Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Painter's Pit Stop

Old 10-14-2010, 09:55 AM   #1
Raven08
Doh!

Testor's Dull, Glossy, or Both?

I have finished painting my first ever statue, Colossus and Kitty Pryde, hand painted, I have no airbrush experience and no airbrush, either, for that matter!

I think I'm happy with the way it's turned out, except for the flesh tones for Kitty's face, and the shading there, wow, that was the most difficult part for me.

But now I'm ready to apply a sealer. My paints are all Golden acrylics, except for Colossus I used Tamiya Chrome Silver. I tested some Testor's Dullcoat on the back of his foot and was not happy with how dull and non-metallic it looked.

Is the best way to keep him as shiney as possible to use a gloss coat for him, and everything else the Dullcoat? Testor's does make a gloss coat?

I have also read some here about Future Floor wax, but I am unsure just how to use it in combination with the Testor's sealer, or even if that is what I'm supposed to do.

As a side note, I am always amazed at how fast time flies when I'm working on the piece! I really do enjoy this, and maybe I will get an airbrush some day soon...I have 3 Wolverines waiting to be painted, including a fabulous Logan from Joaquin Palacious in Spain.
Raven08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 05:20 PM   #2
skorpsta
Ghost

well i always use dull coat i like the matte finish..but for colosus you can use the glossy and dull just mask off what you want glossy and what you want dull..would love to see your paint ups..post some pics.
skorpsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 06:42 PM   #3
Raven08
Doh!

Well, I tried it, I brushed the Dullcote onto Kitty's uniform, her face and her hair. It looked fine except for on the black parts. The black didn't look dark any more, it lacked depth to me, in fact, it looked sort of charcoal gray. So I repainted all the black.

Now I'm at a loss as to what to do. I have some Satin varnish made by Liquitex. It says not to overbrush or it will look "foggy", so being such a newbie, I'm very nervous about trying this stuff.

Do pieces need to be sealed, is it okay to not put any sealer on?

Maybe the floor wax is the way to go? I just read the thread about it, and maybe a coat of that over the entire piece will will give it the look I want, and be easier to apply. I'm sorry I'm asking such basic, newbie questions. You guys are all so experienced, I wish I was, too, and knew what to do.

Once I feel like it's finished I will post some pics. Just promise not to laugh...
Raven08 is offline   Reply With Quote