Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 07-26-2015, 10:40 PM   #1
Wizard
Justice League

Addiction - Will it Ever End?

So, I've been in this hobby (or madness) for one year. My infatuation began at a 2014 comic-con in the Washington, DC area. The level of artistry and detail in the pieces left me in a state of - what have I been missing? I now laugh at the remembrance of me offering a dealer $300 for the Sideshow Premium Format Batman. I didn't buy that day at the comic-con, but that Batman would be my first piece.

Since then, I have gravitated toward the 1/4 format statues. I currently have 13 1/4s and 3 1/6s and one 1/3. I love them all but my "prized" ones are Sideshow's Conan Fury of the Beast, Enterbay's GOD Bruce Lee, and XM's Captain America.

My reasoning for posting is curiosity. What was the statue that started you out on this love craziness? And, how long is it after opening a new purchase, that you seriously entertain buying your next piece. I picked up the Kotobukiya Brown Wolverine last month in June. I found myself less than 24 hours later sifting through Ebay postings. Arggh!

Is there any escape from this hobby?! I love it, but I would need about $100K to obtain everything I want. That ain't happening. And I spend far too much time on this forum. I don't post, as you can see by my single digit postings, but I feel as though I "know" quite a few folks on here by their temperaments and observations.

Thanks for the time fellow crazies.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 12:24 AM   #2
JorgeLoyo
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

I gut started a little over 2 years ago. Browing a gaming page found a picture of SS Ben Kenoby (mythos line)...There was no turning. Already had a F4F Link statue, but that was an isolated purchase from years ago and I didn't knew this kind of things existed!

I Probably have over 25 1/4 statues, 10 1/5 statues and a couple of odd scale ones...what troubles me the most is my PO list. I seriously believe there's no end to this addiction lol, only a "major life event" would be able to get me out.

Good luck, and enjoy collecting brother!
JorgeLoyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 12:54 AM   #3
CessnaDriver
Suicide Squad

Welllllllllllll........

I started with the Bowen Sandman Death statue in 1993.
Statues were not very common and slowly this hobby exploded and tons of high end stuff now and thankfully my paygrade has gone up too. LOL
It's all about passion for the characters and art and artists that captures them. There's just no stopping that. Collect at your pace, be patient and wait and decide on statues when money is limited.
There will be that must have piece that overrides all others. Let that speak to you and it's easier to pass on others.
CessnaDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 01:46 AM   #4
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

My story is remarkably similar...

I was in NYC sightseeing in 1999, and happened upon the now pretty famous Midtown Comics. I saw an Attakus Spider-man on Gargoyle statue, and thought it was the coolest representation of him I had seen. My buddy got the regular and I got the variant. It seemed a fitting souvenir, being that Spidey is from NYC.

Years pass and I'm browsing the internet for Gladiator (Kallark), one of my absolute favorites, and I happen upon images of a statue by Bowen, and I was blown away. I had to have it. That's what really got me into the actual statue hobby.

About a year after that, I discovered a company called PCS doing Street Fighter statues. Like many, Street Fighter has been a constant, defining part of my life since it released. I think about my PCS pre-orders (er, statues - haha; inside joke!) frequently. The older I get, the less I play, but the statues will always remind me.
ZenLogikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 10:15 AM   #5
Vader
Ghost

nope. wish it would. i've been trying to get out of this hobby for years. No self control.
Vader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 10:41 AM   #6
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

I have been in this hobby since Bowen Designs started up. Was asked to be a moderator for Bowen's forum when it started until it imploded. Been collecting comics, Bowen, DC, Gentle Giant, PCS, Sideshow, Hallmark, action figures, diecast cars since I can't remember when. Don't really want the addiction to end as it's fun and what I get enjoyment out of.
Old 07-27-2015, 11:16 AM   #7
VaultMan
Advanced Tweet Mechanic
Adamantium Member

Ive been reading comics since I was a kid, and Avengers 162 was the first comic book I can remember that literally blew my mind. After that, I was hooked on comics and bought more and more, but mostly a Marvel guy. Used to watch the old Marvel Superheroes cartoons on TV when I was a kid (the ones taken directly from the comic pages which was pretty cool - like watching animated Jack Kirby cartoons! )

Anyway, fast forward to 2000 when I see the Bowen Vision mini bust. Always been a favorite of mine, so I buy it and put it next to my computer at home. Sometime later, same comic shop, I see the Bowen Doctor Doom statue - I get that too...and its all downhill from there

As the industry has grown, so has my collecting - though its mostly statues and Batmobiles and a lot of LEGO
VaultMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 12:35 PM   #8
travis
A.I.M.

Bowen Batman started it...SSW LOTR gave the heroin type addiction to it
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 12:39 PM   #9
adee
Green Arrow

10 plus years and no end in sight for me. Granted I don't collect at the rate many other members do but I think that's what keeps me from burning out.
adee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 12:56 PM   #10
Matches Malone
Bub Mod

1992's Graffiti Designs Robin started a lifelong obsessing with higher end Batman collectables. This blasted place goaded me into an office full of Marvel pieces and art prints.
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote