Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 01-23-2022, 03:24 AM   #1
DevGuy
The Spirit

Collect 1/6 or 1/4 Scale?

I'm fairly new to statue collecting but have collected "stuff" all my life (MtG, Lego, comics, cards, miniatures etc).

So far I have the four Sideshow Turtles 1/6, Prime 1 Batman Hush 1/3, Iron Studios (Ivan Reis) Joker 1/3, Iron Studios Fell Beast and Prime 1's Balrog vs Gandalf. I've also preordered Tweeterhead's Superman 2.0 1/6.

I find the 1/3 statues to be rather amazing but simply too difficult to display.

So my question is -- should I go with 1/6 or 1/4 as my primary scale? I'm ok to get the odd large piece here and there, such as what I have already, but for my main collection I think the same scale will look more cohesive.

Which is the more popular format out of 1/6 and 1/4? SideShow seem to do a lot of "premium format" which I believe is 1/4. Tweeterhead do 1/6, but just announced that WW would come in both 1/6 and 1/4. Popularity matters because an unpopular scale will mean less choice.

Thanks.
DevGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 03:35 AM   #2
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Personally, I don't see any sense in collecting based on scale.

When you factor in things like pose, base design, etc.....you'll see massive variation in overall footprint and space requirements for each statue. This isn't like GamesWorkshop miniatures

My advice:

1. Stay flexible.
2. Buy what you like, but buy quality over quantity.
3. A well appointed collection with a well thought out display will ALWAYS trump a row of statues all the same size and height.
Silas Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 05:54 AM   #3
BigMo
Brotherhood of Evil Mutants

I see a ton of collectors starting with 1/6 scale hot toys then going to 1/4 scale or bigger. I did the same and prefer the "art" of 1/4 scale. So you could skip that process of upgrading and just go straight to 1/4 scale collecting.
Not dissing Hot Toys or 1/6 scale, there are some incredible pieces in that scale and a lot of great collectors out there in that scale. In fact I just ordered the 1/6 Boba in throne piece as I'm loving Book of Boba, so I'm still buying the odd piece that I love.
Collect what you love.
BigMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 06:20 AM   #4
Exorcist
Hydra

Thumbs up

1:3 scale IMHO
Exorcist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 08:51 AM   #5
Asgard
Deadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Loki View Post
1. Stay flexible.
2. Buy what you like, but buy quality over quantity.
3. A well appointed collection with a well thought out display will ALWAYS trump a row of statues all the same size and height.
Asgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 10:01 AM   #6
KiDD
Birdman

While I feel like 1/4 is the go-to scle for most collector's the 1/6 market is growing all the time (XM, Tweeterhead etc.) so you can't really go wrong with either one.

I personally prefer 1/6 pieces because of the lower cost and the smaller footprint - means that I get to have more pieces in the limited space that I have for collecting.
KiDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 10:02 AM   #7
NYC Joker
A day without sunshine is like... night.

1:3 tends to be my favorite.
NYC Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 11:00 AM   #8
mmk123
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

Even though I moved a few years ago to a new place that is twice the size of my old apt and have more room, I prefer the 1/6th scale. For my taste, the size of the DC Tweeterhead statue is the perfect size for me. And another reason why I prefer the 1/6 scale is the cost also.

Now my LCBS purchase about 6 Sideshow statues from a customer and I was not aware how huge those boxes are. I know that they got an Iron Man one and a Rogue one and I was astonished over the size of those boxes. I have end table in my bedroom and living room that are smaller than those. I can see why collectors have a problem storing those.
mmk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 11:36 AM   #9
eternalblue02
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Depending on room start with 1/4 and only go 1/3 or higher on must have pieces for your collection. Add a few smaller scales to fill in gaps. Don’t worry about scale but do not bog yourself down with buying everything. Most beginners including myself when I was one get into trouble thinking they have to have everything because there is such a huge selection out there to start with. Do not fall into that trap and focus on where you put your statues and the room you are given. You can’t have everything.
eternalblue02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 01:19 PM   #10
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Started with 1/6 and selectively got into 1/4. But 1/6 is still my favorite. With 75 of my favorite Marvel characters on one wall it just makes a great display. With Tweeterhead doing 1/6 DC my focus is back on 1/6. It would have to be a special character to get me to drop coin on a 1/4 and I?d have to have the space for it.