Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Gentle Giant

Old 11-20-2007, 06:25 PM   #31
tomandshell
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

It would be fairly easy to get a Sharpie and make my COA say #66.

tomandshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 06:29 PM   #32
KlitFisto
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Yeah, it makes me wonder how many people have done that with Promos and other unusually sought numbers/edition sizes. I know one guy just painted over the maquette's base's number and wrote "PROMO" (quotes included) in silver Sharpie. I'm pretty sure he did it a few times earlier this year.
KlitFisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 06:40 PM   #33
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Thats why I never got invested in edition #'s. They can easily be tampered with and once you have the item who pays attention to the # anyway. Its the sculpture that you're buying not a # IMO.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 06:45 PM   #34
KlitFisto

I'm sure it's been discussed hundreds of times here, but I'm with you on that, and I never understood why some people just HAVE to have a certain number (usually their birthday) or a Promo. Sure, in the case of Palpatine and the Clones, #66 would be cool, but who ever comes over to see your collection and asks "what number is that?" anyway? And once I heard that GG replaces broken busts with Promos, I laughed so hard because it totally negates the value the Promos had in my eyes.

Aren't Artist Proofs at least somewhat credible because they tend to have better paint jobs?
Old 11-20-2007, 06:54 PM   #35
Brru
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlitFisto View Post
Aren't Artist Proofs at least somewhat credible because they tend to have better paint jobs?
Also less of them I believe. The artist makes his dealio and sends it in. The company makes maybe five of it, painted and all, and send the artist maybe two. Promos are just dumb, sure there are less of them, but the entire idea of a promo is for advertising. If I go get a CD from a record company (the ones they play on the PA) is it worth more then the regular CD or less? Usually less since most of those are edited heh. But the same idea here in my mind. Its also funny as hell to know that they just hand out promos as replacements.
Brru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 07:07 PM   #36
KlitFisto

That's a really good point about promo CDs- the ones I've seen sell just the same as standard ones. And yet, some people are still willing to spend a full hundred more on a Promo bust. No offense to Mike, but his online store, Razor's Edge, does that and I don't get why.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:16 PM   #37
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Well my set arrived today. # 195/500.

Its funny the Fed-Ex guy actually made 2 separate trips to my place today. My Alien 3 Maquette was dropped off this morning and then he returned late afternoon with my Commander set. I could tell he was pissed. Probably because he had to carry that big 44lb. Alien box to my front door this morning and still return because he forgot my other package.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote