Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 11-07-2020, 12:28 AM   #1
iceprince_x
Deadman

What is with Ebay's Excessive Fees on Shipment and Import Fees

What is wrong with Ebay lately?

It seems that their shipping fees and import charges are goofing off!

I won something that I really wanted for a long time with an agreeable price and shipping but when I was about to check out the shipping fee went higher and added an import fee nearly $100 far too much from someone ordering from Sideshow and XM studios directly.

I had 4 items ordered from them as of last month and only with 1 item having fluctuating problems that I need to bow down from buying the item.

What is their basis for fluctuating shipment and import charges? Mind you, my country also will charge me 20% of the value of the item together with shipment cost.

I am already losing interest in using Ebay and will just rely on FB or with local collectors.
iceprince_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 02:36 AM   #2
ukshaun
Hercules

100% agree.
High shipping costs, plus high import fee. The normal import fee US - UK is 20% (which is a rip off) but ebay fee's amount to being charged 30% or more! To add to insult of high shipping + high import fee's is the service they opt for is very very slow!
My rule is, never buy from a US seller who uses the Ebay Global Shipping Program.

I did break the rule recently with a piece from Electric Tiki. I knew the piece was small, so breakage was unlikely. Since the price was good, it helped make up for the high shipping/import fees.
ukshaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 02:48 AM   #3
iceprince_x
Deadman

I agree. The Ebay Global Shipping Program doesn't really add value in the shipping. I only buy with buyers under this program if the price is really good and the add-on is not really that expensive.

I am just kicking myself for losing out again on the item, been on the hunt a decade, because the shipment is really a kicker.
Old 11-07-2020, 04:37 AM   #4
built2shred
Phoenix

Shipping has gone crazy, the majority of the stuff I've sold has been to people in my own state since shipping is still reasonable but if you have to ship from west coast to east cost the shipping goes through the roof...
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 01:51 PM   #5
actionjackson83
Midnighter

shipping west coast to east cost last year cost me $35-40 for a large prime 1 box, now... it's $100 and i put in listings for $60 thinking it wasn't that much -___-
actionjackson83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 07:41 PM   #6
nameivom
The Herculoids

Not many people understand eBay GSP. I do a bit of business on eBay so let me explain.

eBay GSP is a third party shipper internal to eBay. Sellers who use it package the item and send it to their Kentucky facility domestically. Seller pays for domestic shipping. The eBay Kentucky facility receives the package.

At this exact point if the item is not damaged the seller is no longer on the hook for any issues. The selling point from eBay to sellers. However this comes at a cost to the buyer.

eBay then opens the seller's package to verify what is inside is what was sold on the listing. They then repackage and fill out all customs forms. Then they add their packaging fee onto the shipping cost and send it out, just like any other third party shipper for which we have many here in the states. UPS store, FedEx Kinko, any packaging and printing store will do this, of course for an additional fee for supplies and packing.

The negative is yes it is much more costly to buyers as opposed to having the sellers ship it direct where the buyer can ask the seller to fudge the merchandise cost to save them on fees. Many eBay sellers offer direct shipment along with eBay GSP. And make no mistake, sellers are who keeps eBay afloat. Most charges are put onto sellers in fees, store subscriptions, insertion listing fees, final value fees, final value fees on shipping costs etc. I average $200-$300 a month in fees to eBay for my store. Think about that for a minute.

The end of the day you can make a decision to purchase or not. In the case of an item that is limited and maybe never offered in your country again you have to make the decision. Complaining about shipping price may relieve some stress but it gets you no where. Shipping costs are what they are period. They are not going down ever.
nameivom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 11:36 PM   #7
clutch
Sailor Moon

Ebay fees are ridiculous. They hit you on shipping too. Then they hit you on paypal. I avoid it whenever possible. I'm looking to lose money now because I reluctantly agreed to sell something overseas and it is held up in customs. It is a resin statue stuffed with paper towels and I bet they think its drugs or something. If they destroy it opening it, I guarantee the seller will want a refund and I will not have a leg to stand on.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 01:18 AM   #8
iceprince_x
Deadman

I don’t mind the GSP or Tax Import if it was given ahead of time before I even gave my Best Offer and won the item. Ebay’s problem is they gave you the additional fee after you won the item. On a buyer-bidder especially if there is Best Offer, shipment and other costs are always considered.
This one really threw me off the bus as shipment is $66 already then import taxes is set at $77 then I will be charged around $100 in my country’s taxes. Item is only $220.