Maybe the future though is at least a little bit brighter for Star Wars.
nameivom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 09:23 PM   #127
Meteor Man
Imperial Guardsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by galactus View Post

Great post Drew!
Meteor Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 10:03 PM   #128
KELPIE
New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Python View Post
Every fast and the furious is a brainless action movie with fast cars and skimpy women. It hasn't stopped the franchise going on for what seems like an eternity, and still bringing in huge amounts of money. That franchise sticks to what it does best for its audience (for better or worse).

We've only had Star wars back for a couple of years. I don't think fatigue is even a factor at this point. That seems like an excuse for a more obvious issue of bad management and even worse writing (The last Jedi being in a league of its own, the rest were just alright) People are still crying out for Star Wars movies and will do for many years yet, just better ones than Disney are giving us currently.
That kind of enforces my point. They don't release a fast and furious movie every year.

As for fatigue...

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
and it had been a long time since we got a new Star Wars movie, so the hype was through the roof..
well, this is exactly what we are talking about. Hype diminishes.

We might not have reached that point yet, however it's started and it will only get worse.
KELPIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 10:31 PM   #129
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
That kind of enforces my point. They don't release a fast and furious movie every year.

As for fatigue...

well, this is exactly what we are talking about. Hype diminishes.

We might not have reached that point yet, however it's started and it will only get worse.
If this was true people would of been sick of Star Trek Next Generation after a few episodes and it went on for seven years.... An average of 24 episodes a year at 45 mins per episode, that's 18 hours of Star Trek a year compared to Star Wars 2.5 hours a year..

Sure you could create hype by only releasing a new Star Wars movie every 10 years but that's still not going to help you if they get a repetition for releasing crap stories, eventually people will just move on and not care about the franchise anymore... I think were starting to see that after The Last Jedi was released... I saw the Solo movie and it was much better then TLJ yet it bombed because people skipped it because TLJ ruined the franchise to a lot of fans...
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 11:00 PM   #130
off
The X-Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
If this was true people would of been sick of Star Trek Next Generation after a few episodes and it went on for seven years.... An average of 24 episodes a year at 45 mins per episode, that's 18 hours of Star Trek a year compared to Star Wars 2.5 hours a year..

Sure you could create hype by only releasing a new Star Wars movie every 10 years but that's still not going to help you if they get a repetition for releasing crap stories, eventually people will just move on and not care about the franchise anymore... I think were starting to see that after The Last Jedi was released... I saw the Solo movie and it was much better then TLJ yet it bombed because people skipped it because TLJ ruined the franchise to a lot of fans...

Yep, I still can't bring myself to see Solo. TLJ has just about ruined all Star Wars for me.
off is offline   Reply With Quote