Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 09-23-2021, 04:33 PM   #1
eternalblue02
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Spec Fiction Shipping Woes

Hey gang, got a newsletter from Todd at Spec Fiction outlining what he's been going through with shipping this past year. Just leaving this here because a lot of folks may not be subscribed to his newsletter but may want to read it. I'll post it in the P1 & XM discussion threads as well. What a time we live in...

Hey everyone,

Thank you so much for your ongoing support of Spec Fiction. As you may know, this year has proven quite difficult in regards to shipping and I just wanted to thank you for your patience and understanding. So, I wanted to take the time to sort of explain the situation so you can better understand how horrible this situation is. If you don’t want to read my rant and all the reasons for the delays then skip to the bottom where I summarize where your statues are!

Starting in April 2021, we had over 4 containers worth of goods in china ready for shipment, but there was a huge problem: there were no containers to ship them in. This was the beginning of what is essentially a global breakdown of sea transportation services. This in turn affects all other facets of shipping and receiving as well, which has led to extremely long wait times and a massive rise in transportation costs in general.

Starting in April, we waited each month to try and get a booking to bring over the goods in China and we literally couldn’t get one until July 2021. Meanwhile, things in china were getting released, so our 4 containers worth of goods was growing every month. By July we were around 6 containers full. To put that into perspective, a container can hold anywhere from 300 - 600 packages depending on size. So, finally, in July, we got a booking for 3 containers, and then in August, we were able to book the rest. Yay finally got them in transit! Our problems are over now, right? Wrong!

There is also a massive backlog of container ships at the Long Beach port in California. Once the goods arrive at said port, we have to do even more waiting! Woo! So, once they actually get unloaded we still aren’t technically out of the woods. The next step is customs clearance. Generally, the goods clear somewhat quickly but if there are any issues then the nightmare gets even worse. However, for the sake of time, I will spare you the customs nonsense for another email. OK, so customs clearance goes smooth. The container is now ready to be picked up! Yes! Home free! NO. Guess what, there is also a shortage of trucks and truckers to transport the goods from port to our warehouse because demand is so crazy high!

LONG STORY SHORT. We got 6 containers in a 2 week time period. Around 1800 Boxes. The warehouse is unloading and putting your statues away as fast as they can but needless to say they are SWAMPED. The good news is, your statues will be shipping soon! The bad news is that it's gonna require a bit more patience and waiting. We are almost there though, and again, I really do appreciate your understanding in regards to this crazy matter. Many of you have reached out and offered some very nice words, so thanks very much for that. As always, if you have any more questions, please feel free to reply directly to this email. Thanks! newsletter@specfictionshop.com

-Todd
eternalblue02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 04:43 PM   #2
Augen
The Hulk

I appreciate the transparency. I figured take into 2022 to hopefully get this mess sorted. Break downs in chains cause all these knock on issues so end with months of delays.
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 05:06 PM   #3
eternalblue02
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augen View Post
I appreciate the transparency. I figured take into 2022 to hopefully get this mess sorted. Break downs in chains cause all these knock on issues so end with months of delays.
Absolutely. Its a mess everywhere, at least he's being honest about it. My mother works at a plant that makes the electrical boxes for the lighting on our US subs and carriers. She's beyond retirement age. With all the parts shortages, lack of trucks and back up at the ports, she's actively thinking of retiring finally at the end of the year, it's that bad.

More closer to home. F4F sent me my China to US shipping update in April for their Dracula piece. It normally takes about 2 months then about 2 weeks for full delivery. I will finally have Dracula next week.
eternalblue02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 01:32 AM   #4
Marcel54
Hellboy

Just to add to the information. The cost of a container has risen tenfold. Before covid-19 a container rent was about $1,400 and currently it is somewhere between $13 and $15,000.
Marcel54 is offline   Reply With Quote