Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 11-04-2020, 08:13 AM   #31
eternalblue02
What's another word for Thesaurus?

I started collecting in 2014 with P1 ROTF Megatron. Just happened upon it, never knew this hobby was a thing. I had planned on just getting Megatron then a few days later I had F4F’s Eggman on preorder and Metal Sonic in transit. I’ve had a lot of pieces in a lot of scales. I buy and sell a lot, many out of impulse and expendable income. I’ve slowed down over the last couple years and my full steam is coming to a crawl. Between prices, room, resale (not $ but me being lazy having to box stuff) I have more fun seeing what the peeps are getting here. I post less now and ghost more often. I tend to change hobby’s quiet often, now onto arcade cabinets.

I will continue to focus on Transformers, Mega Man, Castlevania, Resident Evil and Metal Gear and continue to share pictures for those on the fence but the impulse buys are in the rear view.
eternalblue02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 09:06 AM   #32
Wizard
Justice League

Five years later, I’m still all in on statue collecting. My collection is now much more targeted, which I believe is the only way to maintain sanity in a world of great looking statues being produced. The DC Trinity and Bruce Lee is pretty much now my collection. The only one-off is the QS Black Panther bust. And, I’m internally debating on the IS Bruce Lee bust. Never thought I would consider dropping $3k on a piece.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 09:36 AM   #33
TheStig88
The X-Men

Nothing is forever, though I don't seen an ending in sight for me. It's waxed and waned over the years, but I've never totally gotten out. There's been months with absolutely nothing of interest where I thought I might just be free, only for companies to dump a bucket of ice water on my head. Thankfully, by and large, it's been the smaller scale PVC companies from Japan that have held my interest. However, slowly but surely, the larger scale polystone companies seem to be homing in on my interests which is... not great lmao.

That said, 2015?! Holy necro Batman.
TheStig88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 09:56 AM   #34
worstgamerever
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARD View Post
It will end when something else in your life becomes more important.
I'll revise this by saying when you have more pressing concerns. When my dog had surgery, I sold every single statue I had to allow him more space around the house. I even moved to a bigger and more spacious space for the same reason. I did not think about statues for a couple years or so, because I was not willing to spare even a single besta, desk or table at his expense.

Similarly, I would say that if you have truly pressing concerns: jail, surgery - things like that. There simply won't be any space or viability for a statue addiction.
worstgamerever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 10:44 AM   #35
extracomputer.1
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Ones I am interested in are just coming out to sporadically and slow for me. I will be out in next 2 years or sooner. Have even started doing different scales and pvc just to finish collections.
extracomputer.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 10:54 AM   #36
jeremydmc
Black Panther

Started buying statues around 2000, 20 years later I am still buying but not like I used to. I have sold off a ton of stuff that was boxed up and rarely displayed. I still have more to sell off. I have become more focused with my collection and don't jump at the shiny new thing like I used to. I have also lost my completionist attitude for a line. Prices have really stopped that for me as well as space. I'm pretty much all in, so far, on the Tweeterhead 1:6 line until they make something I do not care for. Other than that anything Supergirl related I always have to ponder if I want it or not since I have so many of her already.

There have been some pretty impressive pieces that have been released the last couple years that I would have jumped on without a moments thought if prices were the same as a few years ago. Shipping costs rising and now paying taxes on online orders has really put a damper on purchasing anything that is not to my mind a home run of a statue.
jeremydmc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 11:23 AM   #37
ukshaun
Hercules

Started collecting 1/4 scale statues around 5 or 6 years ago. Once the 1st statue arrived, i should have stopped. The urge to own a 2nd piece got the better of me. Before i knew it, two became three, became four, became.. i lost count. 30 going on 40, possibly 40+ if i include the four 1/3 scale pieces. It got out of hand. The addiction took over. Buying new cloths took a hit. I took a leaf out of Mr. X's book, and picked up a pair of clippers to cut my own hair, money/time saved going to the barbers. I avoided the Spam route, although Noodle's payed a key part.

2020 and COVID-19 was a wake-up call. The plan, which i (almost) stuck too involved paying off all pre_orders and placing no new pre_orders. My will power cracked when the Prime 1 Zatanna went up for pre_order. My will power broke two more times when Hot Toys offered 2x Wonder Woman figures. Compared to previous years, i have done well to ease off this increasingly expensive hobby. I can ssee me picking up the Tweeterhead Catwoman though. There are a bunch of Sideshow pieces i want but applied #restraint

My bank balance is looking the healthiest it has looked in past 6 years. The pre_order black-clouds that loomed have all but cleared. Once COVID-19 is out the way, i can see new cloths, sunny holiday(s) heading my way in 2021

I'll let you into a Secret: I very nearly destroyed all my 2020 hard work, and pre_order a 1/2 scale piece - the Prime 1 piece, Sam Porter Bridges, on offer at Sideshow Collectibles for $2,799. Reality kicked in - the size, the cost, the shipping, the import fee. Crazy!
ukshaun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 11:41 AM   #38
mmk123
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

I definitely have become much more selective with my buying of statues (and comics for that matter). In a way I am kind of glad that Bowen is not producing statues because my spending would probably be way more. Also, like others here, going through my statues and selling some off.
mmk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 12:01 PM   #39
jeremydmc
Black Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukshaun View Post
I'll let you into a Secret: I very nearly destroyed all my 2020 hard work, and pre_order a 1/2 scale piece - the Prime 1 piece, Sam Porter Bridges, on offer at Sideshow Collectibles for $2,799. Reality kicked in - the size, the cost, the shipping, the import fee. Crazy!
I have been tempted in a couple instances now to get one of the 1:1 busts offered by Queen and Infinity. Adding to cart is easy. It's the 3-4K+ checkout price that keeps stopping me. LOL
jeremydmc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 12:16 PM   #40
ukshaun
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremydmc View Post
I have been tempted in a couple instances now to get one of the 1:1 busts offered by Queen and Infinity. Adding to cart is easy. It's the 3-4K+ checkout price that keeps stopping me. LOL
That is a lot of money. You would have to be a massive fan of the character to consider paying those prices, or just rich.
I would like to know how many diamond dust art prints Sideshow have sold for $4000.00 ?
ukshaun is online now   Reply With Quote