Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Sports

Old 08-19-2007, 11:20 PM   #11
cma3
Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change

i know he's, and i am sure posh more than he, have always wanted to live in the states. Cmon, thier kid's name is Brooklyn. But I still find it hard to believe that he simply left the, arguably, best soccer team on earth. I am pretty sure it wasnt for the money...there is an ulterior motive somewhere.

Nevertheless, bring it on. Some of the Brazilians need to jump on the bandwagon as well.
cma3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 05:59 AM   #12
Justin
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by rilynil View Post
Beckham gets a big yawn from me. So does soccer.
I disagree on the game of Soccer itself but agree 100% on Beckham. IMO he is one of the most overrated sportsman of all time. He is great over a dead ball but that’s just about it. The rest of his game is poor most of the time, He has a great publicist
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 11:03 AM   #13
Zurbaran1
Mod Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANGRYCOMICMAN View Post
I know 90% of the forum members could give at rats ass about Futbol (Soccer). But it was great to see 66,000 people at the Meadowlands in NJ last night. To see The NY RED BULLS vs. the LA GALAXY.
The Galaxy, if no one has heard yet aquired David Beckham this past winter for an estimated $100 million plus bonuses and extras.
I´m pretty sure that the number tossed around was more in the area of $250 million. I guess he is worth it if he brings the sport the recognition it is trying to achieve in the U.S. but as good as he might have been his better days are behind him.

Soccer is a terrific sport and it would be nice to see it established in the US on a level on par with some of the other professional sports but I´m not too confident that will ever happen. Pele and some of the other great names at the time couldn´t do it with the Cosmos way back when. I´m in Spain right now and was fortunate enough to be able to attend some of the games they played in the annual Trofeo de Carranza tournament here in Cadiz. I got to see Beckham´s former team Real Madrid as well as Betis from Sevilla and also Real Zaragoza. Saw some great soccer and some great players. We had seats right down by the field and my kids had a real thrill when some of the players came right up to us and started chatting with them. La Liga, the Spanish soccer league starts up this coming weekend and I hope to get to see another game before heading home. The stadium is only three blocks from our home. Would love to see Barcelona play as they now have Ronaldhino and Thierry Henry, talk about two fantastic soccer players. The US league should try t get either of these guys as they are easily on a different level than Beckham.
Zurbaran1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 12:18 PM   #14
JDH
Agent of H.A.M.M.E.R.
Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zurbaran1 View Post
I´m pretty sure that the number tossed around was more in the area of $250 million. I guess he is worth it if he brings the sport the recognition it is trying to achieve in the U.S. but as good as he might have been his better days are behind him.

Soccer is a terrific sport and it would be nice to see it established in the US on a level on par with some of the other professional sports but I´m not too confident that will ever happen. Pele and some of the other great names at the time couldn´t do it with the Cosmos way back when. I´m in Spain right now and was fortunate enough to be able to attend some of the games they played in the annual Trofeo de Carranza tournament here in Cadiz. I got to see Beckham´s former team Real Madrid as well as Betis from Sevilla and also Real Zaragoza. Saw some great soccer and some great players. We had seats right down by the field and my kids had a real thrill when some of the players came right up to us and started chatting with them. La Liga, the Spanish soccer league starts up this coming weekend and I hope to get to see another game before heading home. The stadium is only three blocks from our home. Would love to see Barcelona play as they now have Ronaldhino and Thierry Henry, talk about two fantastic soccer players. The US league should try t get either of these guys as they are easily on a different level than Beckham.
Wait and see on Henry. Incredible talent,yes, but I wouldn't be surprised to find that his best years were behind him too. The last couple of years at Arsenal have had increasing numbers of his 'hands on his hips in a huff' games. I look forward to seeing how Barca's star-studded frontline works in practice once the Champions League starts up again.
JDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 07:52 PM   #15
ANGRYCOMICMAN
Cobra Command

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
I disagree on the game of Soccer itself but agree 100% on Beckham. IMO he is one of the most overrated sportsman of all time. He is great over a dead ball but that’s just about it. The rest of his game is poor most of the time, He has a great publicist
It's the first time I've seen him play.
You are absolutely right about the dead ball aspect. He just sets up the plays, hardly runs. But it was great to see that many people there.
I love the game, played in college and ref'd for 20 years. But until the USA has a real home grown player it will never take off here.
ANGRYCOMICMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 08:10 PM   #16
rilynil
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANGRYCOMICMAN View Post
I love the game, played in college and ref'd for 20 years. But until the USA has a real home grown player it will never take off here.
I think you're right. Even then, I have a hard time imaging professional soccer ever being as popular in America as the NBA, NFL or Major League Baseball. I just don't think it will ever happen.

On another note, I'm proud to say that Mia Hamm is from Alabama.
rilynil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 08:44 PM   #17
ANGRYCOMICMAN
Cobra Command

Quote:
Originally Posted by rilynil View Post
I think you're right. Even then, I have a hard time imaging professional soccer ever being as popular in America as the NBA, NFL or Major League Baseball. I just don't think it will ever happen.

On another note, I'm proud to say that Mia Hamm is from Alabama.
She is great, to bad the Woman's League didn't take off.
ANGRYCOMICMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 11:32 AM   #18
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Americans need to realise Soccer is the most watched and most played field sport in the world. The fact that most countries including America play the game enables them to have a world cup every four years unlike the so called world champs of American Football, baseball etc which is only played between American teams on American soil.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 12:23 PM   #19
rilynil
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

That's very true, Bulls. And most Americans are aware of that. But I still believe, among Americans, professional soccer will never come close to the popularity of the NBA, NFL and Major League Baseball. There's nothing wrong with that. We don't have to like cricket and rugby either. :tounge:
rilynil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 01:42 PM   #20
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

I think the Americans prefer high scoring games.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote