Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 01-28-2015, 08:43 PM   #181
protector2814
Phoenix

Thanks a lot Gomur for both recommendations . I'm gonna look around a few lcs's before I bite on Amazon, see if I can find a better deal. I'll be getting both & will let you know what I think.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 12:47 PM   #182
ftrez
Nightwing

The last TPB I read was Cerebus Flight but I don't know that I'd recommend it. At least not without reading everything that came before it.

I read the early Cerebus, through Church & State in the 80's and then stopped when I caught on that Sim was blocking out separate stories. I figured I'll just read each story all at once. I continued to buy the single issues through Mothers & Daughters then decided I'll just buy the phonebooks (TPBs) but I didn't crack open a single issue for years and years. I was aware of the controversy over Sim's views on women that was going on and that sort of killed my interest in the book. I did end up buying all of the trades and they just sat on my shelf but I figured the 300th and last issue came out 10 years ago or more, I might as well read 'em now. It started out strong but, while the quality of the art increases over time, the quality of the story declines. Sim never treated female characters particularly well to begin with but he's getting more overt with his philosophies. I expect it's going to get worse.
ftrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 03:32 PM   #183
whd
Suicide Squad

The Mighty published by Dark Horse is a great read. There is a single trade that collects all 12 issues, which is the entire series. If you're interested in dark twists on classic super hero archtypes, then you might want to check it out. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
whd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 11:27 PM   #184
PureInvasion
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Southern Bastards and Copperhead are two really solid Image titles I've been reading lately. Don't think trades have been released for either yet (?), but I'm sure you can find some single issues.
PureInvasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 01:36 AM   #185
ratchet
Mandarin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
Black Widow is an brilliant book with one of the best artists working in comics today.
Agreed

I am also reading the Silver Surfer (3rd Series) and it is amazing. Well thought out, action packed and fun - just finished the Blood and Thunder storyline where Thor has gone mad - really loved it.
ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 10:14 AM   #186
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babytoxie View Post
I finished the hardcover reprint of Frank Miller and Walt Simonson's Robocop vs. The Terminator. This 4-issue miniseries was one of my favorite comics of the '90s, and it's one of the best crossovers I've ever read. It's loaded with time travel, and the paradoxes will make your head hurt, but it works! It takes the two properties far beyond what you would expect in a standard intercompany crossover, actually making them dependent upon each other. Do yourself a favor and check this out.
I picked this up based on your recommendation, read it last night, and agree. While it's not Simonson's best art work, much of the art feels stiff compared to his usually fluid style, everything you state about the plot and story is spot on. Great read.

Last edited by wktf; 02-20-2015 at 10:41 AM.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 06:19 PM   #187
Babytoxie
Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babytoxie View Post
I finished the hardcover reprint of Frank Miller and Walt Simonson's Robocop vs. The Terminator. This 4-issue miniseries was one of my favorite comics of the '90s, and it's one of the best crossovers I've ever read. It's loaded with time travel, and the paradoxes will make your head hurt, but it works! It takes the two properties far beyond what you would expect in a standard intercompany crossover, actually making them dependent upon each other. Do yourself a favor and check this out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
I picked this up based on your recommendation, read it last night, and agree. While it's not Simonson's best art work, much of the art feels stiff compared to his usually fluid style, everything you state about the plot and story is spot on. Great read.
Excellent - glad to hear that you enjoyed it!
Babytoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 09:48 AM   #188
Babytoxie
Ghost

Dredd: Urban Warfare HC

Ever since 1995's Judge Dredd, chances of any more movies featuring the futuristic lawman seemed slim; however, 2012's Dredd did so many things correctly. By doing away with backstory, subplots, and hammy acting, viewers got a stripped-down, tense, and tightly-plotted action thriller, with a trapped Dredd and Cadet Anderson fighting their way through a Mega-City One block controlled by drug lord Ma-Ma and her army of thugs.

Based on how good that more recent movie was, the book DREDD: URBAN WARFARE was a must-have. Featuring excellent covers by Henry Flint and Jock, this 96-page hardcover collects all of the movie tie-ins from Judge Dredd Megazine # 328, 340 - 342, and 350 - 354. Contents are as follows:

"Top of The World, Ma-Ma" - By Matt Smith & Henry Flint. This prequel features the rise of Ma-Ma from bottom-rung streetwalker to kingpin. I loved Lena Headey's performance in the film and was really looking forward to learning of the character's past, but unfortunately, there's not much of interest here. The art is good, but the story is dull, predictable, and crass - such a shame that the origin of a formidable villain boils down to this.

"Underbelly" - By Arthur Wyatt & Henry Flint. Set after the events of the movie, Anderson is now a full Psi-Judge. Muties are being smuggled into Mega-City One from the Cursed Earth, only to disappear. At the same time, the new drug Psych has replaced Ma-Ma's Slo-Mo, and it's up to Dredd & Anderson to find the connection. The story is good, but the organization and narrative could have been better.

"Uprise" - By Arthur Wyatt & Paul Davidson. Also set after the movie, this longer story shows that even Mega-City One is not immune to gentrification... and certainly not to rioting. This is one of the better Judge Dredd stories I've read in a while - it's complex, well-told, and the art is clean and stylish.

Rather than a typical oversized Dredd release, DREDD: URBAN WARFARE has the dimensions of a standard comic. The art stands out on thick high-quality paper, and the price is right. If you're a fan of the movie, then you should buy this book. While I didn't love all of the stories, 2 out of 3 ain't bad, so I'm keeping it.

Old 06-03-2015, 11:55 AM   #189
Babytoxie
Ghost

Prophet volume 4: Joining

Writer & occasional artist Brandon Graham brings this acclaimed storyline to a close - for the time being – and I’ve loved every minute of it, championing this series since it began 3 years ago. Graham transformed this vapid Rob Liefeld creation into one of the most fascinating comics I’ve ever read. By investing fully in the science fiction elements of the character and propelling things 10,000 years into the future, Prophet went in a direction that was completely different from the original stories of the 1990s. Even then, you will see some of Liefeld’s other Extreme Studios characters - some interesting glimpses into Diehard’s past, scenes from the final years of Youngblood, and the return of Badrock, to name a few. While I hold Liefeld's original work on these characters in disdain, Graham's handling of them certainly makes them interesting.

Volume 4 collects issues 39 – 45, plus Prophet: Strikefile # 1 & 2. The Strikefile issues serve as a sort of Handbook of The Prophet Universe, providing some welcome exposition on events prior to this storyline, as well as entries for individual characters or groups. While I would have appreciated having this information earlier in the run, it’s a relief to learn that my assumptions were not too far off-target.

I’m actually surprised that this story ran as long as it did, as I’d figured that the creative team would have either tired of it, or run out of ideas. Thankfully, that was not the case; in fact, they always found new ways to impress me. While Prophet is not the easiest story to follow, its complexity and occasional inscrutability are part of its charm. Readers are left with a cliffhanger, but there’s more in store with the forthcoming series Prophet: Earth War, which will apparently wrap things up. I’m looking forward to it.

Old 06-03-2015, 11:43 PM   #190
supahman
I don't have a solution but I admire the problem.

man.. I need to read prophet !
supahman is offline   Reply With Quote