Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 05-05-2024, 02:47 AM   #11
Aussiebot
The Spirit

Serves him right for trying to steal someone's IP. But he wasn't even honest in his farewell letter. He tried to make out that family was the big reason he was leaving, with a little footnote at the bottom regarding legal issues. Though I shouldn't be surprised, you can't expect honesty & integrity from a man who made his income from IP theft.
I really hope Disney go after Dynamic Menace Design (DMD) next.
Aussiebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2024, 08:52 AM   #12
testsubject25
Birds of Prey

Hot take, but MYC sculptures were 90% mid 10% awesome. What really elevated them over the past couple of years was the ships, and honestly, that wasn't really his work.

Also, Michael has a fragile ego and lashes out at people who criticize MYC's work. I don't mean troll it, I mean criticize. I guarantee you for as much as he got found out for acting like a legit company, he's been reported to Disney anti piracy for scuffles he's been in with people, buyers, etc.

I've seen at least three posts saying as much in the past year. Now, having said all of that, I do wish his family the best. One has nothing to do with the other.
testsubject25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2024, 12:33 PM   #13
qz33
Baron Zemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedDog View Post
I think Paramount might have something to say about that They didn't even allow the Axanar fan film to go forward...

On December 29, 2015, CBS and Paramount Pictures filed a copyright lawsuit seeking damages in the US District Court for the Central District of California, alleging that the Axanar works infringed their rights by making use of the Klingon language and "innumerable copyrighted elements of Star Trek, including its settings, characters, species, and themes".
A fan film is way different. That a direct threat to the revenue Paramount produces with their very own IP.

Licensors do not care about piddling gray market product until licensees begin to wail. Disney could have sent a cease & desist years ago, it doesn't cost much.
Licensors don't want to seem like bad guys but constant promotion and continual product makes it hard for them to ignore when their paying partners, their licensees, are constantly whining about unlicensed product.
qz33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2024, 01:14 PM   #14
MechWestern
Sailor Moon

To the point about the ships, I wonder if those were ultimately the downfall. Those are selling for upwards of $5,000 on Ebay and 4x more than they cost to buy for some. It's wild.
Certainly created a lot of attention for those I assume have a job of checking into that stuff.

But yeah, dude running the site like a legit business, the buzz, going on podcasts, etc. It was only a matter of time.
MechWestern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2024, 02:35 PM   #15
Xenoburger
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiebot View Post
Serves him right for trying to steal someone's IP. But he wasn't even honest in his farewell letter. He tried to make out that family was the big reason he was leaving, with a little footnote at the bottom regarding legal issues. Though I shouldn't be surprised, you can't expect honesty & integrity from a man who made his income from IP theft.
I really hope Disney go after Dynamic Menace Design (DMD) next.
Trying to steal someone's IP? Star Wars?

Calm down bro.
Xenoburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2024, 03:01 PM   #16
Masa_yodamorph
The Avengers

I highly doubt people will get their NRDs back. That sucks, but comes with the territory with customs. Always risky.

The thing that I didn’t like about MYC is how they basically copied MR ships and didn’t differentiate themselves. Also the prices were too expensive. Yes way cheaper than to buy MR stuff now, but they were gouging because they knew there were a lot of collectors who would buy. Especially the newer collectors who couldn’t get the MR stuff. MYC def took advantage of that and that was not cool. Who gives a F about the IP and Disney not making more money. If anything Master Replicas should have been the ones to cease and desist MYC.

All of these licensors/companies need to wake the F up. Customs wouldn’t exist if they made collectibles that collectors actually want to buy and not the trash they want customers to buy. Plain and simple.
Masa_yodamorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2024, 03:09 PM   #17
craigcliff1
Zot

Loved his work.
I remember when he had his Skelly, Cap and others, can't remember SW Though, but does Marvel, Mattel not care
Not just him Ant stated that Licensors have had it all customs, all they have to do is go on FB and such, have the lawyers draw up some papers. THAT'S IT.
shame he didn't do it legally.
XM did that, ask DC we like a license, DC stated ok, show us what you can do. and think that was how they did Samurai Batman

so weird that when I collected MR when they were a company, that they wern't that super popular
Go Snow speeder 400 shipped.
or My Falcon 1,200 shipped
AT-AT 800.00 shipped EX with snow
the saber vault dude wanted to sell his stock so much he canned the workers who messed up on my order,
he was like sorry, and you asked you want this
Han Elite 300 shipped
Stormie Blaster 400 shipped. and so on,
No idea that Ant does have SW Models license, but think he does, that be a money machine EFX have to be TH EBIGGEST BUNCH OF DING BATS. They had license think 08. and yet did 4 ships, and no idea about the SD, to show all those cool models, S1, AT ST, and other and just say hey lets not make them. WHAT DING DONGS
craigcliff1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2024, 03:20 PM   #18
haljordan99
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masa_yodamorph View Post
All of these licensors/companies need to wake the F up. Customs wouldn?t exist if they made collectibles that collectors actually want to buy and not the trash they want customers to buy. Plain and simple.
haljordan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2024, 04:16 PM   #19
qz33
Baron Zemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masa_yodamorph View Post
I highly doubt people will get their NRDs back. That sucks, but comes with the territory with customs. Always risky.

The thing that I didn?t like about MYC is how they basically copied MR ships and didn?t differentiate themselves. Also the prices were too expensive. Yes way cheaper than to buy MR stuff now, but they were gouging because they knew there were a lot of collectors who would buy. Especially the newer collectors who couldn?t get the MR stuff. MYC def took advantage of that and that was not cool. Who gives a F about the IP and Disney not making more money. If anything Master Replicas should have been the ones to cease and desist MYC.

All of these licensors/companies need to wake the F up. Customs wouldn?t exist if they made collectibles that collectors actually want to buy and not the trash they want customers to buy. Plain and simple.
Quote:
Originally Posted by haljordan99 View Post
Ha ha y'all are dreaming.

First of all there's always going to be people that want something other than what is officially solicited.

Second if you think MYC prices were high take those and nearly double them for officially licensed products of similar quality with all the included overhead.

"Oh if only these licensors and licensees would give people what they want there would be no black market"
qz33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2024, 04:19 PM   #20
MechWestern
Sailor Moon

If MYC keeps those NRDs, there are going to be some seriously piiiiiisssssssssed people because those NRDs were NOT small.
MechWestern is offline   Reply With Quote