Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 11-15-2016, 06:32 PM   #601
Demona
Martian Manhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-a-tron View Post
I'm in agreement with you. As much as I want a Sideshow Thanos, because I think their sculpt will be insane, I can't do $800-$1000 for him. It's just not going to happen. And I think that's where this is headed.
Mark my words -- he will be way over $800. Your end of the range MIGHT be right.

Either way, it's nuts. There is zero justification I can find for it unless they are putting real gemstones in gauntlets.
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 06:36 PM   #602
COI

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones View Post
We think alike, I've been saying this up and down. Well I've since stopped because my goodness did people flame me because how dare I point out that people flip their statues for that new thing.
Yeah, it's not a popular sentiment, because it implies that people are over-spending. I think most collectors do buy a lot and depend on being able to sell later; I mean it's human nature to try to get as much as you can and justify it. Back in the day, you could order any SS exclusive and be about 95% certain that you could flip it later for a profit if you didn't want it. Also, no NRD helped. It's sort of that way with PCS exclusives still, which is why you see people go nuts on pre-order day in the PCS section.

I know where people are coming from because I collected by over-extending myself for years (not statues, art). I left statues to collect original art, then came back to statues when prices for art got so high that it was impossible for me to collect "casually" and not worry about value.
COI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 06:53 PM   #603
MrJones
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

I guess maybe that is where my disconnect is. I started collecting 3-4 years ago and never even considered selling anything for a couple years. Then figured I'd sell a couple to better focus my collection but not as a means of funding other statues. So by the time I started selling off some pieces, the days of always making a profit I guess were gone. I only buy something if going in I am prepared to take a loss on it worst case.
MrJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 07:06 PM   #604
COI

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones View Post
I guess maybe that is where my disconnect is. I started collecting 3-4 years ago and never even considered selling anything for a couple years. Then figured I'd sell a couple to better focus my collection but not as a means of funding other statues. So by the time I started selling off some pieces, the days of always making a profit I guess were gone. I only buy something if going in I am prepared to take a loss on it worst case.
I think it's the better way to approach it. We do so many things where we'll never see the money again (go out to dinner, go on vacations, various entertainment) so even selling at a slight loss, you still recoup most of what you paid. You can't say that for dinners and vacations and golf.

But I also get where people are coming from, because collectibles appreciating in value has become inextricable from collecting itself for most people, and this is largely because of the internet where collectors could sell their own stuff. I remember being like 11 or 12 and saving up to drop $60 on a first appearance of Venom because I wanted it. Resale wasn't even a consideration and even if it was, I couldn't get back what I spent because I wasn't a dealer. Now people spend $1000 on the first appearance of Venom based on the assumption that they can sell it for more later on the internet. The price for all of these collectibles are inflated by the perception of liquidity. It is what it is.

This is part of the problem with price increases. If SS goes to far and doesn't leave some after-market value, a portion of their customer base will just say 'nope'.
COI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 10:39 PM   #605
SONICobra
Batman

im going the same route as jones, really narrowing the focus of my collection. i sold all the pieces i had for one line, now my collection is more streamlined and i have less potential things to worry about wanting to order or not. grouping my statues in genres - if it doesnt fit, doesnt get ordered. sign of the times, i have to pass on a lot of really great stuff but cant have it all
SONICobra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 10:16 AM   #606
adee
Green Arrow

Same, I created a theme and sticking to it. Anything I want that doesn't fit I collect vicariously through you guys.

...Thanos fits, please be gentle SS
adee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 11:21 AM   #607
MrJones
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Quote:
Originally Posted by COI View Post
I think it's the better way to approach it. We do so many things where we'll never see the money again (go out to dinner, go on vacations, various entertainment) so even selling at a slight loss, you still recoup most of what you paid. You can't say that for dinners and vacations and golf.

The price for all of these collectibles are inflated by the perception of liquidity. It is what it is.

This is part of the problem with price increases. If SS goes to far and doesn't leave some after-market value, a portion of their customer base will just say 'nope'.
Again we think alike. Except my comparison was to that of a TV. I was just saying that if you bought a TV for 2000, even in a year if you wanted to sell it you might get like 20% back. Statues you can usually break even or even get 75% back which is still great as far as any sort of purchase goes. As far as SS prices, I'll be very interested to see if or how pricing affects future prices, edition sizes, sales etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONICobra View Post
im going the same route as jones, really narrowing the focus of my collection. i sold all the pieces i had for one line, now my collection is more streamlined and i have less potential things to worry about wanting to order or not. grouping my statues in genres - if it doesnt fit, doesnt get ordered. sign of the times, i have to pass on a lot of really great stuff but cant have it all
It's not always easy either. I sold one of my favourite statues in order to stay diligent in focusing my collection. I'll never buy him again either but unless you have money coming out the a$$ you need to make tough choices sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adee View Post
Same, I created a theme and sticking to it. Anything I want that doesn't fit I collect vicariously through you guys.

Same here. My collection theme is essentially a Thanos shrine with other cosmic characters floating around. So a big 1/4 Thanos on Throne pretty much needs to happen. So much so that I am preparing myself that this may be the last statue I buy for quite some time. I've even decided to not purchase Bane. I was going to get Bane because I think he is quite literally the perfect Bane statue but with how much prices are increasing I just need to focus on putting money aside for the crippling blow of Thanos.
MrJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 06:25 AM   #608
One Above All
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

I believe this Thanos on Throne statue should have been painted by now
One Above All is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 06:56 AM   #609
k-9
I was arrested for selling illegal-sized paper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adee View Post

KY
k-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 09:31 AM   #610
SolidLiquidFox
Savage Dragon

K-9 suggesting KY...meta!
SolidLiquidFox is offline   Reply With Quote