Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 10-12-2021, 08:05 PM   #11
MrYac
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post

Augen, you're there seems to be a lot of Daddy drama and I think you missed two - Rebecca had her own issues with her now dead Dad. Also, didn't Roy's father leave him when he was very young?
while i felt for Rebecca having such a bad experience with her dad, i thought the idea to splice her story of her daddy diddling the neighbor with Ted coming home from school to have his dad blow his damn brains out a REALLY odd choice. and i don't really recall Roy mentioning his dad, he talked about the death of his grandfather though.

Quote:
BTW the girl who plays Phoebe is fantastic. Any scene with her and Brent (Roy) I just know will be gold.
it's a shame kid actors grow so fast, she's probably going to be a foot taller by next season and need to be recast
MrYac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 07:49 AM   #12
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augen View Post
I think Nate's self image has been one based on negative self loathing and sense of smallness. He was the victim of bullying and dealt with a father that never approved of him. People didn't even know his name, he was invisible and would have remained down likely his whole life isolated.
Then Ted Lasso shows up and gives Nate something, hope. He learns his name, lifts him up and sees the potential in him. Nate develops confidence, and in doing so comes to resent his past self. He spits at the mirror seeing his own reflection as disgusting and something to overcome. He becomes a bully himself when given authority over others. Conflicted with himself Nate tried to break free and finds he isn't taken seriously as a threat to Roy that way Jamie is.
Nate hates this, he hates the fact that he sees himself and how others see him. In his anger he blames Ted. It was easy before, he wasn't happy, but he knew his place, but now he is filled with bitterness. To take a line from the show "it's the hope that kills you".

I don't think Nate's journey is close to being over and how his layers will be revealed in S3 and beyond. In hindsight the entire arc will hopefully make more sense to people.
Great write-up! While it may have been a little quick, I could follow his path this season. It definitely showed his lack of faith and confidence in himself. It was never about Ted but rather himself. Look at the scene when Ted announces Roy Kent is joining the team as a coach. Nate looks completely crushed. It was subtle but it was there.

I agree the first two episodes were a bit off but it got itself righted again after that.
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 02:25 PM   #13
MrYac
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefixit2 View Post

I agree the first two episodes were a bit off but it got itself righted again after that.
it annoys me we had never seen that dang dog before, also i think Danny picking the new one would've closed out that odd little storyline better than it just going away.
Old 10-14-2021, 10:05 AM   #14
jeremydmc
S.H.I.E.L.D.

Just finished Season 1. Absolutely loved it. The very last scene I laughed so hard I had tears in my eyes. I'll start season 2 later. Not going to read any posts in here until I finish season 2 to not get spoiled. So glad your recommendations got me to watch this amazing show.
jeremydmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 10:38 AM   #15
jeremydmc
S.H.I.E.L.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefixit2 View Post
Great write-up! While it may have been a little quick, I could follow his path this season. It definitely showed his lack of faith and confidence in himself. It was never about Ted but rather himself. Look at the scene when Ted announces Roy Kent is joining the team as a coach. Nate looks completely crushed. It was subtle but it was there.

Just finished season 2 and read through all the posts here.

I agree with everything said so far except nate's change coming out of left field. Just seeing all of these episodes the last few days I have to say there were several moments where Nate showed pain and some confusion toward Ted. His father figure was no longer heaping compliments on him and boosting his ego.

As joefixit mentioned when Ted hired Roy there was a shift in his emotions. Another when Ted gave Roy an excited hug after a goal was scored. I was not surprised at all by Nate and his disdain for Ted at the end. It was subtle but it was there in a few scenes here and there where you could see the love and admiration for Ted was turning into jealousy and anger.

Terrific season. I liked it just as much as the first. The Christmas episode was one of the best 42ish minutes of TV ever done. IMHO.

I appreciate you all talking so highly about it and getting me to give it a shot.
Old 10-19-2021, 11:52 AM   #16
MrYac
Hercules

I think the season started off a bit too sitcomish (Danny killing the beloved team mascot whom we have never seen nor heard of before was straight out of a 90’s TGIF episode) but it recovered nicely .
Old 10-19-2021, 01:53 PM   #17
Demona
Martian Manhunter

I did give them credit for carrying that whole theme through til the end though. Football is Life!!

So glad you loved it too, Jeremy. We may have also gotten Northern to watch it soon I am going to be giving it a second viewing with my best friend in a couple of weeks. It will be nice to see how it holds up (I'm sure great) binging both seasons again. I can't wait til the Christmas episode again because I laughed so hard I was crying when they smelled her breath.
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 02:03 PM   #18
jeremydmc
S.H.I.E.L.D.

Quote:
I did give them credit for carrying that whole theme through til the end though. Football is Life!!

So glad you loved it too, Jeremy. We may have also gotten Northern to watch it soon I am going to be giving it a second viewing with my best friend in a couple of weeks. It will be nice to see how it holds up (I'm sure great) binging both seasons again. I can't wait til the Christmas episode again because I laughed so hard I was crying when they smelled her breath.
I'm planning to watch them all again over the holidays with my girlfriend. She heard me laughing really hard during the Christmas episode and came in to watch and I told her to get out because she would be lost. It has to be her idea to watch them...me talking about how good it is would never convince her. I'm stoked to watch them again and see if I notice any more Natisms......
Old 10-21-2021, 02:16 AM   #19
MrYac
Hercules

Quote:
i do kinda wish he actually picked the new pup, would've been a good closure to that little bit.
Old 06-09-2023, 01:43 AM   #20
MrYac
Hercules

i just got around to watching the season last week, was curious what you fine folks thought of the finale. overall i liked it, dragged a bit with way too much time on Keely and her rather pointless work story and frankly not enough Ted, but enjoyed it more than i didn't so all in all a fantastic series.