Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > DC

Old 08-10-2009, 10:15 AM   #1
mimregi
Doh!

"A DARK WINTER'S KNIGHT" Questions

I have been hunting for one of these to replace one that I lost (tragically) 7 or 8 years ago (I don't think I can rationally discuss the circumstances under which I lost it, I can just say that I was emotionally affected enough at the time that I think it offended my wife...).

Anyway, I was hoping some of you good folks could help me with a clarification or two to make sure I get the right thing.
  1. Do I remember a "mini" version of the snow globe being released some time after the original?
  2. What were the approximate dimensions of the original piece? I thought I remembered it being about about a foot tall, but it has quite possible grown in stature (and affection) in my memories...
  3. I have read a few helpful threads here about fakes or recasts -- any good tips or telltale signs that may help me avoid a scammer?

Thanks in advance!

And Mr Paquet I have seen you post here a few times, and I would like to say... damned good show. I don't have the disposable income to be a hardcore statue collector (much as I would like to be and hope to be at some point), but this is such an unbelievable piece. My wife bought it for me when it was new and we really couldn't afford -- she is far from a comic book person, but she could see how much it grabbed me, and even she was impressed with how it looked on the mantle.

Thanks so much!
mimregi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 05:51 PM   #2
The Batman Professor
Brotherhood of Evil Mutants

There is no mini.

The snowglobe is approximately 9-10" tall.

There aren't any fakes of the snowglobe, just fakes of the original sculpt which was scaled down for the globe.
The Batman Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 05:58 PM   #3
mimregi
Doh!

You're awesome, thanks so much-- exactly what I needed =)

I'm not sure what I had in my head thinking about the mini -- maybe a bowen mini-bust released at the time dug into my psyche.

Thanks for the info!
mimregi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 06:10 PM   #4
Sniper
Objectivo Bastardo

I had it for about a week but sold it bec it was more globe than sculpt. I always wanted d.C to release , congrats, this is one of the best batman piece d.c produced. too bad it was a globe. I remember W.P saying it was suppose to be a full size statue but D.C. decide to shrink it and make it a globe because it would cost too much to produce.
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 06:59 PM   #5
Matches Malone
Bub Mod

The snow globe was so freaking small. One of DCD's most inspired sculpts and they shrink it into nothingness.
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 07:33 AM   #6
William Paquet
Sculptor
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
I had it for about a week but sold it bec it was more globe than sculpt. I always wanted d.C to release , congrats, this is one of the best batman piece d.c produced. too bad it was a globe. I remember W.P saying it was suppose to be a full size statue but D.C. decide to shrink it and make it a globe because it would cost too much to produce.
I think you might be mistaking someone else's conjecture with anything I actually said, Sniper. I did try and get DC to produce the original sculpture as I made it, but they simply never did. Cost was never an issue because the original sculpture itself is small. The Batman is about six inches tall.

It is too bad it was only done as a globe because the figure is so tiny it's hard to see much.
William Paquet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 04:44 AM   #7
spider-man
Knife to the Eye

well I can say this , mr. paquet your sculpt of this statue was one of the main reasons I got into collecting . I only have the snowglobe , but it's still beautiful even a decade later.
spider-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 05:31 AM   #8
Dark_Knight_89
Statue Forum MacDaddy

does anybody have a pic of this snowglobe? sounds cool!
Dark_Knight_89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 06:39 AM   #9
Cobblepot
U talkin' to me?

It's so limited there are no pics to show.
Cobblepot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 08:40 AM   #10
Sniper
Objectivo Bastardo

I remember I hunted for this for a long time, for more than a year and a half becasue they were so expensive. It's worth it, I only wished the sculpt was larger.

I remember I saw a lot of sculpts that people made of the same scene. They never reached the level of the original sculpt. Even when I was new in collecting I always knew there was something different about all the inferior attempts to recreate WP original sculpt. I almost got scammed when a person said it was the original one and he had copies. Luckly I did alot of research and found it it was a big time lie. That would have pissed me off forever if I would have bought the fake one.
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote