Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 03-25-2024, 05:01 PM   #29981
nearmint
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLadMSP View Post
I have not. What is it about?
One of my top 3 from last year.

German-occupied Poland, summer of 1943. More than anything, Hedwig, an indefatigable mother of five, wants to keep her well-organized life as is. After all, she has worked her fingers to the bone to create a fragrant slice of paradise to raise her children, and nothing will change that. If only her husband, the distinguished SS officer and Auschwitz commander Rudolf Hess, weren't always burdened by his duties. But perfection is a fleeting illusion. As the oblivious life of the commandant's wife unravels in cloudless bliss, Rudolf finds himself swamped with work, saddled with testing a new ventilation design and overseeing the installation of a highly effective Topf and Sons multi-muffle, non-stop incineration oven system. Indeed, it's hard to imagine that just a hair's breadth away from the peaceful and idyllic Hess household, the unimaginable horrors of the Final Solution were unfolding in full swing. And as noisome fumes and muffled, blood-curdling noises blemish Hedwig's fragrant utopia, a question emerges. When evil becomes banal and apathy requires no effort, what separates man from beast?
nearmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 06:48 PM   #29982
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearmint View Post
One of my top 3 from last year.

German-occupied Poland, summer of 1943. More than anything, Hedwig, an indefatigable mother of five, wants to keep her well-organized life as is. After all, she has worked her fingers to the bone to create a fragrant slice of paradise to raise her children, and nothing will change that. If only her husband, the distinguished SS officer and Auschwitz commander Rudolf Hess, weren't always burdened by his duties. But perfection is a fleeting illusion. As the oblivious life of the commandant's wife unravels in cloudless bliss, Rudolf finds himself swamped with work, saddled with testing a new ventilation design and overseeing the installation of a highly effective Topf and Sons multi-muffle, non-stop incineration oven system. Indeed, it's hard to imagine that just a hair's breadth away from the peaceful and idyllic Hess household, the unimaginable horrors of the Final Solution were unfolding in full swing. And as noisome fumes and muffled, blood-curdling noises blemish Hedwig's fragrant utopia, a question emerges. When evil becomes banal and apathy requires no effort, what separates man from beast?
Hmm, the synopsis doesn't interest me as much, but I might still check it out sometime if I see it on streaming.

I'm thinking I might watch The Holdovers tonight.
NorthernLadMSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 07:39 PM   #29983
ParisDean
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Quote:
Hmm, the synopsis doesn't interest me as much, but I might still check it out sometime if I see it on streaming.

I'm thinking I might watch The Holdovers tonight.
I liked The Zone of Interest slightly more than Anatomy of a Fall. My review from earlier this year:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisDean View Post

The Zone of Interest (2023) - Auschwitz commandant Rudolf Hoss and his wife Hedwig strive to build a dream life for their family in a house and garden beside the camp.

It's amazing how disturbing this movie was without showing anything even remotely graphic. It was all about what you knew--and more importantly, heard--what was happening in the background while this family went about their daily lives. 9/10
Among the numerous awards it won, it deservedly got the Academy Award for sound for how it mixed the atrocities heard in the background. It's one of my favorite films of 2023.
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 07:51 PM   #29984
ParisDean
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Quote:
Have you seen Zone of Interest? Same actress. She had a great year.
Have you watched Sandra Huller's comedy from 2016, Toni Erdmann? It's her movie that I like the most. The birthday party scene has to be seen to be believed.

ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 10:54 PM   #29985
risingstar
Jedi Order

Madame Web - 2/10
My curiosity get the better of me. It's actually worse than people are saying. When will these studios get it?
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 10:58 PM   #29986
IcedDog
Frozen Pooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
Madame Web - 2/10
My curiosity get the better of me. It's actually worse than people are saying. When will these studios get it?
Man, now I'm eager to watch this just for sh!ts and giggles. Well, that and the pretty "scenery"
IcedDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 08:27 AM   #29987
jeremydmc
Black Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
Madame Web - 2/10
I tried watching it the other day. I got maybe 10 minutes in before I turned it off. I might give it another chance one day when I have absolutely nothing else to do or watch.
jeremydmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 11:15 AM   #29988
nearmint
Phoenix

Quote:
Immaculate - 8/10

"The film follows a young woman (Sydney Sweeney) of devout faith, who is invited to reside at a picture-perfect Italian convent, but slowly realizes that the convent harbors terrifying secrets."

Very well acted slow burn, but extremely gruesome and creepy. Highly recommended if you are into these types of horror films.
We had a scheduled power outage at our house last night starting at 9pm, so my son and I saw a 10pm showing. Interesting film, and even more interesting as I think about it this morning. It has very timely themes of bodily autonomy.
nearmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 12:50 PM   #29989
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

Quote:
We had a scheduled power outage at our house last night starting at 9pm, so my son and I saw a 10pm showing. Interesting film, and even more interesting as I think about it this morning. It has very timely themes of bodily autonomy.
I thought it was very well done. Like I said, slower burn, but still very engrossing.
NorthernLadMSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 09:30 PM   #29990
MKS
Nightwing

It seems like my hope of ?hey, maybe I will like it? is pretty unlikely. I am going to give it a shot. Is it another example of bad writing like The Marvels?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremydmc View Post
I tried watching it the other day. I got maybe 10 minutes in before I turned it off. I might give it another chance one day when I have absolutely nothing else to do or watch.
MKS is offline   Reply With Quote