Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 01-13-2018, 12:56 AM   #41
Mister H
Gen 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisDean View Post
To accurately reference the source material, it isn't possible to not have a lot of characters in this movie. In addition to introducing the audience to Black Panther, the nation of Wakanda has to be introduced too with the Dora Milaje and the tribal elders.

As for all the computer-generated imagery, I think that's a necessary evil with these kinds of superhero films.
Hopefully they’ve put it all together the right way.
Mister H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 02:36 PM   #42
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBamf View Post
Oh, no the wooden knives are a bit silly! Maybe I ninety nine percent disagree

Just to be clear though, totally respect your opinion not to like all that stuff. Everyone can't like the same things
And I respect both of you opinions. But, as an original reader of Tomb of Dracula when it first was published, I find the wooden knives fun and exciting, almost like Gambit’s playing cards, same with Bullseye’s cards and daggers. Stealthy and deadly tools. Not silly at all.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 02:42 PM   #43
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Knight View Post
this costume... lol

1970s comics usually don't do it for me. I rearly like the old stuff... The last disaster that i read considered great was Giant Size X-Men 1... and it was bad. Back then standards were very low. I read a blade comics that got canceled at early 2000s but that was heavly influanced with the films so i was ok. But I will never read something that looks like this... lol I sweared to myself that i won't get in to another (choose a better word next time) thing. I have enough of them in my life lol so with his green pants, red jacket and green glasses... lol and wooden knifes... only a 5 years old would think cool, he's not for me. What the hell... wooden knifes ?!?!? are you kidding me... lol why do you carve them at the shape of knifes lol.... don't regular stakes kill vampires... No, they have to be at the shape of knifes... oh man... this is so cringy... lol
Please don’t be insulting. I’m 57, not a 5 year old. The jacket’s Brown, not red. And you’re missing the point of the knives. A stake is useless in a fight. If a vampire’s sleeping in its coffin, sure, use a stake. If, as Blade often does, you’re in a street fight with a vampire, throwing knives are strategic tools. Think Bullseye’s cards, Elektra’s shurikens or sai’s. You’ve clearly never read the material you’re mocking. I get your point on the aesthetic of his outfit, and I respect your visual tastes even though I disagree, but, again, don’t be insulting and take the time to read what you’re dissing as you did with Giant-Size X-Men.

Last edited by wktf; 01-13-2018 at 06:32 PM. Reason: Correcting misspellings.
Old 01-13-2018, 02:50 PM   #44
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
I liked Stan Lee's Silver Surfer for example. But Fourth World, New Teen Titans, Uncanny X-Men and Neal Adams Batman Omnibuses that i read were all bad or medicore...(i couldn't make it to the end of them... And I'm still reading The Uncanny X-Men Omnibus vol. 1 and if it doesn't get any better soon, i will probably drop it too... it's medicore so far.) So i kind of lost hope for old stuff lol but i don't say all of them are bad. I just have low expectations.
For the record, just so you know I’m not just riding you, I agree completely with your point on Fourth World, New Teen Titans, Claremont’s Uncanny X-Men and Neal Adam’s Batman (if he’s writing).
Old 01-13-2018, 04:27 PM   #45
The Dark Knight
Jubilee

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
Please don’t be insulting. I’m 57, not a 5 year old. The jacket’s Brown, not red. And you’re missing the point of the knives. A stake is useless in a fight. If a vampire’s sleeping in its coffin, sure, use a stake. If, as Blade often does, you’re in a street fight with a vampire, throwing knives are strategic tools. Think Bullseye’s cards, Elektra’s shurimens or sai’s. You’ve clearly never read the material you’re mocking. I get your point on the aesthetic of his outfit, and I respect your visual tastes even though I disagree, but, again, don’t be insulting and take the time to read what you’re dissing as you did with Giant-Size X-Men.
I'm sorry i didn't mean to insult or anything like that... :/

But i must add carving the wood at the shape of a knife doesn't make it an actual knife....
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 04:59 PM   #46
MrYac
Hercules

Quote:

But i must add carving the wood at the shape of a knife doesn't make it an actual knife....
technically it does in fact make it so

noun, plural knives [nahyvz]

1.an instrument for cutting, consisting essentially of a thin, sharp-edged, metal blade fitted with a handle.

2.a knifelike weapon; dagger or short sword.

3. any blade for cutting, as in a tool or machine.

but give me classic wooden-knife wield blade over the boring generic black leather biker blade any and every single day of the week.
MrYac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 06:16 PM   #47
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
I'm sorry i didn't mean to insult or anything like that... :/

It doesn’t really matter what it’s called, does it, as long as it’s an effective stabbing or throwing weapon against vampires?

Last edited by wktf; 01-13-2018 at 06:30 PM.
Old 01-13-2018, 07:39 PM   #48
moon_knight1971
Rescue

Back to Black Panther, for me Marvel has a rare opportunity to really shine if the movie is done right. Minorities in movies have historically never been mega money makers for film studios. Marvel introduced BP as the 1st black super hero in the 60s so his significance is much like most Americans love Superman or Captain America to people of color. Now if Marvel can take a page out of Disney/Pixar's book and release a movie that respects the culture and still delivers a story of action that most are expecting this will be a big win for them.
moon_knight1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 07:57 PM   #49
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
I remember being a little kid back in the early 70's & was riding downtown on a bus w/ my school class for a fieldtrip. I was reading a copy of the Black Panther & he was on the cover (not sure which issue or book). Anyway, two African American guys were sitting on the row next to me when, & I remember this, one young guy said "Little man, can I see that comic you're reading?" I passed it on over & both guys, maybe in their 20's, just couldn't stop talking about it. They seemed proud of it to me then, as I'm sure they were. The guys flipped thru the pages & I remember hearing them talk about how they'd never seen a black super-hero before. They both got off after handing me back my comic & saying thank-you & I remember thinking then, in my young grade-school mind, that that was important.
Great story, Jerry.
Old 01-14-2018, 09:24 AM   #50
The Dark Knight
Jubilee

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
It doesn’t really matter what it’s called, does it, as long as it’s an effective stabbing or throwing weapon against vampires?
I haven't read the old Blade but if you want to kill a vampire with a wooden stake, you need to stab him/her at the heart. Otherwise you can't even hurt the vampire, stabbing from anywhere else has no effect on the vampire. And you don't really need to carve your stakes at the shape of knifes for that... That's just unnecessary, they won't do anymore harm to a vampire, if they are at the shape of knifes. I mean not just vampires, that's ineffective against humans too, how many Soldiers use wooden knifes ? lol that's why it's kind of silly... But if you like that, it's ok ofcourse.
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote